"USA Chart Position" (#7 Billboard Albums, #3 Vinyl Albums) - Morrissey Central; #95 Billboard 200

UPDATE June 4:

Actual charts are out now:
https://www.billboard.com/charts

Posted by BookishBoy:

Billboard 200 albums: number 95
Billboard album sales: number 7
Billboard vinyl albums: number 3
Billboard independent albums: number 4
Billboard tastemaker albums: number 3
Billboard digital albums: number 9
Billboard artist 100: number 58

The comparison quoted on Morrissey Central does not appear completely accurate. Link posted by Thewlis:
https://www.billboard.com/music/morrissey/chart-history/billboard-200

Data seems to be shared between the two charts in history, up to Dec. 13, 2014 - Wikipedia):
https://www.billboard.com/music/morrissey/chart-history/top-album-sales

Also, link posted by Morrissey_Sucks:

BUILDING ALBUM SALES CHART - Hits Daily Double
UPDATED DAILY TUESDAY-FRIDAY
Chart Date: 05/31/2019 (WEEK ENDING: 05/30/2019)

#14 MORRISSEY - CALIFORNIA SON - BMG 5,172

USA Chart Position. - Morrissey Central
June 3, 2019

"Morrissey's California Son album has charted at number 7 in the USA Official Billboard Chart.
The vinyl version of the album is number 3 on the LP chart.

This is Morrissey's most successful U.S. chart position to date, following :

Low In High School (10)
Years of Refusal (11)
You Are The Quarry (11)
World Peace Is None of Your Business (14)
Vauxhall and I (18)
Your Arsenal (21)
and so on."

full

Regards,
FWD.

Last edited by a moderator:
It also wouldn't surprise me if someone at BMG or the management team tried to "massage" this news when letting Morrissey know.

Imagine trying to write an email about it! "Dear Morrissey, just to let you know the Billboard album charts are out tomorrow and hey GREAT NEWS you're at #3 in vinyl and #7 in album sales. A bit lower on the Billboard 200 but don't worry about that, we're sure nobody will notice..."

It is 7

https://www.billboard.com/music/morrissey/chart-history/top-album-sales

I'd laugh at the deceit of Central but I'm confused. No way should radio play count towards an album chart. What a silly way to do it.
It doesn't count towards ranking but does have a direct correlation for the Billboard 200 chart via a knock on effect. Album tracks in heavy rotation steer customers to buy and stream the album. Retailers are also supplied with 'most played' and 'most added' lists from radio and some buyers are informed by these lists when it comes to stocking titles and promoting. For example, if someone like Amoeba see in a release that a Morrissey track is the most added at college radio the manager might decide to order more stock of the album and include it in their in store 'recommended' list and/or their email alert to customers. This is a convoluted way of showing how radio can increase pure album sales. It also shows how lack of radio play has a knock on effect for poorer sales and shows why artists (including Morrissey) get very vocal about lack of radio support.

It also wouldn't surprise me if someone at BMG or the management team tried to "massage" this news when letting Morrissey know.

Imagine trying to write an email about it! "Dear Morrissey, just to let you know the Billboard album charts are out tomorrow and hey GREAT NEWS you're at #3 in vinyl and #7 in album sales. A bit lower on the Billboard 200 but don't worry about that, we're sure nobody will notice..."

Or maybe BMG should send him an apology for not promoting it in the US?

It's certainly strange how Morrissey got a lot of radio support in the UK for this album of American covers, but next to no radio airplay in the States.

It's certainly strange how Morrissey got a lot of radio support in the UK for this album of American covers, but next to no radio airplay in the States.
I think the adult-concerned radio stations in the USA focus primarily on classic releases or new and old country, making it more difficult for an older non-country music artist to garner airplay. For instance, Barbra Streisand doesn't get much airplay for her releases in the last two decades in the USA but her older stuff is on constant rotation. In the UK, BBC radio is more likely to play current releases by legacy acts upon release.

TIME OUT COMRADES, PARTY LEADER COMRADE :handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft:, APPOINTED LEADER
OF THE SECRETARIAT OF COMET CUCKERS, WILL MAKE A STATEMENT:

Hello Comrades

I promise you NEVER ever to enter the CAPITALIST RECORD CHARTS!! this i promise...
to SACRFICE my COMET GIVEN TALENT ( lol comrade come, what talent??:lbf:) for the benefit
of all the UK Cuckducks: Twat Sadiq, the bffs, Oridinaryboitoi and Soviet Surface, Party leader Soviet Skinny, the Soviet c*** Tim Jonze and his pravda inspired rag Guardian.
Comrade Barnaby Jones is also to participate in this bag of bones:swear

I will remain BROKE, only food wig and tat money will be necessary!!!

:clap:

Maybe Morrissey needs to start ‘supporting’ Trump to get more hate coverage and therefore better sales/charting in the US. ;)

It seems BMG has put no money into promoting CS in the US.

It seems BMG has put no money into promoting CS in the US.
Yes, but that is very strange, isn't it? He did a very succesful Broadway-residence ánd a Fallon-tv-appearance.
They didn't have to do much more to make it a success.

Anyway, we will read about it in Autobiography II :)

Yes, but that is very strange, isn't it? He did a very succesful Broadway-residence ánd a Fallon-tv-appearance.
They didn't have to do much more to make it a success.

Anyway, we will read about it in Autobiography II :)

Yes, but just one tv appearance and shows in NY can’t compare to the publicity that a tour of the whole country would bring to CS.

But BMG giving zero promotion of CS in the US has only hindered it’s chart
placement.

Yes, but just one tv appearance and shows in NY can’t compare to the publicity that a tour of the whole country would bring to CS.

But BMG giving zero promotion of CS in the US has only hindered it’s chart
placement.

Feels like he has it the wrong way round. Album released and a tour of huge venues, perhaps he should have gone out with a tour of smaller venues around the time of the release, which may have helped with sales and therefore tickets for the larger events later in the year?

Don’t think Sam has ever been called that, though Sam should correct his Central post.
Agree.
Unfortunately, in his excitement Sam posted "awesome" on his private FB to announce the misinformation post and he never corrects Central errors thereafter (not to date at least).
I'd suggest that some of the overly enthusiastic fans fed SER with duff info (those beyond sycophantic FB group types that fawn over him - there's examples of this), or he, himself didn't fact check correctly when he trawls here or Twitter/IG for info to make Central posts.
I don't believe BMG play any role in posts of these types (nor Morrissey himself for that matter - maybe some, but not in all cases).
This site is not the arbiter of what's real is or not on external sites and information is passed on in good faith. If things are not accurate, some of us take the time to edit posts and say why it's wrong. In this case, many posters pointed it out and it was updated. That's about as close to a media-like, 'journalistic' approach to posts being passsed on people should expect from a web forum - feel free to contact SER about his glaring mistakes.
I would go on, but unfortunately people tend to scrutinise the person commenting more than the topic being discussed - despite some of us studying this type of thing extremely closely for years. I've made my own view on the broken chart system and Central misinformation posts many times prior.
Apologies to KS for the tenuous use of the quoted post feature to springboard my point.
Regards,
FWD.

Comrade Surface and his:hearteyecat: boi, ordinaryboitoicucko are
so cute when they post their jabbering. One starts the troll
mostly ordinaryboito (pitcher) and then soviet surface does
the mopping up.(catcher):mask:

its like watching one of the bird cage movies.:hatchedchick: all over
again. So cute.:hibiscus:

Or maybe BMG should send him an apology for not promoting it in the US?

Or maybe Morrissey should send them an apology for visually promoting a ghastly, bigoted, toxic political party, whose policies are totally at odds with most of the people who were ever drawn into his or the Smiths' world, thus reducing album sales by 50 - 60%.

Feels like he has it the wrong way round. Album released and a tour of huge venues, perhaps he should have gone out with a tour of smaller venues around the time of the release, which may have helped with sales and therefore tickets for the larger events later in the year?

Yes agree, would of made sense, but we’re talking about Morrissey here. :lbf:

But at least BMG got some posters up
in the train stations.

But in America? zero promotion by BMG surely did not help chart placement at all.

Tags
california son info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom