The Importance of being Morrissey

mozziestar

aka the former "Seasick"
Greetings friends,

I viewed the "Importance of being Morrissey" documentary this weekend and was curious as to other fans' take on a particular part of the interview. There is a scene where Moz is visiting a burlesque type club, where the women dancers are scantily-clad. I watched the clip several times and kept noticing the same thing at how Morrissey seemed genuinely embarrassed by the environment. On several occasions, he turns his head or covers his face...almost like a school-age boy being caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

What do you make of this?

It's a natural reaction and I don't think it says anything about him or his sexuality.

Is that what you are wondering? What do YOU make of it?

I find the most moving part of the doc the piece where he is looking down onto a town with his dog, his dog looks at something and Morrissey tries to work out what he's looking at. He seems to have a great connection with his dog and says a lot about his love of animals.

It's a natural reaction and I don't think it says anything about him or his sexuality.

I agree. I don't even think he was there on his own will. I think the entire scene was staged to be shot for the Documentary. That is why we really cannot read too much into it.

f*** the dancers (not literally) but the best part is when he tries to reason that eating meat is akin to child abuse!

Is that what you are wondering? What do YOU make of it?

I find the most moving part of the doc the piece where he is looking down onto a town with his dog, his dog looks at something and Morrissey tries to work out what he's looking at. He seems to have a great connection with his dog and says a lot about his love of animals.

Well, I'm not quite sure. I do think it says something about his sexuality, though I can't seem to put my finger on it. I think something of a sexual nature happened to Morrissey during his formative years that turned him off to the whole essence of sexuality.

Greetings friends,

I viewed the "Importance of being Morrissey" documentary this weekend and was curious as to other fans' take on a particular part of the interview. There is a scene where Moz is visiting a burlesque type club, where the women dancers are scantily-clad. I watched the clip several times and kept noticing the same thing at how Morrissey seemed genuinely embarrassed by the environment. On several occasions, he turns his head or covers his face...almost like a school-age boy being caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

What do you make of this?

His reaction didn't surprise me in the slightest. I would have been more surprised if he had sat and gawped and said "nice tits love".

It'd be funny if it turned out to be The Palms and it was a dykey burlesque club! Unlikely, but hey.

Mozziestar, I think now that he sings about his testicles, he's probably got over whatever issue it may have been that might have plagued him in the past. ;) But I do see what you mean, in a way. (PS: is that a retriever?)

Last edited:
I believe that in the clubscene the embarrasment is more about the enviroment than the sexual aspect of the female dancer. Morrissey isn't very likely to be a big fan of these kinds of places. Or very keen on the people that go there.

I too would be embarrased if someone dragged me to such place.. :eek:

I also saw the program recently, and I wondered:

who is that James O`Brian fellow?

And who is that girl following Morrissey to the that topless dancing thing?

Not sure, but O'Brien worked with Tim Broad, he might have shot some promo videos of Morrissey.

I was exactly the same when my mate dragged me along to a male strip club. It's just not my natural environment. I think Morrissey felt the same.

I really don't think he was dragged there - one thing about Morrissey is that you really can't make him do something he's extremely uncomfortable with. It's odd how we mould our views on Morrissey to suit the situation - if we we heard about him refusing to do something which we would also find distasteful (i.e. go on big brother) we would all say "that's our Morrissey, he never does things which will compromise his dignity", yet when we consider the fact that he has been to a strip club, we assume that he was forced to go!??? It's odd.

He obviously did it as a joke and a windup. He knew it would get a reaction from people who are obsessed with his sexuality.

He did as if he was embarrassed because he was filmed...:cool:
Don't tell me he is afraid of some tits...:p

In connection to your question I

In connection to your question I believe that Morrissey was at the 'BURLESQUE' club because he wanted to be there and his reaction is just fabulously typical of Morrissey who is an intensely shy man, just because he's in his 40's in the film does not mean he still doesn't get emabarrssed with regards to sexual things. He's just seemed very innocent and childlike in that scene. It was lovely!

But he didn't seem embarrassed at all when he was looking at some photos of nude girls at Pigalle!:eek:

Back
Top Bottom