The Smiths official Twitter account is now live

I just hope they still talk or are willing to talk, they made such great music together, synergy they had. I truly believe with all of my heart it would be really good for Morrissey to at least talk to Johnny again.

The smiths have split up twice.

They released last of the famous and interesting drug.

Morrissey may not have split the band the first time but he most definitely did the second time around.

I think you all forget that.

And yes , in a heartbeat I would be up for reforming , it would be incredible.

Last edited:
I remember reading an interview with Marr many years ago in which he said that due to his economic situation he wouldn't turn a reunion. Does anyone have the scan or the link?

Also, Morrissey wrote in Autobiography that, after the trial, Marr approached him to work together again...

Nah, from the press I read he turned around mid-2000's into being open to a reunion but as he's stated in recent years he tried to get the band back together but it's just simply not possible i.e Morrissey wants nothing to do with it. There doesn't even seem to be any cordial communication between the two anymore and both biographies (Marr's to come later this year) will probably further the rift if anything though I think Johnny will probably pull his punches even if criticism of himself and Joe Moss in Moz's book likely still rankles.

As shown in the tedius TTY updates, Morrissey is living in his own bubble and unless circumstances dictate that he and Johnny have to spend time with each other I don't ever see the 2 back on stage together again (regardless of the further lows Morrissey hits) as he allegedly can't "perform" with people he doesn't have relationships with even though the irony is he's probably talked to his current bassist twice...

I think everyone from fans to the band themselves would benefit from Morrissey, Marr and Rourke back together (Si Wolstencroft on drums for heritage?) but the ego is too far gone - if his ex-band mates were animals not humans he'd be there in a shot no doubt but sadly he doesn't do human empathy anymore hence the lyrical dirge now overtaking the threadbare tunes his backing band produce in shitness stakes.

lol i'm sorry, but i don't believe one word morrissey says and from what i've heard on twitter (some people from the manchester music scene) have said that it was the other way around, that johnny wants nothing to do with morrissey

- - - Updated - - -

I just hope they still talk or are willing to talk, they made such great music together, synergy they had. I truly believe with all of my heart it would be really good for Morrissey to at least talk to Johnny again.

same! but's not going to happen, unfortunately. They really had such a great friendship and is a shame how all ended :straightface:

Well if I was Moz I would go for taking as much from the plebs as poss, (but Morrissey is an artist, I'm more of a breadhead) but I would insist on a particular pleb being left out of the reunion/lineup lol. I would also ban a certain creature who has spent all his downtime for a unhealthy amount of years, here, slating Morrissey. My 4 penneth.

I remember reading an interview with Marr many years ago in which he said that due to his economic situation he wouldn't reject a reunion. Does anyone have the link or the scan?

Also, Morrissey wrote in Autobiography that , after the trial, Marr approached him in order to work together.

There's a statement (not signed by Morrissey) on true-to-you now.

Regarding a reunion... I've been watching YouTube videos of the guns n roses reunion on YouTube. The awkwardness between Axl and Slash is incredibly awkward. I imagine it'd be the same between Morrissey and Marr. They haven't been friends for close to thirty years. Would you pick up where you left off with school friends? I know I wouldn't. They have nothing in common anymore.

This is a ridiculous quote from morrissey.

If , in 1987 all four of them walked away from the public limelight and never to be seen again , then yes I agree , people do change and who they were in the 80s are not the same people in 2016......but

All four of them are still in the limelight.....at differing levels I agree but we do know them and they know each other and in my opinion this makes the reformation even stronger because..........PEOPLE DO CHANGE.

morrissey may not have liked the other three in the 80s ( which is utter bollocks - he has stated that he never wanted to be a solo artist and he didnt have a gun to his head , so he could have walked away from the smiths at any point , oh and see the south bank show , he doesn't looked pissed off at all ) but he may like them as people now and vice versa.

At the end of the day , morrissey is a selfish control freak ( making his "band" cough cough wear matching clothing ) which is unhealthy.

Besides , I don't think johnny marr , andy or mike would work with him again.

Now on the other hand , if johnny , andy , mike and Craig got back together with let's say brett Anderson on vocals and toured , that would be incredible.

There's a statement (not signed by Morrissey) on true-to-you now.

Regarding a reunion... I've been watching YouTube videos of the guns n roses reunion on YouTube. The awkwardness between Axl and Slash is incredibly awkward. I imagine it'd be the same between Morrissey and Marr. They haven't been friends for close to thirty years. Would you pick up where you left off with school friends? I know I wouldn't. They have nothing in common anymore.

Well personality wise they never had anything in common which is why it worked.

They only crossed over on the music they both liked.

It was a miracle that Billy Duffy gave birth to The Smiths.

It was a miracle that they even made it that far.

I think three miracles is being a tad greedy, even for this Catholic.

Morrissey will never share a public stage with Joyce again (unless it's as his hangman...)

Morrissey & Marr? Maybe someday. I think, like so much in life, it will take a death to change things.

Not so sure of this given the recent Bowie events. I think Moz is more than capable of holding grudges well beyond the grave. I would expect the same number of words in a TTY post for Mike's passing as for David's...zero. You cross him (in his mind, whether justified or not) and you're crossed off.

I would suggest a Journey style reunion and see if they are able to replace the irreplaceable singer. The words are written and the songs constructed, all that is left is to play them, and unless you are towards the front you can't really make out who is on stage especially if they were to play stadiums. Replace the replacements (lawnmower parts) with the real band and watch the music come alive again. Don't stop believin'!

I think Marr, Morrissey and Andy can reform, but Morrissey will never allow Mike Joyce to play with him again, it will happen with another drummer obviously. The money will be too good for them and will feel no shame leaving Joyce out.

To think if Joyce wasn't so money Hungary in 1995 and didn't sue Morrissey and Marr, The Smiths would have most likely reformed in the early 2000's and he would have made a lot more money...oh well

i think it would be really cheap and grasping to get back together. the smiths belonged so much to the eighties. what's wrong with a thing staying in the era in which belongs, which gave to birth it?

- - - Updated - - -

that said, i would still go see it, to quote skinny, "like a shot" lololol

If , in 1987 all four of them walked away from the public limelight and never to be seen again , then yes I agree , people do change and who they were in the 80s are not the same people in 2016......but

All four of them are still in the limelight.....at differing levels I agree but we do know them and they know each other and in my opinion this makes the reformation even stronger because..........PEOPLE DO CHANGE.

morrissey may not have liked the other three in the 80s ( which is utter bollocks - he has stated that he never wanted to be a solo artist and he didnt have a gun to his head , so he could have walked away from the smiths at any point , oh and see the south bank show , he doesn't looked pissed off at all ) but he may like them as people now and vice versa.

At the end of the day , morrissey is a selfish control freak ( making his "band" cough cough wear matching clothing ) which is unhealthy.

Now on the other hand , if johnny , andy , mike and Craig got back together with let's say brett Anderson on vocals and toured , that would be incredible.

You mean even though Mike has said he wants a reunion and Andy very obviously would welcome the money? :lbf:

There are a lot of great singers and clever lyricists out there that would be great fronting a Smiths sans Morrissey album... Neil Hannon springs to mind. I'd really rather get a few albums of new material than a reunion tour. Also, Morrissey could put out an all-call to the music world stating he'd like to do an album of collaborations and would welcome unsolicited demos from established artists- good way to freshen up his output AND land a recording contract. Basically, I'd like to hear Johnny backing a good singer/lyricist and I'd like to hear Morrissey backed by a clever song-writer again. If they got back together it would kill two birds with one stone but I'd welcome either situation.

I agree with a lot of what you said, but to claim Morrissey has been playing to crowds of 1000-2000 recently is complete nonsense. He was actually doing some of that in 1997-2002, but post-2004 comeback, most shows (sans an oddball booking) are in at least 3000+ capacity venues. And many, many shows in much bigger rooms than that.

Agreed. I was a little too dismissive about his draw, but there's no denying he isn't selling out the venues on most nights. By contrast, The Cure have sold out nearly every date they've announced, and in 18-24,000 capacity venues. Apples and Oranges, but still.

Here would be the most unlikely twitter post one could think of "the newly elected mayor of London, Morrissey, takes the stage at Wembley Stadium with his former band The Smiths to play a victory concert celebrating his election."

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom