The Smiths - The Best British Band Of All Time? - God Is In The TV

The Smiths - The Best British Band Of All Time? - God Is In The TV
By Loz Etheridge

Excerpt:

Morrissey cuts a more controversial figure than ever these days, now well past the point where anyone could feasibly even attempt to defend his offensive comments or totally unacceptable views. He has been reported as having said some truly shocking things in recent years, which none of us in our right minds would ever condone. To that end, for the sake of this article, I would like you to imagine, difficult as it may be, that after The Smiths split up there was nothing but an eerie silence, at least from one quarter of Manchester’s favourite sons.

Instead, let’s go back to a happier time – a simpler time when we found ourselves punching the air in delight at the lyrical genius of ‘Mozzer’, marvelling at the seemingly very intelligent, eloquent but shy, gangly individual who was brightening the lives of society’s outsiders, and, indeed, sometimes even playing a part in some of those kids’ minds that hey, maybe life isn’t so bad after all – I’m NOT ALONE.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can’t think why you’ve chosen 4 years, as opposed to 5. There must be some logic though.

I think 4 years together, is a good sign of commitment to the band.

Earlier you mentioned Pentangle, I did think of them when I posted Incredible String Band. Both very very different.

Though could they really be considered ‘best of all time’ ?

I guess we should take into consideration a bands impact on music culture before declaring any band Best British band of all time.

I think 4 years together, is a good sign of commitment to the band.

Earlier you mentioned Pentangle, I did think of them when I posted Incredible String Band. Though they’re very different.

Though could they really be considered ‘best of all time’ ?

I guess we should take into consideration a bands impact on music culture before declaring any band Best British band of all time.
Nothing to do with the recording duration of a certain other band?

I remember John Lydon being disparaging about vegetarians; asked about it Morrissey said he could forgive Lydon ‘anything’. That’s quite an accolade.

Yes, but he covered a Buzzcocks song, and they are from Manchester.

So I really believe he would chose Buzzcocks over Pistols, if he had to chose between the two.

Or maybe Magazine.

Yes, but he covered a Buzzcocks song, and they are from Manchester.

So I really believe he would chose Buzzcocks over Pistols, if he had to chose between the two.

Or maybe Magazine.
I think it’s the immediate New York Dolls connection that seals it for The Sex Pistols.

Incidentally, I saw Vivienne Westwood at Morrissey’s Meltdown Festival.

HOL work of art, agreed. Same with The Kick Inside, if not more so than HOL.

The Dreaming
Hounds of love
The Kick Inside
Never for Ever
The Sensual World

In that order, for me.

No, because I don’t know how long Herman’s Hermits were together for.
I might note that Roxy Music nor The Sex Pistols nor The Buzzcocks could meet the criteria you’ve set for Best British Band. You’re hard to please Ketamine.

I might note that neither Roxy Music nor The Sex Pistols could meet the criteria you’ve set for Best British Band. You’re hard to please Ketamine.

Yes, there’s gotta be some rules.

Don’t think the Pistols were really a band though. More of a Mclaren creation. Don’t think they ever really got along with each other, even from the very beginning.

Yes, there’s gotta be some rules.

Don’t think the Pistols were really a band though. More of a Mclaren creation. Don’t think they ever really got along with each other, even from the very beginning.
There goes Take That.

Oh yes. How could I forget rule number four?

If I didn’t know better I’d say this survey is rigged

How’s that ?

I think it’s pretty fair.

best British band ?

that’s band, not a solo artist.

1. Briefly give your definition of what you would call a British sound.

2. Let’s say the band has to be together, original members intact,
for 4 years (in a row) or more.

3. Members must be British born.

4. Nothing post-Smiths.

5. What in your words makes them the best?

I checked my playlists for British bands & excluding stuff that's for projects & stuff I love because it's so awful... my favourites are:

The Smiths
Roxy Music
Madness
Pulp
Queen
Slade
The Kinks
Johnny Kidd & the Pirates
Saint Etienne

Ghost Box Records (a company, not a band)

ABC were on before OMD, at an 80s music festival. Getting a good spot meant enduring Martin Fry. To be fair, he has a good voice. And he was obviously enjoying himself.
Seen OMD up my neck of the woods about 86 -87 my first gig in fact The singer was very energetic , Andy mc cluskey if I remember correctly

How’s that ?

best British band ?

4. Nothing post-Smiths.

Blimey: Pink Floyd are out too. Barrett was with them just shy of four years.

I checked my playlists for British bands & excluding stuff that's for projects & stuff I love because it's so awful... my favourites are:

The Smiths
Roxy Music
Madness
Pulp
Queen
Slade
The Kinks
Johnny Kidd & the Pirates
Saint Etienne

Ghost Box Records (a company, not a band)
With Foxbase Alpha, Saint Etienne would have a case for Best Ever British Album.

How’s that ?

best British band ?

4. Nothing post-Smiths.

Rule No.6 - nothing pre-Smiths

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom