The Origin Of Morrissey Dissent

Before, Truck Driver and His Mate and Hit and Miss is a great single, and then the other version with the Before remixes is also great.
I think Will O' The Wisp from the latest one is a great companion to Kings Cross.
They did three records with the same producer and the next one will probably be a lot different.
Yeah I’ve got them all. The track ‘Vocal’ is actually one of their best for a long time I think.

I wasn’t too keen on Super, but Hotspot was a lot better.

Just out of interest, how long do you think they’ll keep going, in your opinion?

Oh, & do you have the b-sides albums?

I like Vocal a lot, too. A couple other recent ones I really like are Will O' The Wisp and Your Early Stuff. That one is supposedly based on a conversation with a cab driver.
I don't have Format but I have Alternative. I used to buy all the singles and collections but now I usually buy individual track downloads.
I imagine they will keep recording as long as health permits. It's probably more interesting than most other ways they could spend their time and it turns a profit so why not?
No, I agree, I hope they do, I just wonder sometimes how long certain acts will continue. Elysium is a great album, it got a bit of stick when it came out but I think it’s up there with Behaviour.

I’d recommend getting Format, it’s fantastic. Some of the b-sides on Alternative I think would have been number 1 singles if they’d released them.

Nice to speak to another PSB fan, I don’t actually know that many. Not of their current stuff anyway, I think a lot of people don’t even realise they’re still going.

@Fake C have you ever seen them live? I have, once, in the late 90s on the Nightlife tour. They did a good show, but the problem is, whenever someone has a new album out, it’s never really the dream set list you’d like to hear.

Seems like an odd thing to get hung up about though. Why can't he dictate how he wants his band to look on stage?
It’s just people wanting to slag Morrissey off H4W. His band won’t care I bet. They’re all good musicians, I’m sure they could get work elsewhere if required. Ok, maybe not at the moment with COVID, but generally.

Of course I realise they are adults, but they are also on Morrissey's payroll and are paid to do as they are told. Out of interest, how do you think it would go down if they didn't consent?
Exactly! If Morrissey wants them to wear white hoods and robes then they do it. What's the problem!

I stopped caring when he stopped caring. The quality of his writing sharply dropped after Quarry, though his live performances remained vital and exciting until around 2008 / 2009. After that, I felt that he began to overtly phone it in, both in the studio and on the stage. Lyrics devoid of poetry and insight, setlists and concerts devoid of joy and personal investment.

As someone else mentioned earlier in the thread, none of this is helped by the fact that the backing group has turned into a revolving cast of subpar nobodies. There's no sense of unity, there's no sense that you're watching a band perform. Everyone on stage generally seems miserable and stressed out.

I stopped caring when he stopped caring. The quality of his writing sharply dropped after Quarry, though his live performances remained vital and exciting until around 2008 / 2009. After that, I felt that he began to overtly phone it in, both in the studio and on the stage. Lyrics devoid of poetry and insight, setlists and concerts devoid of joy and personal investment.

As someone else mentioned earlier in the thread, none of this is helped by the fact that the backing group has turned into a revolving cast of subpar nobodies. There's no sense of unity, there's no sense that you're watching a band perform. Everyone on stage generally seems miserable and stressed out.
I agree with you re live performances, not so much the rest, but I'm left scratching my head as to what keeps you interested enough to visit this site regularly. I stopped caring about many performers/authors/artists when I felt the quality of their output began to dwindle. I cannot imagine myself staying up to date with their news after that point.

The dedication you and others exhibit to following his career shows the level of obsession his current fans/once-fans feel towards him, and it's a bit unnerving. It's a mystery to me how and why he's managed to attract such an inordinate number of hyper-fixated fanatics (both pro- and anti-Moz :ROFLMAO:), and it's even stranger how he's managed to keep them so hyperfixated even though he's evidently stopped giving two hoots about his public persona a long time ago.

I agree with you re live performances, not so much the rest, but I'm left scratching my head as to what keeps you interested enough to visit this site regularly. I stopped caring about many performers/authors/artists when I felt the quality of their output began to dwindle. I cannot imagine myself staying up to date with their news after that point.

The dedication you and others exhibit to following his career shows the level of obsession his current fans/once-fans feel towards him, and it's a bit unnerving. It's a mystery to me how and why he's managed to attract such an inordinate number of hyper-fixated fanatics (both pro- and anti-Moz :ROFLMAO:), and it's even stranger how he's managed to keep them so hyperfixated even though he's evidently stopped giving two hoots about his public persona a long time ago.

31ccf165a161b240675b4ebb06053c3b.jpg

Love.

I love Morrissey. I listen to his pre-2007 output regularly and his music still means a great deal to me. I've seen him a million times and I still tend to catch him once per tour if the timing is convenient. I'll always follow his career with curiosity and criticism.

I still buy the albums but in the second week of release so it doesnt help the chart position, and I refuse to see him live ever again until he formally and unambiguously retracts his support far right politics. His endorsement remains there on his website for everyone to see with all its sickeningly ugly rhetoric about the bulldog spirit and living under one law. That was the final straw for me.

I was reflecting on how there are more posts on this site from 'fans' who disparage Morrissey than there are those who support him.

It got me wondering as to what era this dissent started creeping in.

I know much of it is simply posted to counter balance the sycophants who then up their level of blind adoration in similar rebellion.

Before the internet's widespread adoption though, I remember fans at concerts and in fanzines starting to criticise the musical output during the Southpaw era.

Many had got tired of the Alain Whyte 'Unisong' where you knew what it sounded like before you heard it. Many fans yearned for Moz to seek a new songwriting foil as they'd been spoiled by Marr, Reilly and Street's output prior to that point.

It was also felt that Moz had stopped caring about the high standard of composition and lyric that had gained him his fame and following to begin with.

Interestingly, many now yearn for the return of Whyte, probably due to his era being the one in which they became a fan.

When did you start the process of turning from Moz worshipper into objective moderate or outright hater and what influenced you to do it?
Alain wrote some good songs but he also wrote a ton of bland indie filler. The quality of the songwriting on 'Dog on a Chain' is way above that of the average Morrissey Whyte composition.

It's a mystery to me how and why he's managed to attract such an inordinate number of hyper-fixated fanatics (both pro- and anti-Moz :ROFLMAO:), and it's even stranger how he's managed to keep them so hyperfixated even though he's evidently stopped giving two hoots about his public persona a long time ago.
the answer is neurodiversity , of the artist and the fans.

Seems like an odd thing to get hung up about though. Why can't he dictate how he wants his band to look on stage?
I'm not hung about it. If anything I was a bit surprised that someone picked out that (the band mention) rather than any of the earlier things I mentioned in my post, but each to their own.

He cares greatly about his public persona, but what you and uncle skinny don't see is that he chooses to present himself in a negative way. He talks much more about his public persona than he does about his music. What he does makes sense if you're not hung up on looking for a positive outcome.
That's why @Uncleskinny 's insistence that it's all about money reveals much more about himself than it does about Morrissey. Morrissey cares greatly about chart positions, not simply because it means more income, but because it means more attention from the public. He cared very much about the possibility of "I'm Wrapping My Arms Around Paris" being re-released ("a guaranteed number one!") to capitalize on the terror attacks in Paris to the point that when it didn't happen he continued to talk about it and even lie about it. Nothing in that exercise made him a penny nor did it make him look good, but it did keep people talking.

I think most of the fixated fans who now are "anti-Moz" with the greatest example of this being @Uncleskinny are people that feel he owes them something because they bought his records and saw his shows, but most of all because they felt that being his fan was somehow an important part of their identities. It's the same with several of the most vocal "pro-Moz" fans, some of whom are quite "woke" in other areas but will allow him to get away with anything and will endlessly explain exactly what he "really meant." Hi @Nerak and @Ketamine Sun

Why should he apologizes for what he feels? Do you apologise for what you feel?
Because the entire world he created through the Smiths and beyond was totally and utterly at odds with right wing politics. He is not a genuinely right wing person - he is just a total and utter f ***ing idiot when it comes to politics and world affairs. He really hasn't got a clue. And his foolishness and intellectual laziness is destroying his career.

I still buy the albums but in the second week of release so it doesnt help the chart position, and I refuse to see him live ever again until he formally and unambiguously retracts his support far right politics. His endorsement remains there on his website for everyone to see with all its sickeningly ugly rhetoric about the bulldog spirit and living under one law. That was the final straw for me.
I’m sure Morrissey is really bothered by your stance.

I’m sure Morrissey is really bothered by your stance.
Of course he isn't but unfortunately my actions are mirrored by tens of thousands of his previous fans, and that means (whilst he remains a far-right political campaigner) he will probably never get a record deal again as long as he lives. He will be quite bothered by that.

He cares greatly about his public persona, but what you and uncle skinny don't see is that he chooses to present himself in a negative way. He talks much more about his public persona than he does about his music. What he does makes sense if you're not hung up on looking for a positive outcome.
That's why @Uncleskinny 's insistence that it's all about money reveals much more about himself than it does about Morrissey. Morrissey cares greatly about chart positions, not simply because it means more income, but because it means more attention from the public. He cared very much about the possibility of "I'm Wrapping My Arms Around Paris" being re-released ("a guaranteed number one!") to capitalize on the terror attacks in Paris to the point that when it didn't happen he continued to talk about it and even lie about it. Nothing in that exercise made him a penny nor did it make him look good, but it did keep people talking.

I think most of the fixated fans who now are "anti-Moz" with the greatest example of this being @Uncleskinny are people that feel he owes them something because they bought his records and saw his shows, but most of all because they felt that being his fan was somehow an important part of their identities. It's the same with several of the most vocal "pro-Moz" fans, some of whom are quite "woke" in other areas but will allow him to get away with anything and will endlessly explain exactly what he "really meant." Hi @Nerak and @Ketamine Sun

Trolling for attention fake c ?

Anyway you do a very good job of explaining why you think Morrissey does what he does in your post above, even if it may not be true for all and is only your opinion.

:tiphat:

Trolling for attention fake c ?

Anyway you do a very good job of explaining why you think Morrissey does what he does in your post #80, even if it may not be true for some and only your opinion.

:tiphat:
His motives are what they are. I'm either right or wrong. At least it's logical.
He definitely hasn't been doing it all for money because he could have made so much more if that was the goal. He'd have done that reunion he discussed with Marr for one thing. As for the beliefs you and Karen hold, they're immune to logical tests as they seem to be the result of chance and improvisation.

Not touring Vauxhall & not trying to repeat the formula with Southpaw.
May be an unpopular opinion, but he was so big (live) in 91/92 and did his
best studio album in 94, that is all got a bit less exciting afterwards.
There was kind of a comeback with Quarry, but the following studio outputs were
mediocre. His ill-advised comments on a lot of subjects (Yes, I know: Free speech)
in the last 10 years, led him nowhere but further down.

Back
Top Bottom