TTY: The Labels Won't Listen - photomontage by Sam Esty Rayner

he matted what looks, at first glance, a blackbird perched sideways on the top front end of what would appear to be the front section of moz hair.
everyone must be broke, for such shoddy work being posted on tty.

Maybe this has been noted here already but if not, let's not forget that aside from the sub-amateur Photoshop work here, the original image as used for the record (as well as the accompanying picture of the group of girls on the back) was meant to SYMBOLIZE The Smiths, sum them up, represent them.

Even if Rayner had the slightest knack for photo editing, he should STILL refrain from shit like this because it totally murders the subtlety and symbolism of the original artwork.

Not to even mention the title "The World Won't Listen"....what made this record great (besides the songs, of course) was Morrissey's conviction that the public at large was obstinate to the point of deafness regarding his music and message.

So to take this package 30 years later and completely undermine its magic by SPELLING OUT everything it was about is just beyond disgusting. It's a lowest common denominator hack piss-take. Rayner has NO place amongst Slee, Linder, Broad, or the many others who have helped Morrissey visually manifest his aesthetic over the last thirty years.

Sad. Disgusting and sad.

Maybe this has been noted here already but if not, let's not forget that aside from the sub-amateur Photoshop work here, the original image as used for the record (as well as the accompanying picture of the group of girls on the back) was meant to SYMBOLIZE The Smiths, sum them up, represent them.

Even if Rayner had the slightest knack for photo editing, he should STILL refrain from shit like this because it totally murders the subtlety and symbolism of the original artwork.

Not to even mention the title "The World Won't Listen"....what made this record great (besides the songs, of course) was Morrissey's conviction that the public at large was obstinate to the point of deafness regarding his music and message.

So to take this package 30 years later and completely undermine its magic by SPELLING OUT everything it was about is just beyond disgusting. It's a lowest common denominator hack piss-take. Rayner has NO place amongst Slee, Linder, Broad, or the many others who have helped Morrissey visually manifest his aesthetic over the last thirty years.

Sad. Disgusting and sad.

:clap:

Also I'd like to add Morrissey's original message was about the universal frustration of being heard while Rayner's constant message is about getting PAID MONEY to be heard.

Last edited:
Sam's mistake is not that he wants to be creative (pandering as it is), but that he thinks he needs to handle all the technical work himself. If he's set on doing PS mockups like this, he should hire the user here (name escapes me, apologies) who's integrated Morrissey flawlessly into many visual backdrops. Sam can set the message of the piece and "direct" it. More impressive all around.

A montage is a series of images played one after the other. This is a picture.

His head needs to be lowered while you're at it. His neck looks like it's a foot tall.

You have laser eyes or what? The image looks clever and fun.

Sam's mistake is not that he wants to be creative (pandering as it is), but that he thinks he needs to handle all the technical work himself. If he's set on doing PS mockups like this, he should hire the user here (name escapes me, apologies) who's integrated Morrissey flawlessly into many visual backdrops. Sam can set the message of the piece and "direct" it. More impressive all around.

dicartwright

Re: The Labels Won't Listen - photomontage - TTY

I’m fairly sure Morrissey is aware of the fact that a lot of his longtime fans think he is turning more and more into an insufferable twat. He definitely has someone read the comments here and report back to him.

I do wonder, does he ever think “Well maybe there’s some truth to all the criticism?" or is he just so convinced he is right about everything and everyone else is wrong.

This post is spot-on. Morrissey is a great songwriter and performer, of that there is no doubt. Since his long hiatus, Moz's return with YATQ has given him a good run of truly excellent albums (including World Peace which I did have some doubts about at first).

However, as much as I love his songs – so many that only he could write and only he could sing – his verbal utterances have become more bizarre with the passing of time. A definite low point (for me at least) was when he got the band to wear 'We hate Wills and Kate' t-shirts on the day (or thereabouts) of the royal wedding. If you look at the photos of the band at the end of the gig when they are doing their bow, they all look very uncomfortable with the only one smiling being Moz himself. If that was not bad enough, HE was the only one NOT wearing the t-shirt. I doubt if the band members had any choice in whether they wanted to wear that shirt or not, I guess it was just yet another one of Moz's rants. Equally, getting the band to wear 'F*** Harvest' is unlikely to endear him to any potential future record labels.

I suspect a lot of Morrissey's fans fall into the same camp as me in so much as we aren't vegetarians and we don't hate royalty, and at 55 years old, I'm not likely to change my views now.

This is bad because it single handedly shits on the ethos of all Smiths record sleeves. This is not art, it's the work of a butcher.how is Morrissey is allowing this?

We all know for a fact, it's Morrissey that won't listen. He still thinks he can get the kind of deal he could get in 1992, and not even Led Zeppelin could get a deal like that anymore.

M needs to take a lesson from Louis CK. Want to create something? Don't want to deal with studios/networks/publishers telling you what and how to do it? Have your own following of a substantial number of people? Just DIY. Front the money and charge the fee you want. Sit back and profit. No cuts to agents, PR people, studios. Pay good people to do the things you aren't good at--and listen to their advice.

Many of us have been saying the same thing for years now. It is Morrissey who will not listen.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom