The Smiths Rhino Sampler CD 2012 Question

jeff992

Hi, I have a question about the Rhino sampler CD from 2012 with the Smiths standing in front of Salford Lads Club. It's PRCD 400219. I thought I remembered seeing many ebay auctions for this one where the seller said the tracklist listed on the CD and artwork was completely different than what plays on the CD itself. So I figured that's how mine was too but never actually played it until right now. Mine does play exactly what the artwork says it should. How Soon is Now and then Bigmouth, then What Difference, etc. Since Passions is not back up yet, can anyone enlighten me on this? Am I remembering the auctions incorrectly or am I thinking of something else? Does everyone's play the correct songs or do some discs play a totally different set of songs? Thanks.

Jeff

My copy plays a completely different set of songs - and yes, I did play it through when I got it, to check. :)

The actual tracklisting on mine is:

1. Pretty Girls Make Graves
2. What Difference Does It Make?
3. The Headmaster Ritual
4. Barbarism Begins At Home
5. Frankly Mr Shankly
6. Vicar In A Tutu
7. Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others
8. Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before
9. Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now
10. Ask
11. Is It Really So Strange?
12. The Draize Train (Live)

I always assumed that all copies were mispressed as well, but unless you've been sold a counterfeit copy, I guess that's not the case! Perhaps there were multiple print runs, and the manufacturer only caught the error to correct it for the last batch? (I'm just guessing here...I have no idea how these sort of things actually work!) Interesting, anyway.

Thanks for the answer. As far as I can tell mine is legit and not counterfeit. Most ebay auctions I saw mentioned the thing about the wrong songs so I assumed mine was like that too and didn't listen to it for a few months. Now I hope mine is real but I'd think so.

My copy plays a completely different set of songs - and yes, I did play it through when I got it, to check. :)

The actual tracklisting on mine is:

1. Pretty Girls Make Graves
2. What Difference Does It Make?
3. The Headmaster Ritual
4. Barbarism Begins At Home
5. Frankly Mr Shankly
6. Vicar In A Tutu
7. Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others
8. Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before
9. Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now
10. Ask
11. Is It Really So Strange?
12. The Draize Train (Live)

I always assumed that all copies were mispressed as well, but unless you've been sold a counterfeit copy, I guess that's not the case! Perhaps there were multiple print runs, and the manufacturer only caught the error to correct it for the last batch? (I'm just guessing here...I have no idea how these sort of things actually work!) Interesting, anyway.

Thanks for the input Stefan. I'd also like to know if anyone else's plays the printed tracklist as mine does. I really don't think it's a faked copy. Although I guess someone could have seen that these were selling for a lot on ebay and decided to make fake ones and then put the printed tracklist on there, not knowing that the wrong songs actually played. However, I assume that for whatever reason, there are legit ones of both types, correct songs and incorrect ones. Anyone else want to let us know what yours plays?

Mine does also play the 'Mispressed' tracklist. I'd be interested, too, if there are any copys out there actually playing the printed tracklist.

So still no answer to your question Jeff? I did not succeed in getting a 'correct' copy so far but i assume just as you do that both versions are in existance. The question will be, which one is rarer? So fellow collectors please give your input: do you have the correct or the mispressed version? I think some people around her do have copies...

http://www.discogs.com/Smiths-The-Smiths-Sampler/release/3677881

There are photos along with information.
Seems like they were made with the mispress?

The listing on Discogs was made from my own copy, which is the mispressed version...so I'm afraid that's not going to be much help! :( I didn't actually realise at the time though that some were pressed with the correct tracklisting. Maybe Jeff or someone else with the other version could create a separate Discogs listing for it, and the current one can be noted as a mispressing?

Back
Top Bottom