The Smiths - The Best British Band Of All Time? - God Is In The TV

The Smiths - The Best British Band Of All Time? - God Is In The TV
By Loz Etheridge

Excerpt:

Morrissey cuts a more controversial figure than ever these days, now well past the point where anyone could feasibly even attempt to defend his offensive comments or totally unacceptable views. He has been reported as having said some truly shocking things in recent years, which none of us in our right minds would ever condone. To that end, for the sake of this article, I would like you to imagine, difficult as it may be, that after The Smiths split up there was nothing but an eerie silence, at least from one quarter of Manchester’s favourite sons.

Instead, let’s go back to a happier time – a simpler time when we found ourselves punching the air in delight at the lyrical genius of ‘Mozzer’, marvelling at the seemingly very intelligent, eloquent but shy, gangly individual who was brightening the lives of society’s outsiders, and, indeed, sometimes even playing a part in some of those kids’ minds that hey, maybe life isn’t so bad after all – I’m NOT ALONE.

Last edited by a moderator:
It might come to some debate as to which band in its expression of words, music and visual presentation is the most British.

So now folks, let’s ask the question again....

Who is the best British band of all time ?
Menswear.
They rocked!

Menswear.
They rocked!

Never heard of them.

I think it’s really a toss-up between ...

The Incredible String Band

or

Throbbing Gristle.

Menswear.
They rocked!
Menswear, they were pushed so hard by their record company as the next big thing, just never happened for them really, shame as I can sort of remember a couple of singles by them.... looked good and sounded ok

Why does every single Morrissey/Smiths article always begin with "we know he's now an awful, horrible person and we loathe and despise his views, but.." (and then they get on with the article). This is so cowardly, hypocritical and PC-toolish. Just stop talking about his politics if you don't like them!! After all, he is a singer and not a politician. His art is his music. I don't like Robert Deniro's politics, but he is still in my estimation one of the best actors ever. And i will continue to watch his movies despite his personal ideology. To do otherwise is decribed in one word: fascism. Oddly, it is only British journalists who b!t@* about Morrissey, not Americans. And yet it is British culturre (of the iconic and traditional type immortalized in novels, song (HELLO...SMITHS ANYONE?), film and poetry since the 1600s) that Morrissey is seeking to defend. Seems like British journalists would be more SYMPATHETIC to his cause than Americans. But, alas, no...

By the way. The Beatles are the best English band of all time and it's not even close. Every day of my life I thank England for the Beatles and the Smiths.

I loved The Smiths, but I wouldn't say they were the greatest British band.

If we were to say that 'bands' as such started in the '60's, for example, we then have a 60 year period, up to current date. Bands in 60's/70's/(possibly) 80's had greater longevity, some of whom are still around today.

So, if I were looking for the greatest British band, I would probably narrow my search to the 30 year period referred to, as opposed to anything after that period. Being stricter, I might just stick to the 60's & 70's.

Possible nominations would include, Beatles, Stones, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, but it all depends on whether you're looking at juvenile 'pop' music, or the proper stuff.

Oh & we'd need to define 'greatest'.
Also it’s to easy to be swayed by what you liked when you were 15-25 for example..... as we all know on here that most of us could just block out the last 20 years single wise..... in fact could we name some great bands from the last 20 years without being stuck in our/ your own timewarp... I dislike when you get talking to people and they only like a certain decade ... I work with a woman and she still thinks she’s in the human league, hair style the lot, she hates any music past 1989... saying that she did like Bowie

It might come to some debate as to which band in its expression of words, music and visual presentation is the most British.

So now folks, let’s ask the question again....

Who is the best British band of all time ?
If you put it like that, The Bee Gees; no contest.

If you put it like that, The Bee Gees; no contest.

Yeah their early stuff, maybe (aping the Beatles) But what accent did they sing in? if you listen to The Beatles, because they were so influenced by American rock n roll they
did sing with American accents sometimes.

So with that in consideration, can The Beatles still be considered the best British band?

Anyway The Bee Gees went disco, which is so American, if not an American invention, coming out of American dance funk and soul (African/Latin).

Last edited:
Yeah their early stuff, maybe (aping the Beatles) But what accent did they sing in? if you listen to The Beatles, because they were so influenced by American rock n roll they
did sing with American accents sometimes.

So with that in consideration, can The Beatles still be considered the best British band?

Anyway The Bee Gees went disco, which is so American, if not an American invention, coming out of American dance funk and soul (African/Latin).
Being a Manc, their accent always sounded recognisably Northern to me. Albeit with an antipodean twist.

The Smiths would’ve gone disco, if they’d recorded a couple more albums.

That’s a good call. But were they together long enough to see if they
would stay true to their roots?

Was thinking Kinks or The Who, but even they didn’t sound British through out their career, to my ears at least.

If we’re gonna keep it to just pop music, then maybe....

The Fall are the best British band of all time.

(but they had an American member and one I believe German? so that could rule them out :(, does it count that they got British citizenship through marriage though?)

Good call with the fall, I think they’ve had about 300 ex members!!! Was she called bix or something and married to mark e

Being a Manc, their accent always sounded recognisably Northern to me. Albeit with an antipodean twist.

The Smiths would’ve gone disco, if they’d recorded a couple more albums.
Imagine death of a disco dancer speeded up with a dance beat attached, I’m on the dance floor now😱😱😱

Good call with the fall, I think they’ve had about 300 ex members!!! Was she called bix or something and married to mark e
Unbelievably, Brix went on to marry Nigel Kennedy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad I never bothered clicking on the link if that's another hack who can't be bothered researching the offensive comments & unacceptable views.

Idiot.

But you've made it quite clear Karen that in your opinion such views are far right and white supremacist? And you think he supports a far right fanatic - i.e. Anne Marie Waters?
Are have you realised that you're talking bollocks?

But you've made it quite clear Karen that in your opinion such views are far right and white supremacist? And you think he supports a far right fanatic - i.e. Anne Marie Waters?
Are have you realised that you're taking bollocks?

No Gash - I've made it quite clear that what he's actually said isn't on the far right & that he doesn't seem to have realised what Anne Marie was involved with.

'He has been reported as having said some truly shocking things in recent years, which none of us in our right minds would ever condone.'

Translation = he has said some things that the vast majority of people in Britain think and would like to say but absolutely no one is allowed to say in the land where freedom of speech is truly dead.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom