TTY: Please, somebody, tell me it's just a bad dream ...; Buzzcocks for McDonald's

Please, somebody, tell me it's just a bad dream ... - true-to-you.net
16 June 2016

Pete Shelley has allowed McDonald's to use Buzzcocks' What do I get? to TV advertise McDonald's new Big Flavour (the flavour being sawdust) Chicken Wraps?!
In the words of another Buzzcocks song: oh shit...

38783_images_3.jpg

Morrissey
June 2016

above picture used with respect to owner (unknown)

About a tv ad apparently from the UK using Buzzcocks "what do i get ?"
http://tvadsongs.uk/mcdonalds-advert-music-what-do-i-get-wraps/
I can't see it , it's not available in my region

Buzzcocks , what do I get?

Last edited by a moderator:
He doesn't know whether they gave permission though.

I understand if most of the posters here don't know a thing about publishing deals, but of all, Morrissey should know. Music publishing contracts are different from artist to artist; some have bigger power on how and when a publisher can sell the rights for a recording, some don't. We don't know so wed be better stop assuming.

They're alright. Some good songs here and they're but nothing that ever wowed me. Like George said they're from the British punk era. Kinda like the jam at times kinda like the damned at times

They are still active today though and are supporting The Stone Roses tonight at Manchester City's football ground, they also have a new album out called The Way. They're my favourite band and seen the over 30 times!

Not a nice development for Moz's world but maybe Pete Shelley needs money. I'm only guessing of course. Anything would be better than that bloody 'I'm loving it' jingle but I guess they'll be keeping that too. I don't understand why anyone would waste their money eating the sawdust they sell at McD's. Might as well eat a bag full of air.

I've never been a fan of the buzzcocks but then they were way before my time. Am I missing out on anything. I have eaten maccas though.
They are currently on the tour celebrating 40 years in music. Simple lyrics like f*** off, bollocks and such on endless repeat, typical punk riffs. I saw them 4 weeks ago in Vancouver and I enjoyed myself after a few beers. They are definitely legends in my humble opinion. Did you say you ate macaws?:eek: (just kidding)

Not a nice development for Moz's world but maybe Pete Shelley needs money. I'm only guessing of course. Anything would be better than that bloody 'I'm loving it' jingle but I guess they'll be keeping that too. I don't understand why anyone would waste their money eating the sawdust they sell at McD's. Might as well eat a bag full of air.

For some it's just where they can get the most food for there money in zero time, as In the time and Effort of making something at home, but for those who can afford different choices I'm baffled as well.

Write a song, Morrissey, in the apparently unlikely event you still know how.

They are currently on the tour celebrating 40 years in music. Simple lyrics like f*** off, bollocks and such on endless repeat, typical punk riffs. I saw them 4 weeks ago in Vancouver and I enjoyed myself after a few beers. They are definitely legends in my humble opinion. Did you say you ate macaws?:eek: (just kidding)
In the south bank show doco they are referred to as being the antithesis of The Smiths and as far away from where they wanted to go musically but now in recent interviews Moz and Marr always speak glowingly of them... until now that is.

In the south bank show doco they are referred to as being the antithesis of The Smiths and as far away from where they wanted to go musically but now in recent interviews Moz and Marr always speak glowingly of them... until now that is.

Well I don't think the first part of that post really negates there liking the band or the music, it's just not anything like what they wanted to make. I mean moz talks about the dolls and the ramones a lot but I can't think of any smiths song that sounds remotely like either band. I think members of the buzzcocks were also around in the crowd for the anarchy tour the pistols went on so they probably knew or were at least aware of each other on a more personal basis as well which might lend to the disappointment he's feeling now

Nothing new here. Everybody loves money and everything is on sale.

I had the same response. There's been a flurry of 'back in the day' songs in ads. But let's also remember that Moz has no problem with music in ads when it's his. As someone just pointed out above, money talks, for the Buzzcocks, and for Moz.

Last edited:
Dear Ronald McDonald
I represent the debunkers of Silly Steven CrankFraud, pillock of all pillocks on planet earth. Never has there been a better time for you and brand Maccy Ds to release a 'Big Mac strikes again' advertising campaign to promote one of your all time best selling meals.

I would also like to urge Pete Shelley and co to perform 'Big Mac strikes again' tonight in their hometown support slot at the Etihad stadium tonight and give a big 4ck u salute to that former Manc turncoat Crank Tosserey.

#bigmacstrikesagainformcdonaldshugeprofitandmaximumpublicity

Yours in debunking CrankFraudism

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

Write a song, Morrissey, in the apparently unlikely event you still know how.

Kiss me a lot, kiss me a lot :guitar:
kiss me all over my face :guitar:
Kiss me all over the place :guitar:
Kiss me all over and then when you've kissed me :guitar:
Kiss me all over again :guitar:
:eek: WTF !

I wouldn't hold your breath if I was you Johnny B. The above has to be one of the worst songs I've ever heard. St Winifred's "Grandma" song was better than this piece of shite.

Benny-the-British-Butcher :greatbritain::knife:

I saw a car advertisement on TV with a Clash song in it. Poor Joe Strummer must be spinning in his grave...

The problem is not using a song in a TV advertise. It's about using it to TV advertise McDonald's chicken wraps. That means sponsoring murder with music that have a meaning for some people. If Morrissey used to like that song, I can imagine the disappointment he felt. Some time ago, I had the same feeling about an author I used to read. No more.

Last edited:
Some suits fit some people better than others. That usually happens when toads pretend to be princes.

Heil Hitler Benny!

Johnny Marr definitely says in the SBS documentary, "personally, I thought all those groups were crap" just after the footage of Buzzcocks "what do I get" is shown.

I saw them live the night after Mozza played Hull last year at The Square in Harlow, Essex which is a tiny venue and clearly after watching them, they are in need of funds. Pete Shelley now looks like Santa Claus. No surprise if they've taken some money for the ad.

Back
Top Bottom