The greatest frontman

um paul westerberg should feature very high on this list and while im at it how about alex chilton. mark from mudhoney has also put on some really great shows

guess ill add the usual company if solo artists and there backing bands count. heres iggy, lou and david as of course they were great. when lou had robert quine in the band it was stellar. hes the guy who made the two richard hell albums so awesome. lou on rock and roll animal is the tops.

Iggy Pop

(Can't really sing or dance but best front man ever!)

Yeah. Richard Butler is my #2, after Morrissey. Then, now…love always. It's impossible to look away from him, and he knows. He knows he's cool as hell, which makes him even cooler.

"Sleep Comes Down" is one of the greatest, most underrated Furs songs. And watching him perform it is hypnotizing.

Also: As happy as I am for his lungs, I do miss watching RB smoke on stage. Nobody ever looked better smoking a cigarette.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: The greatest frontman ???????

Great call. Totally agree.

Now that man commands a stage.

I saw Soundgarden live and Chris Cornell is pretty damn good.

Scott Weiland has always been a hit or miss with me. Some shows he was totally high and slurred his way through the set (in 2008) but the year after he was fantastic.

Yeah. Richard Butler is my #2, after Morrissey. Then, now…love always. It's impossible to look away from him, and he knows. He knows he's cool as hell, which makes him even cooler.

"Sleep Comes Down" is one of the greatest, most underrated Furs songs. And watching him perform it is hypnotizing.

Also: As happy as I am for his lungs, I do miss watching RB smoke on stage. Nobody ever looked better smoking a cigarette.

i saw them play with the happy mondays not very long ago and it was fun though ive never been a fan of the band.

check out scotts solo album if you havent already. its very different than stp

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as guys playing guitar and singing:

Kurt Cobain
Paul Westerberg
Bob Mould

i saw them play with the happy mondays not very long ago and it was fun though ive never been a fan of the band.

That was a fun tour—more than five years ago now, though. 2009. Time flies.

One of my photos from that tour, taken at the Roseland show. (RIP, Roseland.)

3998864475_51bd6052d2_b.jpg

As far as guys playing guitar and singing:

Kurt Cobain
Paul Westerberg
Bob Mould

already done fred though i didnt add mould.

cool chickpea, i saw them at the 9:30 club as its like 45 min away. it was fun and the female singer for the mondays, which is who i really wanted to see, was really good. he didnt move then whole show though. was that the case there as well? i think unicorns opened but i cant remember as im not a fan of that band. it was fun

I love shy men who bring it all out on stage, in addition to Morrissey, Freddie Mercury and Michael Stipe (all shy, reserved men who exploded on stage).

When kurt was in a good place mentally he was amazing on stage. When he wasn't you could see the demons oozing out of him. The infamous cocaine incident is a good example. He looked possessed.

CG, any signs from watching kurt?

Re: The greatest frontman ???????

morrison for sure fits the bill as he for sure had it. he had people listening to him on the street before he did any music. lydon was also really really good at being a frontman as was kurt cobain

the doors sold much more after Morrison died. I think he was a great front man but he never really got to reveal it at the peak of their popularity.

Also, I'm sure many of you know this, but he was very shy when he first started singing and would sing entire shows with his back to the audience.

yeah i have rays light my fire bio and morrison: life death legend as well as two film docs and the bio movie etc but i dont factor best frontman qualities into sales figures. the whole did he show his penis bit seemed to be pretty classically rebellious on stage and a great moment for a great frontman. recording his vocals in the bath, the whole ed sulivan bit along with tons and tons of other examples. when hed put you in the trance and then break it suddenly so you felt a shock is a good example of how he consciously tried to work with the audience who adored him. just sayin

yeah i have rays light my fire bio and morrison: life death legend as well as two film docs and the bio movie etc but i dont factor best frontman qualities into sales figures. the whole did he show his penis bit seemed to be pretty classically rebellious on stage and a great moment for a great frontman. recording his vocals in the bath, the whole ed sulivan bit along with tons and tons of other examples. when hed put you in the trance and then break it suddenly so you felt a shock is a good example of how he consciously tried to work with the audience who adored him. just sayin

Jim was fantastic on stage. Funny how in interviews he was actually quite reserved.

He was on acid during the Hollywood Bowl show and you can tell. Amazing.

never really read many interviews except for in bios and books. jim was many things all i think genuine. summers almost gone is one of my fav songs. also good god robbie. he needs way way way more credit (sorry ray but its true)

"Also: As happy as I am for his lungs, I do miss watching RB smoke on stage. Nobody ever looked better smoking a cigarette"

Except for Serge Gainsbourg, of course!

didnt curtis smoke on stage. i might be recalling that incorrectly but i thought he looked if the image in my minds eye isnt fabricated

Back
Top Bottom