UK Postal strike - Friday 23/10/2009

mick ransommich

Postal strike dates are confirmed ...

Not all union members will be striking at the same time
The Communication Workers Union (CWU) has confirmed that two 24-hour nationwide postal strikes will begin on Thursday 22 October.

The union said it had no choice but to announce a strike after the Royal Mail rejected its latest set of proposals.

On the first day, mail centre staff and network drivers will strike. On Friday 23 October it will be delivery and collection staff.

I saw about this 'new' strike in the paper and it made me laugh cos I thought they'd just been on strike permanently for the last few weeks. I've had post four times in the last three weeks and am waiting for replacement bank cards and stuff. I'm starting to pine for the tyranny of the Securemail bastards, their blue and yellow slips and ringing 0898 007 a million times to get my stuff delivered.

I saw about this 'new' strike in the paper and it made me laugh cos I thought they'd just been on strike permanently for the last few weeks. I've had post four times in the last three weeks and am waiting for replacement bank cards and stuff. I'm starting to pine for the tyranny of the Securemail bastards, their blue and yellow slips and ringing 0898 007 a million times to get my stuff delivered.

I'm feeling the same way about the birthday present my sister sent me weeks ago that still hasn't arrived, my post office seemed to be on strike all this past week.

How can it be allowed to go on like this? It's so dumb they have a monopoly and they just make everyone want to use parcel services, which are notoriously annoying (between 9-5 monday to friday- the exact time I'm at work- marvellous)
Someone needs the sack.

How can it be allowed to go on like this? It's so dumb they have a monopoly and they just make everyone want to use parcel services, which are notoriously annoying (between 9-5 monday to friday- the exact time I'm at work- marvellous)
Someone needs the sack.

Royal Mail do not have a monopoly.. anyone can collect, process, sort and deliver mail if they wish. The simple fact is, it's too difficult to do this without 180,000 staff. You often hear on the news about Royal Mail 'losing contracts' with the likes of online retailer Amazon... But, Royal Mail still actually deliver it all...it's just that the new middle men now have the contracts, then send it all to Royal Mail to process and deliver.

I'm feeling the same way about the birthday present my sister sent me weeks ago that still hasn't arrived, my post office seemed to be on strike all this past week.

Oh, and.. wait until the company take on 30,000 temps - then you will really see things go missing. We have had it in the past, it's a f***ing shambles. :o

Someone needs the sack.

You are right, but it's not the poor sod who has to lump around a heavy bag all day.

You need to look very high up in the organisation to see which numpties need sacking - Adam Crozier would be first on the list for me http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Crozier Royal Mail made £321Million in profit last year and this joker has a £3million a year package - whilst he expects delivery staff to accept a pay freeze and to work even harder for it.

The last time I checked, the Royal Mail was publicly owned - so he's a public servant - earning £3million - something has gone wrong there.

Mick's comments about RM delivering most of the post relating to private contracts are spot on. Which knob head at the Competition Commission dreamed up that scenario? As Mick said, it's a f***ing shambles.

A universal, affordable postal service is an essential public service - but it is one that is more than likely unprofitable - however 'modern' it becomes. Politicians need to be honest and accept this and figure out a way to subsidise it properly. Otherwise, management will continue to screw the company and its workforce into the ground.

Support the Strike.

Dave

You are right, but it's not the poor sod who has to lump around a heavy bag all day.

You need to look very high up in the organisation to see which numpties need sacking - Adam Crozier would be first on the list for me http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Crozier Royal Mail made £321Million in profit last year and this joker has a £3million a year package - whilst he expects delivery staff to accept a pay freeze and to work even harder for it.

The last time I checked, the Royal Mail was publicly owned - so he's a public servant - earning £3million - something has gone wrong there.

Mick's comments about RM delivering most of the post relating to private contracts are spot on. Which knob head at the Competition Commission dreamed up that scenario? As Mick said, it's a f***ing shambles.

A universal, affordable postal service is an essential public service - but it is one that is more than likely unprofitable - however 'modern' it becomes. Politicians need to be honest and accept this and figure out a way to subsidise it properly. Otherwise, management will continue to screw the company and its workforce into the ground.

Support the Strike.

Dave

Amen to that Dave..

Union fury as Royal Mail bosses pocket £10m bonus bonanza... for implementing cost cutting measures

Chief executive: Adam Crozier
Royal Mail bosses have shared more than £10million in bonuses for implementing cost-cutting measures that union leaders blame for pushing the organisation to the brink of a national strike.
Thirteen current and former executives at the state-owned company have pocketed large rewards since 2002-3 for hitting targets aimed at modernising the business.
But a spokesman for the Communication Workers Union said Royal Mail directors have been getting 'unwarranted bonuses' for cost cutting and axing jobs.
The postal group reported an operating profit of £321million in the year to 31 March - the first time in 20 years that all four parts of the business had been profitable.

But the CWU spokesman said: 'So why haven't the workforce had a pay rise then?'
He noted that, despite the financial improvement, workers have had their pay frozen for 12 months. The average postal worker earns a gross of £346 a week.
Royal Mail chief Adam Crozier has banked £2.4million in performance bonuses since arriving at the group in 2003.
This boosted his £3.6million total salary over the period, not including further perks that have added millions more to his rewards package
Details of the largesse emerged as more than 140,000 postal workers prepare to strike over job security and working conditions.

It is not the first time Mr Crozier's pay has caused uproar at Royal Mail.
Last year he received more than £3million, or about 180 times a typical postman's salary, during a period when he was attempting to shut down 2,500 Post Offices'

The French must be so proud of us.

And I'll bet the queue for those 30,000 posts will be 300,000 people long.
There's 2.5million umemployed in case you haven't noticed.

Oh, and in case you hadnt noticed.. at least 1 million of those 2.5 million unemployed are work-shy cu*ts.
We have had thousands of temps come and go over the years, 90% of these are Agency employed minimum wage brothers....and most of them can't face carrying heavy bags around for 4 hours in the cold and piss rain day after day.

Tags
woodie guthrie
Back
Top Bottom