the Pretty in Pink Soundtrack (featuring The Smiths) at 35

from: https://rockandrollglobe.com/new-wave/left-of-center-the-pretty-in-pink-soundtrack-at-35/

Left of Center: the Pretty in Pink Soundtrack at 35​

Director John Hughes’s curatorial powers got college rock higher than ever on the charts

Remember when the Smiths, New Order, and the Psychedelic Furs made the top 5 on Billboard’s album chart?

The album has a number of now-iconic UK college rock artists on it, none of whom had come anywhere near the tops of the US pops in 1986: New Order (who actually had a trio of songs featured in the film, though only “Shell-Shock” appears on its soundtrack), Echo and the Bunnymen, the Smiths, Psychedelic Furs (who re-recorded “Pretty in Pink,” originally from their ‘81 album Talk Talk Talk, in a slightly more pop-friendly version for the film; the new single peaked at #41 in the US), and most of all, British synthpop stars Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, a/k/a OMD, whose “If You Leave” soundtracked the film’s climactic prom scene. Previously unknown to American top 40 audiences, their song became a huge hit, peaking at #4 on the Hot 100.

It also helped New Order and Echo & The Bunnymen sell out a huge co headlining tour in the States the year after.

Went to see the Psychedelic Furs 3 years ago on a US tour.
Lots of middle aged ladies sat in their seats politely applauding songs they didn't know waiting for the one song they did know. And when it came on, up they rose, transformed into crazy dancers as if there life depended on it.... And the song ended and unbelievably a good number of them (and their male partners) headed for the exit with plenty of the show remaining.

Lots of middle aged ladies sat in their seats politely applauding songs they didn't know waiting for the one song they did know. And when it came on, up they rose, transformed into crazy dancers as if there life depended on it.... And the song ended and unbelievably a good number of them (and their male partners) headed for the exit with plenty of the show remaining.

You mean just like at a Morrissey show?

i mentioned if you leave by omd on here a few years ago,had a discussion with someone about it being one of the great break-up songs,it is a great song and deserved its number 4 in the good ole u s a.

i mentioned if you leave by omd on here a few years ago,had a discussion with someone about it being one of the great break-up songs,it is a great song and deserved its number 4 in the good ole u s a.
Love OMD, first band I ever seen. Back in 86. Andy McCluskey was like a man possessed..

They were the opening act at The Festival of the 10th summer gig at G Mex in 86. Wasn't sure what to expect but they were brilliant.
Also loved that they weren’t like other bands from the 80s as they never chased the limelight, and they were never in your face.

Also loved that they weren’t like other bands from the 80s as they never chased the limelight, and they were never in your face.
I bought this live album of theirs last year, the passion in Andy's delivery of the songs is fantastic.

Love OMD, first band I ever seen. Back in 86. Andy McCluskey was like a man possessed..
I love them. I hear they are playing some UK concerts later in the year. I've never seen them live but would love to, especially if they were playing the old albums in their entirety, as they sometimes do. I've got their first few albums on vinyl and they are fantastic.

It always amazes me when some people leave like that, or talk all the way through concerts. Do they get their tickets for free? I wouldn't spend £40 or £50 or £whatever on a concert unless I really wanted to be there. I'm reading Gary Numan's autobiography and he mentions how in Japan the audience clap but then go all quiet in case the artist wants to talk between songs. I wish all concerts were like that. So many times an artist like Moz starts to say something and then gives up.

His comments at the start of this live video of If you leave always make me smile, and then the song takes me to a proper emotional state!!

It always amazes me when some people leave like that, or talk all the way through concerts. Do they get their tickets for free? I wouldn't spend £40 or £50 or £whatever on a concert unless I really wanted to be there. I'm reading Gary Numan's autobiography and he mentions how in Japan the audience clap but then go all quiet in case the artist wants to talk between songs. I wish all concerts were like that. So many times an artist like Moz starts to say something and then gives up.

I've only ever done that once. In 2010 Bernard Sumner had a side project called Bad Lieutenant and they supported Ian Brown at Platts Fields in Manchester, it sold out in mins to 15k people. Bad Lieutenant were superb playing tracks from their debut album, Never Cry Another Tear and some NO and JD stuff. Ian Brown came on and was absolutely diabolical, out of tune, incoherent, after 5 songs we though balls to this and jumped into a cab back to Alderley Edge.

Your comments about Japan are spot on - Here's some footage of New Order in Tokyo from 1985.

I've only ever done that once. In 2010 Bernard Sumner had a side project called Bad Lieutenant and they supported Ian Brown at Platts Fields in Manchester, it sold out in mins to 15k people. Bad Lieutenant were superb playing tracks from their debut album, Never Cry Another Tear and some NO and JD stuff. Ian Brown came on and was absolutely diabolical, out of tune, incoherent, after 5 songs we though balls to this and jumped into a cab back to Alderley Edge.

Your comments about Japan are spot on - Here's some footage of New Order in Tokyo from 1985.

There's a difference between leaving because the artist is crap and leaving because the only song you know - the one you came to hear - has been played!

Easily one of the most perfect movie soundtracks of all time.

His comments at the start of this live video of If you leave always make me smile, and then the song takes me to a proper emotional state!!
I heard/saw this cover of a Mercury Rev song for the first time last night and was mesmerised. Every time I watch it it gives me a wave of emotion. Now THIS is a proper cover, not like the 'I never promised you a rose garden' Moz claptrap.

Easily one of the most perfect movie soundtracks of all time.
In terms of films using songs from various artists? Yes. Also there are many brilliant film soundtracks such as Morricone's Once Upon A Time In America, Morricone/Carpenter's The Thing, Carpenter/Howarth's Halloween 3, Zimmer's Interstellar, Nino Rota's The Godfather, etc. I probably listen to soundtrack vinyl more often than 'bands'. Especially synth/electronic stuff.

Classic! What a respectful happy audience. I must look that concert up on utube to find more songs. Proper quality recording.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom