Uncut / The Smiths - Ultimate Music Guide (April 2019) includes "California Son" review

Note: Available now for purchase in app stores.

Posted by an anonymous person in the thread Official reviews for California Son:

The first review is out!

It's from Uncut. Can't quite see the score here but it's pretty positive and reads like a 7 or 8/10.
Interestingly, I think Uncut published the first review of Low in High School with a damning score (possibly 5/10) and the conclusion that it was his worst since Kill Uncle.
Please add other reviews to this thread (although there probably won't be many for another few 3 or 4 weeks).

Also posted by an anonymous person:

Morning Starship 4/5
Don't Interrupt the Sorrow 3/5
Only a Pawn in Their Game 4/5
Suffer the Little Children 5/5
Days of Decision 4/5
It's Over 4/5
Wedding Bell Blues 3/5
Loneliness Remembers What Happiness Forgets 3/5
Lady Willpower 5/5
When You Close Your Eyes 3/5
Lenny's Tune 3/5
Some Say (I Got Devil) 4/5

45/60

Click the Uncut Tweet

Also posted by Famous when dead:

For those who collect magazines the review is in this:
The Smiths – Ultimate Music Guide (Deluxe Edition) - £10.99

47175_47159_SMITHS-BKZ-cover-822x595.jpg

https://www.uncut.co.uk/publication...usic-guide-deluxe-edition#WXfPw3ZcFywvTUDO.99

(Link not seen in Strange... thread at time of posting).
Bit expensive IMHO.
FWD.

Last edited:
Yes, encouraging and positive review, just once again a very silly last line.
Lady Willpower for next single I would think ;)

While I don't find the songs from California Son to be bad.. I find them to be unmemorable and uninteresting.

Am I the only one who has listened only once or twice to any of these songs?

I am not surprised at this though. When the track listing was released I created a playlist of all the original songs and found that to be completely boring. Having Morrissey redo these songs is the only reason I would ever listen to them again and I'm sure over time 2 or 3 might grow on me but overall I think this album is sub-par and if I wasn't able to stream it free I'd be hard pressed to pony up $10 for a digital download or $12-$15 for a copy of it on CD.

While I don't find the songs from California Son to be bad.. I find them to be unmemorable and uninteresting.

I am not surprised at this though. When the track listing was released I created a playlist of all the original songs and found that to be completely boring. Having Morrissey redo these songs is the only reason I would ever listen to them again and I'm sure over time 2 or 3 might grow on me but overall I think this album is sub-par and if I wasn't able to stream it free I'd be hard pressed to pony up $10 for a digital download or $12-$15 for a copy of it on CD.
I thought the same once about Bowie: Pinups, then I listened to the entire album, in context, uninterrupted, and I was impressed...I expect greater things from this album.....

Seems like it's not for you. But i have listened to Back On The Chain Gang and It's Over a bunch. Morrissey sounds great on those tracks. Not feeling WBB's though but i always disliked the original too

I think the three singles all sound great, but I don't think they add anything to the songs. Morrissey's versions are very close to the originals in all three cases. He sounds like he's having fun and he's in good voice, but I'm not sure what the point is. I'm hoping one of the album track brings something fresh to the older material.

lady willpower 5/5,cant wait.love the original.

...AND cue the props from all people around here who slagged-off UnCut for their accurate review of LIHS. Lol!

Yes, encouraging and positive review, just once again a very silly last line.
Lady Willpower for next single I would think ;)
would love if it was.

I think this album is sub-par,you haven't even heard it yet,least wait till you have heard it before throwing your tuppenceworth in.

Seems like it's not for you. But i have listened to Back On The Chain Gang and It's Over a bunch. Morrissey sounds great on those tracks. Not feeling WBB's though but i always disliked the original too
Such a pity that Chain Gang isn't included on the covers album. I'm not buying LIHS again just for two good songs. His version of Chain Gang is great.

Such a pity that Chain Gang isn't included on the covers album. I'm not buying LIHS again just for two good songs. His version of Chain Gang is great.
But it’s such a pretty colour, worth buying for that alone.....

I won't presume to make a subjective assessment of something I've only heard 30% of.
That said, a fair criticism might be:
The album was advertised back in Oct. last year as an homage to American songwriters aka an 'American Songbook'.
Other artists have released similar styles of album with good success.
With the digital release of each song, there's been no real selling of the songbook idea. The Lynch album cover doesn't help suggest it either.
A lot of comments I've seen as I trawl through info are around what an odd choice / mismatch the tracks on the album are. I think most of us would expect a varied selection from Morrissey, but it doesn't feel that cohesive. It might well pull together on a full listen, but that's the only bit of the scab I can find to pick at currently.
Getting ready for some RSD rough & tumble...
Regards,
FWD.

We all know that M. is a real music lover, and it must explain this release. Because there is not much to gain (on a financial level) from this kind of effort, as he doesnt own the publishing rights nor the writing credits. As a simple performer the outcome must be very low, especially under the US law, the amount is up to the record company, and depends of the estimate sales numbers.

On the other hand, it doesnt cost much to do, 1 or 2 takes per songs, 4 weeks in studio top for the musicians.
The music on the titles we have had the chance to listen is very generic, backing track style. But the voice is really really good.

Or maybe it's a way to end a contract... Or to support a tour...

This album should have consisted of:

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun - Cyndi Lauper
Maria - Debbie Harry
Science of Silence - Richard Ashcroft
Mary's Prayer - Danny Wilson
Blue In The Face - Alkaline Trio
People Ain't No Good - Nick Cave
Intervention - Arcade Fire
Because The Night - Patti Smith
Hollow Man - R.E.M.
Game of Pricks - Guided By Voices
Passionate Kisses - Mary Chapin Carpenter
Pretty In Pink - Psychedelic Furs
Nothing Ever Happens - Del Amitri
Postcards From Italy - Beirut
Do You Realize?? - The Flaming Lips
Levi Stubbs' Tears - Billy Bragg
One Last Love Song - The Beautiful South
Dishes - Pulp
Patience of Angels - Eddi Reader
When You Were Young - The Killers
The King of Wishful Thinking - Go West
Live In A Hiding Place - Idlewild
Going Down Liverpool - The Bangles
Show Me Heaven - Maria Mckee
Metal Mickey - Suede

With regards to the album, it’s not the kind of thing I’d want to go to watch a tour based upon. If most of the broadway set is gonna be these covers people will be largely disappointed. And knowing Moz, that will probably be the case. He seems to obstinately push his new material (which I guess is understandable from the artists POV) but it’s not as if he performs 2 hours+ shows where he can also throw in lots of crowd pleasers (again, not as if he designs sets to please the crowd, either!) It’s really going to polarise audiences I feel.

Tags
california son info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom