Twin Peaks thread

• Thread starter Deleted member 1074
  • Start date
So what happens now? Done forever? Another season? The finale was so subtle yet creepy.

Episode 18 was awesome. I hope they make Dougie, Janey-E and Sonny Jim into a sitcom. It could be like a modern Dick Van Dyke show. And that road trip with maybe Laura Palmer and sometimes you wonder if he's Agent Cooper was pretty good. Almost any other show would have had a ton of unnecessary dialog on that trip. But what year is it? And why didn't he just call the sheriff's station? Are they not open all night?
There are definitely enough loose ends for another season but I doubt it will happen.

hwItTPz.png

A few thoughts for anyone who wants to help to clarify about any of this:

Why was Cooper still trying to save Laura if Bob had already been defeated? If Laura had been created by The Fireman specifically to defeat Bob, hadn't her purpose on Earth already been served?

She was being set up, I thought, as 'The One' to destroy Bob, but apparently Freddie could do that? So that leaves Laura as 'The One' to do what? Why save only Laura and not, for instance, Leland whose life had been taken over by Bob and who seems to have been trapped in the Lodge for 25 years like Cooper?

How about Maddy (who we know had a doppelganger) or Teresa Banks, do they exist anywhere still in any form or are they 'officially' dead? Ray Monroe? Wyndham Earle?

And how could Cooper re-enter the Lodge and leave through the curtain with Diane in episode 18, which he hadn't been able to for the previous 25 years? Because the doppelganger was returned there which gives him the freedom to go back in and leave again without having to appear in a box in New York and hurtle through space first?

If he can get out, and Laura can get out, why can't Leland, Ray, Wyndham Earle? Presumably it only be done by going back in time and preventing their deaths (bar Earle in this instance who entered the Lodge alive)?

It seems Lynch is moving away from the Bob story now and into the multiverse, which is probably what a season 4 would revolve around if there is one -- the question is: why? Why does saving Laura remain essential, even at the risk of disrupting the balance of the world, when Bob could be defeated without her?

If there is a season 4 I'd expect to see appearances from Cooper, Diane, Laura, Sarah, Audrey, maybe Leland, but I suspect we've seen the last of James, Bobby, Shelly, Ed, Norma, Nadine, Jacoby, and everyone else, unless Lynch/Frost or Frost alone try something ambitious where Cooper attempts to fuse the two worlds back together. But at this stage what does it matter?

Cooper has no family or any other seemingly urgent reason to get back to where he came from and Diane's lost in the alternate reality too, plus Laura has been dead for 28 years and is a creation of The Fireman, and Bob's gone, so where's the need to get her back to the *proper* Twin Peaks?
To reunite her with James (who wouldn't be perturbed at all by his dead girlfriend turning up after what would by then be 30+ years), and a mother who's inhabited by some kind of Black Lodge/Convenience store creature?

Did Lynch think the main storylines had run their course so he has taken the first steps to turn Twin Peaks into another Lost Highway/Mulholland Drive?

A few thoughts for anyone who wants to help to clarify about any of this:

Why was Cooper still trying to save Laura if Bob had already been defeated? If Laura had been created by The Fireman specifically to defeat Bob, hadn't her purpose on Earth already been served?

She was being set up, I thought, as 'The One' to destroy Bob, but apparently Freddie could do that? So that leaves Laura as 'The One' to do what? Why save only Laura and not, for instance, Leland whose life had been taken over by Bob and who seems to have been trapped in the Lodge for 25 years like Cooper?

How about Maddy (who we know had a doppelganger) or Teresa Banks, do they exist anywhere still in any form or are they 'officially' dead? Ray Monroe? Wyndham Earle?

And how could Cooper re-enter the Lodge and leave through the curtain with Diane in episode 18, which he hadn't been able to for the previous 25 years? Because the doppelganger was returned there which gives him the freedom to go back in and leave again without having to appear in a box in New York and hurtle through space first?

If he can get out, and Laura can get out, why can't Leland, Ray, Wyndham Earle? Presumably it only be done by going back in time and preventing their deaths (bar Earle in this instance who entered the Lodge alive)?

It seems Lynch is moving away from the Bob story now and into the multiverse, which is probably what a season 4 would revolve around if there is one -- the question is: why? Why does saving Laura remain essential, even at the risk of disrupting the balance of the world, when Bob could be defeated without her?

If there is a season 4 I'd expect to see appearances from Cooper, Diane, Laura, Sarah, Audrey, maybe Leland, but I suspect we've seen the last of James, Bobby, Shelly, Ed, Norma, Nadine, Jacoby, and everyone else, unless Lynch/Frost or Frost alone try something ambitious where Cooper attempts to fuse the two worlds back together. But at this stage what does it matter?

Cooper has no family or any other seemingly urgent reason to get back to where he came from and Diane's lost in the alternate reality too, plus Laura has been dead for 28 years and is a creation of The Fireman, and Bob's gone, so where's the need to get her back to the *proper* Twin Peaks?
To reunite her with James (who wouldn't be perturbed at all by his dead girlfriend turning up after what would by then be 30+ years), and a mother who's inhabited by some kind of Black Lodge/Convenience store creature?

Did Lynch think the main storylines had run their course so he has taken the first steps to turn Twin Peaks into another Lost Highway/Mulholland Drive?
Cooper went into the past with the help of Jeffries. A new timeline was created where Laura wasn't killed. They show her on the shore when Pete is going fishing and then it looks like she is erased.
Cooper and Diane go into another world and become Richard and Linda. That is Richard who shoots the rednecks in the diner. They are other versions of themselves. Laura is Carrie, a waitress in Odessa, Tx. That isn't exactly Cooper and Laura in the final scenes. They have entered a parallel world. Cooper doesn't realize he is Richard and Carrie doesn't realize she is Laura. He just got there but she has been there a long time.
Kyle McLaughlin said in a recent interview that he played four different characters. He didn't name them but they are Cooper, Mr C, Dougie, and Richard.
Sheryl Lee is credited with playing two characters in episode 18. One is Laura and the other is Carrie.
Lots of ideas here.
https://www.reddit.com/r/twinpeaks/

What's this about David Bowie doing a cameo appearance as it was already filmed before he died?
I mean not that kind of holographic stuff.
I happen to read it somewhere.
Sorry, not into these last series of Twin Peaks so I am not up to date with it.
Just thought it remarkable.

What's this about David Bowie doing a cameo appearance as it was already filmed before he died?

Bowie intended to be in the new season, but was too ill/died before he could film anything. He gave permission for Lynch to use footage from the 'Fire Walk With Me' movie though, so there were a few clips of Bowie in the series. They got a new actor to overdub his lines, plus in the new series the character he played has evolved into what appears to be a giant steam kettle (yes - really!), so they can keep using the character.

I mean not that kind of holographic stuff.
I happen to read it somewhere.
Sorry, not into these last series of Twin Peaks so I am not up to date with it.
Just thought it remarkable.

The cameo refers to the footage they used from Fire Walk With Me (that was overdubbed) so Bowie appears only in flashbacks, but without his actual voice

The cameo refers to the footage they used from Fire Walk With Me (that was overdubbed) so Bowie appears only in flashbacks, but without his actual voice

Thanks for clearing that up. :thumb:
What I read suggested Bowie actually had a role in it as in acting like the other actors.

Bowie intended to be in the new season, but was too ill/died before he could film anything. He gave permission for Lynch to use footage from the 'Fire Walk With Me' movie though, so there were a few clips of Bowie in the series. They got a new actor to overdub his lines, plus in the new series the character he played has evolved into what appears to be a giant steam kettle (yes - really!), so they can keep using the character.

Thank you too for clearing it up! :thumb:
" plus in the new series the character he played has evolved into what appears to be a giant steam kettle (yes - really!) "
That is f***ing brilliant and funny! :eek:
I like it when it gets absurd.
I'm beginning to feeling regrets about not following these Twin Peaks serious 25 years later.:(

Edit:
Wanted to edit the word "serious" into series but decided right-, or wrongfully to leave it there. Oh my.

Back
Top Bottom