The Pet Peeves Thread

I know you lot must have pet peeves...let's hear about 'em! :D

Here are some of mine:
1. When people say "It's a small world, isn't it?" (invariably with a smile)
(well, no, it sure as hell isn't)

2. In the airplane, passengers using the back of my seat as a handle to get up from their seat. (i just want to sock 'em!)

3. When people suddenly stop in the middle of a busy corridor without a thought about the traffic flow behind them- and you bump smack into them
(i just want to kick 'em in the eye!)

4. Saying "excuse me" when the one saying it is really not even close to being in your way (i always glare at 'em :) )

5. "How are you?" as a greeting. (in general that is...not applicable for people who know me well, as in good friends or family --- i mean this mostly towards people who don't know me well or at all)

6. People saying the time of a call on voice mails when they know they are calling your mobile phone. ( c'mon folks, you know cell phones have an automated time stamp on the message told to you ahead of the message playback?? :rolleyes: )

7. People who leave you a long, rambling voice mail with lots of pauses and "um's", and then AT THE VERY END quickly say their call-back number without a repeat of it. Then you have to listen to the damn message all over again (if for some reason it is not a number picked up by your phone or is a different number than the one they called from or something)

(may be continued...i know i have (MANY) more) :D

bus drivers in this capital. trained at the rudness school of being rude. never mind customer service.

the new self service tills at some of the larger supermarkets.

chewing gum on seats, the pavement, floors generally any gum that isn't in the bin, as it is normally then stuck to my arse or my shoes.

trying to watch a film trailor on the internet, then being told you have to update your wot ever....

my kitchen seems to be constantly in a mess.

the smell of the toilets at work.

deodorant that makes my armpit itch and leaves white marks on my clothes.

most television.

Those price tags stickers that they put on the books at Borders not taken off...

People who compliment you on your clothes when it's obvious they hate them.

'Are you wearing a man's shirt?'

'Yeah, so?'

'It looks great. *small cough that you can't really challenge the person about*'

'No it doesn't actually, I looked in the mirror this morning.'

'Misunderstood' musicians. Oh no, he wasnt being a stupid n*bbing c**t, it's his creativity, you just don't understand.

Ladies who lunch they buy s**t loads of clothes, they cant be arsed to try them on, they take them back to the shop with no reciept/over the time limit and scream when they don't get their own way!

Drivers who ignore red lights the number of times I've nearly been run over!
Red top papers lies

I'm going to add to this...

what happens at them that is annoying?

ooh, i hate that too... and same goes for stepping in dog poo in grass

well you start by pressing the screen, scan the item then put it in the bagging arrea. if it doesn't detect the item in the bagging area the till gets annoyed and you can't continue. then if something needs to weighed, going through the list takes forever. always seems loads of people confused by the machines; why can't we have people to serve us.

stepping in dog plop anyway!!!!

People who take and take from the bootleg section of this board and do not return the favor of reposting or putting shit up.

People who say "yeah"....It's YES

Please & Thank yous go a long way...some people need to try it

Cell phones within an eating establishment

Rude people in a public shopping environment

People who pick their nose in public

Hats at the dinner table

BR

People who say "it is what it is." They say this when they have nothing to say.

People who say "like" all the time.

Drivers who constantly do Hollywood stops.

People who get angry about nothing.

Angry people.

People with really strong Liverpool accents, (they sound like they're just constantly whining! Then again, generally they are.)

People who stand in huddles on street corners, trying to look intimidating, then expect you to be scared when they jump out and go 'BLAHHH!'

People who can't understand why I don't like the Pussycat Dolls.

The Pussycat Dolls.

People who use the word 'gay' as an insult, along with 'mong' 'gimp' 'retard' and 'lez'.

People who ask you 'are you going out with all your mates at the weekend' when clearly inferring that you have no friends to go out with (well, just because it's true doesn't mean you have to say it!)

Would you prefer "how bad are you?"
Well, i didn't say they ask "how good (or 'well') are you?" (such that the antonym above would the logical, perfect alternative)... Rather, "how are you?" is what is customarily said, and which theoretially is asking for some description anywhere on the continuum between "good/well" and "bad/terrible".

But to (ignore any implied dig and) more thoroughly address this topic, it is along the same line as:
People who say "it is what it is." They say this when they have nothing to say.

The problem is that if people really don't know someone else at all or very well, then they are saying "How are you?" only as a pleasantry and expecting an answer of "fine" or "well" back. They don't really intend to receive a full, genuine response, and you aren't always doing fine or well to actually be answering honestly. But you are certainly not going to get into your true feelings with someone who is asking this empty question simply as a polite convention and to have something to say.

I guess the point is: why ask that question of someone whom you are just meeting (or really don't know well), when you can almost guarantee a fixed, meaningless reply? To me, the question is then actually worthless and phony.

I much prefer a simple greeting of "Hi" and then launch into anything else more "real" that can elicit a true reply, if one's intent is to spend time talking to the other person (ie, you are not just moving by someone quickly in passing --- and if you are just rapidly going by them, then "Hi" suffices.)

(There must be others who share this POV??!!)

More: People who say LOL online when they're clearly not laughing at all.

TV Channels who have the same adverts for months on end. I can recite the damn things off by heart now.

Adults who look at you incredulously when you say that you like the Sex Pistols 'Aren't they like, waaay before your time?'

People who ask you 'Why aren't you dancing?' 'Because I don't like you, or your party' but you can't say that...

Couples who walk along the street holding hands.
People who are late all the time
People who ring up radio shows to enter pop quizzes when they don't know anything about pop music.
Busybodies.
Lulu.

people who are constantly at the doctors for any tiny problem, taking up all the appointments so it's almost impossible for anyone else to get in

shop assisstants who would rather spend ages taking to their friends rather than serving the next person in the line

iTunes 7 - it messes up my computer, I manage to go back to an earlier version of iTunes yet it still expects me to upgrade and go back to iTunes 7?! Not a chance!

Filesharing networks full of people with no files to share who can't understand it when people with files to share ban them

Tall people at gigs who ALWAYS seem to stand in front of me. People at gigs who seem to watch all of the gig via their mobile phone. People at gigs who phone people and hold up the phone so the person the other end can hear a really, really bad version of the song for 30 seconds.

Last edited:
Tags
she said sharp rob
Back
Top Bottom