Things That May Or May Not Go Bump In The Night

You have topped me once again, Mr. Viva. CRAMBONE!

Touché, pussycat!
Tuffy-3-tom-and-jerry-4458196-160-171.jpg

See, like my mom always says, there's a logical explanation for everything! Except she has this friend that lost her son in a drowning accident when he was about seventeen. She always had these knicknacks all over the house, including this little music box that was broken, and it would randomly play a couple notes from time to time. It happened when we went to visit her and she yelled to her husband, "That's Lenny!" and they both yell, "Hi Lenny!" She then explains what was going on and shows us that the winding mechanism inside was broken. That kind of screwed up my nine year old brain :lbf:

Complete, total silence kind of unsettles me because every tiny little sound makes my mind race. I always keep a guitar in my bedroom, sitting on a stand, and in all the years I've done that, none have ever made a sound... until I bought this one particular guitar that let out a PING! the first night I brought it home! I must have jumped a foot into the air when that happened, so it immediately went into the case... "It's haunted! I gotta get rid of it!" Couple days go by, I'm playing it, putting it back into the case, and my cello starts to get some playing time soon after. Again, I bring it into my bedroom and that night... A much louder PING! "Oh crap, there's a ghost in here...!" Then it dawns on me that *maybe the humidity in my bedroom* might have something to do with the PINGs :lbf:

And of course we love you! Or at least we're moderately fond of one another :)

Yes, there is often logical explanations, but like you said, silly stuff can be scary. The guitar thing would have made me jump too. When I am alone in the living room at night and my family is in bed, the couch sometimes randomly groans like the sound when someone gets off the couch. Always makes me jump.

My older sister has had three supernatural encounters that I know. Granted she exaggerates everything so I don't believe a word she says.

She swears her apartment 15 years ago was haunted. The previous tenant had killed herself.
She said after our grandfather passed away she dreamed they were drinking coffee together and the next day the coffee pot was broken.
Last year she said he visited her in her sleep and told her that her three daughters were beautiful.

My grandparents apparently lived in a haunted house. My mom doesn't exaggerate so that one might be true.

I used to find those 'True ghost stories' on TV annoying. The ghosts were always colonial. Why no '70s ghosts?

I don't know about ghosts, but this is pretty creepy...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm no stranger to odd occurrences. My whole life I've had random chills, seen lights flicker, surge, turn on/off, and I sometimes see quick things that pass just in my periphery. I guess I could say I feel spiritual presence a lot. Sometimes It's friendly and sometimes it seems a little hostile and it makes me extremely nervous.

I guess I'll start off with one of my first experiences. When I was five I lived in orange county, my mother ended up renting a house belonging to her close friend. She needed to move because her husband had just died of cancer. He died in the house in what would soon become my bedroom. Shortly after moving in I was up in room, having a fit about something or other. I was crying in bed and the room was silent. I felt a big hand on my back and a man's voice say, "girl, why are you crying?". Naturally, I ran out of the room screaming. My sisters laughed at me and so I never brought it up again. I know it happened, though. In retrospect I wish I would have answered the question instead of rudely barging out on my mothers friends recently deceased husband. Who knows, I'm sure he was a nice guy. Maybe he had a message. I guess I'll never know, I never heard a voice in that house again. Still, I always felt an off sort of presence. It's like the kind of natural feeling you get that alerts you that someone is looking at you. I get that a lot. locking eyes with people for an uncomfortable second and things of that nature. But, I digress.

I'm noticing it happening a lot here at my new house. It usually starts with a loud banging noise anywhere between 2 and 5am. Something will fall over or papers end up all over the kitchen floor. This is always followed by my cat absolutely freaking out. I don't talk about it very much because it's pretty scary. I mostly try to ignore it, but I feel like spirits want to bother me all the time. I've never really read up on the subject, I just know how I feel and that alone is enough to spook me. I also have other talents, like razor sharp intuition. I know immediately when something is wrong with anyone I care about.

Last edited:
I'm no stranger to odd occurrences. My whole life I've had random chills, seen lights flicker, surge, turn on/off, and I sometimes see quick things that pass just in my periphery. I guess I could say I feel spiritual presence a lot. Sometimes It's friendly and sometimes it seems a little hostile and it makes me extremely nervous.

I guess I'll start off with one of my first experiences. When I was five I lived in orange county, my mother ended up renting a house belonging to her close friend. She needed to move because her husband had just died of cancer. He died in the house in what would soon become my bedroom. Shortly after moving in I was up in room, having a fit about something or other. I was crying in bed and the room was silent. I felt a big hand on my back and a man's voice say, "girl, why are you crying?". Naturally, I ran out of the room screaming. My sisters laughed at me and so I never brought it up again. I know it happened, though. In retrospect I wish I would have answered the question instead of rudely barging out on my mothers friends recently deceased husband. Who knows, I'm sure he was a nice guy. Maybe he had a message. I guess I'll never know, I never heard a voice in that house again. Still, I always felt an off sort of presence. It's like the kind of natural feeling you get that alerts you that someone is looking at you. I get that a lot. locking eyes with people for an uncomfortable second and things of that nature. But, I digress.

I'm noticing it happening a lot here at my new house. It usually starts with a loud banging noise anywhere between 2 and 5am. Something will fall over or papers end up all over the kitchen floor. This is always followed by my cat absolutely freaking out. I don't talk about it very much because it's pretty scary. I mostly try to ignore it, but I feel like spirits want to bother me all the time. I've never really read up on the subject, I just know how I feel and that alone is enough to spook me. I also have other talents, like razor sharp intuition. I know immediately when something is wrong with anyone I care about.

I have been a first hand witness to all of this as well. At least once a week, Habib (the cat) will go running like crazy and stare at absolutely nothing, frightened to death. Then there will be the cold chill on your legs. Then everything goes silent. Strange noises such as bumps and creaks will start randomly occurring for no particular reason...there has even been strange sounds and interference on the telephone or through the speakers at this time as well. A couple times, doors have shut or opened - such as the garage door or a house door - and lights have either gone on or off. As described, this only happens around a certain time...most generally 3AM. Maybe it's like Amityville and Jodie the pig only showing up at 3:15? But seriously, you need to get out of that house...because it scares the shit out of me.

I'm sure there are and will be "70s" ghosts; but as for why they always seem to be colonial, as you put it...there are two answers.

One is that very simply, those houses have been around much longer, the ghosts had corporeal lives many many years ago, and so there has been much more time for the stories to circulate and many more tenants/visitors to the haunted locations who would then relate those tales to others.

Secondly, there is a theory -which I think makes sense- that when you die, it isn't just POP you are in Heaven, or POP you are in Nirvana, or POP you are a ghost back on Earth...but that there is probably some kind of process, almost a "waste management" program, if you will, enacted by a higher powered entity, or entities. When we die (are thrown away), the leftovers (our spiritual/psycho-magnetic contents that contain our "selves") are retrieved by whatever is running the show. At that point, either the tapes are erased and recycled for re-corporealization (re-incarnation) or, depending on things, relegated to some kind of eternal playground or prison, or...something gets stuck or lost along the way and cannot be properly sorted/disposed of/recycled...which then eventually finds its way back to this realm and is a ghost. But it takes awhile, hence the reason that stories of ghosts from the last 20 or 30 years are not as rife.

Still another idea-which I also think has some merit, but do not particularly believe- is that there are no ghosts per se, only malevolent spirits posing as the disembodied deceased so as to deceive the living into rejecting the notion of a "Heaven" or "Hell" which would then free up the living to do whatever the f*** they want (provided they escape real jail on Earth), because once they're dead, there's no God, so who cares.

Again...just a theory.

Thanks for the ideas. That might very well be it.
Your ideas remind me of the TV show Supernatural. I'm a diehard fan of that show. While they didn't have any '70s ghosts exactly they did have a lot of modern ghosts. Poltergeists being attracted to negative vibes for example.
Maybe the colonial period was more chaotic in America.

I find it strange about myself that I'm more open into believing about ghosts than God.

What I found interesting is the old hag sitting on people's bodies phenomena in some parts of the world. http://www.slate.com/id/2298453/
Maybe our cultural perceives our ghosts differently or explains it away differently.
We do seem to have a lot of urban myths relating to child killers shared from other cultures but not the hag.

Neither are things that we have any real ability to understand. And many Judeo-Christian dogmatic concepts certainly contradict the idea of ghosts.

Yes the Hag is interesting; not sure if you noticed but it was discussed a bit at the outset of this thread. I think that many "night terrors" that people experience -sleep paralysis and all that- may have supernatural ties.

I tend to believe more in psychic energy [in the vein of Star Wars] so I think there probably are poltergeists out there. A sentient being with a master plan however...

I wonder if my parrots are seeing these hags then. They do have night terrors.
I'll go back to the first page and check out the hags post.

When I was a kid I always thought I saw witches outside my window.
I also thought my grandmother was a witch and hid in her bedroom one day to see if she put on her make-up/mask. I was a big Roald Dahl fan... The Witches was a very scary book to me as a child.
I hope if there is a heaven though it looks exactly like Hogwarts.

The other night I was woken about 4am by a metal clanging sound. I thought at first it was the cat on the kitchen counter and knocing into some pots and pans. I got up to shew her off the counter (I hate the cats being on the counter). I go into the kitchen and nothing is amiss. I look around, the cat is curled up on the couch. I just stand there for a bit and think to myself, "hmmpf". I then decide to go outside and look....

...I discover the trash can all a mess and a bear lumbering away. I then went to the trash area and took a pee, cuz animals don't like the smell of human urine and I needed to pee.

I've always been fascinated with ghosts, and I'm a total believer. One night, when I lived with my dad during my high school years, I heard the distinct sound of hard-soled shoes walking across the hardwood living room floor, as if coming from the front door to the bathroom next to my room. Then I heard the sound of the toilet seat as it slammed against the tank after being lifted. I couldn't move - it freaked me out, since it was very late and no one was up. An hour or so later, I was awakened by the sound of the seat going back down again. Clearly, this was a very considerate spirit. I asked the next morning who in the living room the night before, and no one was. Sometime later, as we were adding on to the house, my stepmom told us about nearly being pulled out of bed by something one night. After I left for college, my stepmom would call me and ask where things were - random pieces of jewelry, for example. These would later be found in a spare room under boxes and in other odd places.

A very interesting case. If you guys find yourselves bored at home on this grisly Friday night, invest an hour in this.

There is a video somewhere where the people involved admitted this was a hoax.. I'll try to find it.

Anyone got anymore? These are quite entertaining.:) (I would share, but as you have seen I don't really have creepy stories, just weird silly stories.:p)

Kenzie, are you familiar with a late night radio talk show called Coast to Coast AM? I think you may love it.

Google it to see what station and time it is on in your area. Trust me...if you like this thread, you will not regret it.

It's on KFI AM640. My mom listens to it. :rolleyes: There are some interesting people on that show but a whole lotta :crazy:.

Back
Top Bottom