The two greatest lyricists Morrissey and Bob Dylan, discuss

Time and place. Dylan and Picasso both came at a time that, talent aside, enabled them to make the impact they did. I’m sure the surrealists and art world would have
had their minds blown if Hirst was doing his work in the 30’s on.
Okay? I see a lot of goalpost shifting and equivocating nonsense from you and not much of any coherent point. If you're too defensive to have a conversation like a normal person then maybe don't bother making the thread? Subjectivity aside, Dylan has had immeasurably more of an impact than Morrissey on every conceivable level. Doesn't mean one is "better" than the other, but get real.

Okay? I see a lot of goalpost shifting and equivocating nonsense from you and not much of any coherent point.

What goalpost shifting ? Lol.
I think it was clear enough in my post #23 back on page 2 ..... (pasted below) ...

I’m saying to different degrees Morrissey and Dylan have had the greatest impact on lyric writers.

1. For the first time in popular music they brought something new to the table that was uniquely theirs.

2. Besides their distinct delivery and maybe also because of their distinct
deliveries and unique presence, their lyric has influenced other lyric writers.

As I’ve already said, there are many many good lyric writers, great ones too !

But the greatest lyric writers as far as influence goes, are Morrissey and Bob Dylan.

That’s not to say other lyricists can’t be enjoyed and loved or influence other writers also, but these other lyric writers were most likely directly or indirectly influenced by Dylan or Morrissey.

So, what do you folks think ?”

If you're too defensive to have a conversation like a normal person then maybe don't bother making the thread? Subjectivity aside, Dylan has had immeasurably more of an impact than Morrissey on every conceivable level. Doesn't mean one is "better" than the other, but get real.

Guess you’re not willing to have a conversation, nor read my posts. Or are you just upset that you wasted your time defending Dylan simply because fans here on a Morrissey fan site may prefer Morrissey?

Do you really think I would start a thread asking folks if they think Morrissey is better than Dylan, or who they personally think is the greatest lyricist?

NO, that’s not what I was stating or asking people to discuss.

And nowhere in my posts in this thread did I say Morrissey has had the same impact as Dylan. Why would I ? when I consider their art to be unique unto themselves. They’re both great, and more importantly, from different times, so of course their measure of impact on other artists and music history will be different.

This was never intended to be a Morrissey vs Dylan thread. Sorry you’ve mistaken it for such.

Last edited:
I think it was clear enough in my post #23 back on page 2 ..... (pasted below) ...

I’m saying to different degrees Morrissey and Dylan have had the greatest impact on lyric writers.

1. For the first time in popular music they brought something new to the table that was uniquely theirs.

But the greatest lyric writers as far as influence goes, are Morrissey and Bob Dylan.

That’s not to say other lyricists can’t be enjoyed and loved or influence other writers also, but these other lyric writers were most likely directly or indirectly influenced by Dylan or Morrissey.

Guess you’re not willing to have a conversation, nor read my posts. Or are you just upset that you wasted your time defending Dylan simply because fans here on a Morrissey fan site may prefer Morrissey?

Do you really think I would start a thread asking folks if they think Morrissey is better than Dylan, or who they personally think is the greatest lyricist?

And nowhere in my posts in this thread did I say Morrissey has had the same impact as Dylan. Why would I ? when I consider their art to be unique unto themselves. They’re both great, and more importantly, from different times, so of course their measure of impact on other artists and music history will be different.

This was never intended to be a Morrissey vs Dylan thread. Sorry you’ve mistaken it for such.

"But the greatest lyric writers as far as influence goes, are Morrissey and Bob Dylan."

Please stop trolling us.

You've completely forgotten about Lennon & McCartney. A lot of tracks by The Beatles weren't really written by both Lennon and McCartney. They each wrote their own lyrics. That's before you look at their solo lyrics. And if you think Morrissey has influenced more lyricists than Lennon and McCartney, you must be on crack.

You okay, mate?

It's not Morrissey vs. Bob Dylan, I enjoy them both. It's a simple disagreement that you can speak of the two in the same breath when it comes to lyrical influence. There's no comparison. I think you want your hypothesis to be true, but you have no argument except this neurotic defensiveness. Weird and unconvincing. Have a good night.

"But the greatest lyric writers as far as influence goes, are Morrissey and Bob Dylan."

Please stop trolling us.

You've completely forgotten about Lennon & McCartney.
No, if you read my my posts in this thread, you wouldn’t be saying that.
Unless you’re on crack.
A lot of tracks by The Beatles weren't really written by both Lennon and McCartney. They each wrote their own lyrics.
OMG! breaking news! You must be on crack.
That's before you look at their solo lyrics. And if you think Morrissey has influenced more lyricists than Lennon and McCartney, you must be on crack.

Well, that goes without saying. Everyone knows the influence they had and have. But time and place does play a part there.

And so, in regards to the measure of impact, can anyone really compare an ‘alternative artist’ to a mainstream pop band like The Beatles that were from another era? You would have to be smoking a lot of crack to do that.

But my point is, (and with this I’m sure you’ll agree) Dylan has influenced Lennon and McCartney, and so in turn people that are being influenced by Lennon and McCartney are also being influenced by Dylan.

And I’m sure there are plenty of lyricists that are being influenced by Morrissey without even knowing they are.

As I said already in post #23 ...

“there are many many good lyric writers, great ones too !

That’s not to say other lyricists can’t be enjoyed and loved or influence other writers also, but these other lyric writers were most likely directly or indirectly influenced by Dylan or Morrissey.”

I’m not even a huge fan of Dylan, but I could recognize his and Morrissey’s unique vision and craft
and see the influence (to different degrees of course) they have on other lyricists directly or indirectly.

And this is why in my opinion they are the greatest lyricists.

You okay, mate?

It's not Morrissey vs. Bob Dylan,
If you’ve actually read the post you’re replying to, I’ve already said that this is not a Morrissey vs Dylan thread.
I enjoy them both.
I’ve already said as much in a previous post. That this thread is not about one being better than the other, or that one can’t enjoy both, or that one can’t believe that other artists have also influenced lyricists.

It's a simple disagreement that you can speak of the two in the same breath when it comes to lyrical influence.
God forbid! :drama:

‘You okay, mate?’

There's no comparison.

My comparison is that their unique art has and continues to influence many other lyricists. Not that both have the same degree of influence on lyricists or music history, how would that even be possible? First of all, Dylan is from a different era.

I think you want your hypothesis to be true,

That their unique vision, art, lyrics have had a influence on other lyricists? yes, I would like to believe that it’s a possibility.

but you have no argument except this neurotic defensiveness.

Nope. Just replying and explaining my ‘hypothesis’ to a couple of anons that are too easily angered, triggered, and quick to defend dylan. So much so, that they forget to actually read my post that they are replying to. :lbf:

Weird and unconvincing. Have a good night.

‘unconvincing’? No one’s trying to convince you of anything. No one’s forcing you to agree with anything here.
‘You okay, mate?’

Last edited:
I like Yoko Ono's lyrics. Stuff like "IIIiiiiiiiaaaaaiiiiieeeeeee eeeeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiyyyyyyyahhhhhhhh" doesn't really age,

Back
Top Bottom