The Smiths And ’80s Indie Style - mojo4music.com

That photo looks like it might have been taken at Joe Moss's place.

Nope, if you scroll down the caption tells you it was taken in The Moles Club, Bath in September 1983.

EDIT: Actually it was taken in Bristol, not Bath (#12 user Sam Nee corrected info).

Last edited:
The Smiths And ’80s Indie Style - MOJO

The Smiths, My Bloody Valentine, bowl cuts, pointy boots… 5 classic indie looks critiqued by A Scene In Between author Sam Knee.

By IAN HARRISON

Excerpt:

Sam Knee’s fashion analysis: “The Smiths look – which, obviously due to the band’s enormous appeal, was the most widespread indie style model – combined floaty, blousy shirts, Levi 501s and DM shoes… The indie aesthetic overall was subtly subversive if thought out correctly and practised with precision. There were certainly various multifarious strains all sharing a zest for escapism, romanticism and peaceful protest. It was in many ways about separating oneself and surviving outside of the garish mainstream and grim realities of Thatcher’s Britain via a poetic Left Bank-ish paisley haze. But achieving this without drawing too much overt attention.”

smiths-new.jpg

At the Moles Club, Bath, September 1983. By Martin Whitehead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nicely written, but bowl cuts and pointy shoes made its first debut in the music scene in the early 1960's. Fashion always comes back around the block - with added flair.

Last edited:
Absolutely loving that rare early MBV picture. Kevin Shields looks so geeky back then :p

Nicely written, but bowl cuts and pointy shoes made its first debut in the music scene in the early 1960's. Fashion always come back around the block - with added flair.

Exactly what I wanted to say. This fashion style reminds me of 60's garage rockers, who had similar haircuts and boots.

Rehearsal?

This predates their first gig on record--the Ritz on Oct. 4.

@ Eugenius - wrong it's nearly a year after the Ritz gig if the info is correct.

@ Eugenius - wrong it's nearly a year after the Ritz gig if the info is correct.

Crap, thanks Eric. In my impaired state, I couldn't make the mental switch from '83 and '84. The rarity of the photo threw me.

Is this photo 'previously unseen'? I don't recall seeing it before, but strange that it should pop-up in an article referencing bands including The Smiths

Actually, it's true. This shot is just one from a whole film taken by an art student, that until now have only been in negative form and left dormant in a shoe box for thirty years.
A selection are being published by Cicada Books next month in my UK 80's indie fashion tome A Scene In Between.
The rest of these stunning early shots i plan to put on the new blog asceneinbetween.com to coincide with the books launch in a couple of weeks.
Lastly the venue was in Bristol, not Bath, as i originally believed.

Actually, it's true. This shot is just one from a whole film taken by an art student, that until now have only been in negative form and left dormant in a shoe box for thirty years.
A selection are being published by Cicada Books next month in my UK 80's indie fashion tome A Scene In Between.
The rest of these stunning early shots i plan to put on the new blog asceneinbetween.com to coincide with the books launch in a couple of weeks.
Lastly the venue was in Bristol, not Bath, as i originally believed.

Thanks

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom