Morrissey Central Unsung (December 11, 2020)

Unsung

December 11, 2020
Unknown_vwiksy.jpg

" Mavis Nicholson is, or was - or is still the best television interviewer from these isles. She broadcast the most
compelling TV interviews with James Baldwin, Kenneth Williams, Bette Davis, Nina Simone, Germaine Greer,
David Bowie … but somehow had only an afternoon transmission - never evening, unlike most of the traditionally sexist
male interviewers. I was lucky enough to be interviewed by her in, I think 1991, when she came to visit me with a
small crew of technicians. I was so much in awe of Mavis … her humanity, her ease, her intellect … that I typically
completely messed it all up. I didn't think I was ready for such an important interview … I didn't think I was "me" yet,
and I rattled on so much about self-destruction and the inevitability of suicide that I later asked Mavis not to air our
conversation. She agreed not to … probably thinking it to be just too much. I often wonder where those tapes
ended up. On a skip, perhaps. But nonetheless, her very impressive interviews ought to be either re-shown or
made available on DVD because they are absolutely a vital study of how to get the best out of the subject … no
sex jokes, no fake and intrusive audience laughter, no loud or lavish sets … just a very classy connection requiring
nothing but gentle charm and the power of words." Morrissey, December 2020.

Last edited:
Lost interview referenced here in Spin November 1992 (or read here, for those who prefer the magazine layout).

"SPIN: But, objectively, it doesn’t seem to me that you have a reason not to like yourself.

Morrissey: More to the point, I don’t have a reason to like myself. I did an interview once with Mavis Nicholson. And after the interview, she whispered to a friend of mine, 'There’s nothing he likes about himself, is there?' And it was a crushing moment. I thought, well, Mavis, 30 minutes is all it took you to find out."

I completely agree with him (about tv).

I've been watching her on YouTube - all of the 70s interviews are better than now. They're mostly trying to understand & not create drama & witch-hunts.

Ach, it really is a shame that his shyness is so bad.

Unsung

December 11, 2020

" Mavis Nicholson is, or was - or is still the best television interviewer from these isles. She broadcast the most
compelling TV interviews with James Baldwin, Kenneth Williams, Bette Davis, Nina Simone, Germaine Greer,
David Bowie … but somehow had only an afternoon transmission - never evening, unlike most of the traditionally sexist
male interviewers. I was lucky enough to be interviewed by her in, I think 1991, when she came to visit me with a
small crew of technicians. I was so much in awe of Mavis … her humanity, her ease, her intellect … that I typically
completely messed it all up. I didn't think I was ready for such an important interview … I didn't think I was "me" yet,
and I rattled on so much about self-destruction and the inevitability of suicide that I later asked Mavis not to air our
conversation. She agreed not to … probably thinking it to be just too much. I often wonder where those tapes
ended up. On a skip, perhaps. But nonetheless, her very impressive interviews ought to be either re-shown or
made available on DVD because they are absolutely a vital study of how to get the best out of the subject … no
sex jokes, no fake and intrusive audience laughter, no loud or lavish sets … just a very classy connection requiring

One more Moz 'mystery'...solved...?

https://www.morrissey-solo.com/threads/request-morrissey-interview-with-mavis-nicholson.109555/

Oh well, plenty of puzzles yet remain ;)

Do we think this was a plea for someone to release it?

From Queen Babs to Marvellous Mavis ~ Morrisseyworld indeed.

Do we think this was a plea for someone to release it?

Oh, yes.
If not for the public, he definitely wants a copy for himself. 😉

Oh, yes.
If not for the public, he definitely wants a copy for himself. 😉

Ten years ago í assumed that it was from the '80s, but now that it is purported to be from '91...í NEED to see this. If only for the hair. And did Mavis come to Bowdon for tea?

Mind you, given Morrissey's penchant for mis-dating his own history, Ms Nicholson probably talked to him in '85...

Since Morrissey mentioned Dickens in the Spin article, A N Wilson has done a great biography covering his last years.

I didn't realise how in disgrace he was in his social circle. Also that he offended middle-class liberals because he really knew what it was like to be poor & he didn't care if something sounded nice or not, he wanted it to work.

Which is like now!

66824c1d275eebe22103cb10eabb96ad.jpg

I love when Morrissey writes like this.

His writing style has the power to make me feel closer to him.💕

Ten years ago í assumed that it was from the '80s, but now that it is purported to be from '91...í NEED to see this. If only for the hair. And did Mavis come to Bowdon for tea?

Mind you, given Morrissey's penchant for mis-dating his own history, Ms Nicholson probably talked to him in '85...

That's what I thought as well. The part about tea... Still thinking about the bells that could be heard in the background on that Daly tape.

I think we can safely rule out 1991 as the correct date if he thinks that was the year they met. 😉 If he really talked that much about suicide it might have been 89/90.

No matter which year it was, it's without doubt worth tracking down and should be put as bonus material on a DVD/BluRay release of the full 1991 Great Western Forum show...

Last edited:
That's what I thought as well. The part about tea... Still thinking about the bells that could be heard in the background on that Daly tape.

I think we can safely rule out 1991 as the correct date if he thinks that was the year they met. 😉 If he really talked that much about suicide it might have been 89/90.

No matter which year it was, it's without doubt worth tracking down and should be put as bonus material on a DVD/BluRay release of the full 1991 Great Western Forum show...

í mean...what manner of moron would destroy such a thing? It must be out there somewhere...

To be fair, all the time slippages {and perhaps even the cast list housekeeping errors on sleeves} could easily be ascribed to a mix of meds & moods, if you catch my meaning.

And an '89/'90 chat would be even more tantalising {psychologically & hair-wise}.

Would be a must-see supplement to that Blu-Ray of Mr Broad's 1991 tour doc that is imminent... :sleeping:

Since Morrissey mentioned Dickens in the Spin article, A N Wilson has done a great biography covering his last years.

I didn't realise how in disgrace he was in his social circle. Also that he offended middle-class liberals because he really knew what it was like to be poor & he didn't care if something sounded nice or not, he wanted it to work.

Which is like now!

View attachment 66543
Yes, those who think they are writing Morrissey’s epitaph are simply setting the scene for a new introduction.

Yes, those who think they are writing Morrissey’s epitaph are simply setting the scene for a new introduction.

Yeah, I have no doubt. Long-term he's absolutely fine.

I only worry about him here & now. Being alienated from the media. Having to get a new record deal. His health. All of that.

That's very good :clap:

í hope that it's true.

To be fair, all the time slippages {and perhaps even the cast list housekeeping errors on sleeves} could easily be ascribed to a mix of meds & moods, if you catch my meaning.

And just ... age.
I mean, if I think of important events from my own past I couldn't tell you which year they took place either (although... that's probably also due to meds and moods. Mostly moods 🤔).

That's no excuse for the sleeves though 😤

Some ideas to keep team Morrissey occupied during the next (inevitable) lockdown:

- 1991 tour doc
- dust off South With Morrissey (plus bonus footage) (it can't be that bad, can it?)
- give Live At The Hollywood Bowl (2007) a proper release
- Rainbow Valley 7" b/w Moz's version of So Little Time

Last edited:

Do you remember Mavis? I do.... ITV in the 70's....women's magazine style prog in the afternoon..can't remember if her interviews were part of it or separate. Anyway....she seemed ubiquitous back then.

Do you remember Mavis? I do.... ITV in the 70's....women's magazine style prog in the afternoon..can't remember if her interviews were part of it or separate. Anyway....she seemed ubiquitous back then.
Yes, she’s very familiar. But I can’t recall anything she did.

Unsung

December 11, 2020
View attachment 66549

He did not learn anything from those attributes.
Regardless turned into a racist, bigoted arse.

Lost interview referenced here in Spin November 1992 (or read here, for those who prefer the magazine layout).

"SPIN: But, objectively, it doesn’t seem to me that you have a reason not to like yourself.

Morrissey: More to the point, I don’t have a reason to like myself. I did an interview once with Mavis Nicholson. And after the interview, she whispered to a friend of mine, 'There’s nothing he likes about himself, is there?' And it was a crushing moment. I thought, well, Mavis, 30 minutes is all it took you to find out."

Great interview.

Thank you.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom