Vinyl vs. CD vs. MP3 - which do you use the most?

Which is your general medium of choice?

• Vinyl

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • CD

Votes: 7 29.2%
  • MP3

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Streaming (e.g. Spotify)

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters

the_kaz

I recently bought a record player which converts vinyl to MP3, as I have a handful of rare records which have never been released on CD or MP3 (officially). This is the first time I’ve ever actually owned a record player, and I must say that I have fallen in love with the feeling of holding a physical record and the warm crackly sound of playing them from a turntable. I’m actually tempted to start building up a collection of records, but I’m thinking that maybe this is a frivolous waste of money. After all, I can immediately tell that CDs sound far superior to MP3s, but I still never bother with physical discs anymore, as they’re more hassle than switching on an MP3, and I don’t really have anywhere to put them.

This got me thinking. What is the format of choice for how you usually listen to your music, and why? I’m actually really curious to see the results of this thread. And I've added a fourth option to the poll, streaming, as this is on the verge of becoming the new standard, and it's pretty much a medium of its own in my opinion.

(And sorry if this has already been done before. I did a search, but the last thread on a similar topic that I could find was some years back, and it didn’t have a poll.)

I recently bought a record player which converts vinyl to MP3, as I have a handful of rare records which have never been released on CD or MP3 (officially). This is the first time I’ve ever actually owned a record player, and I must say that I have fallen in love with the feeling of holding a physical record and the warm crackly sound of playing them from a turntable. I’m actually tempted to start building up a collection of records, but I’m thinking that maybe this is a frivolous waste of money. After all, I can immediately tell that CDs sound far superior to MP3s, but I still never bother with physical discs anymore, as they’re more hassle than switching on an MP3, and I don’t really have anywhere to put them.

This got me thinking. What is the format of choice for how you usually listen to your music, and why? I’m actually really curious to see the results of this thread. And I've added a fourth option to the poll, streaming, as this is on the verge of becoming the new standard, and it's pretty much a medium of its own in my opinion.

(And sorry if this has already been done before. I did a search, but the last thread on a similar topic that I could find was some years back, and it didn’t have a poll.)

CDs are the optimum way to go as they marry excellent sound with a physical format with portability. Yeah, a CD sounds better than a 2001-standard 128 bitrate mp3...but next to a 320 I couldn't tell a difference and I'd doubt anyone else really could either in a blind test. So an iPod is fine except for the lack of the almighty "physical format" (a need which is mostly in your mind anyway.)

Vinyl is cool I guess if you're into pain-in-the-ass anachronistic hipster bullshit. And yes it sounds "better" IF you have a top-notch system and if it NEVER gets dirty or warped or cracked or dusty or ANYTHING. But currently it is in vogue because it is the most obvious antithesis to a decade of intangible media, and God knows people love the obvious.

Go with CDs.

I just got a new set of computer speakers - so mp3 it's been most often for me recently. Primarily because it just takes less time than changing CDs. But there really is something about having the physical product. I'm a sucker for liner notes and CD booklet inserts. I'll devour everything down to the copyright.

Streaming (spotify) accounts for at least 95% of my music playing. I play what's left of my vinyl every now and then, CDs strictly in the car, and not often. MP3s there is simply no real use for, with Spotify available. In my defence, most of my record collection was stolen, so I don't really have a good alternative. But I'm not going to start building a serious new one.

In any case, I am on the whole pleased with being streaming-reliant. Primarily because it gives instant access to an enormous volume of music. You don't find everything, but let's put it this way: I have a "feeder" list on which I put things I intend to listen to. It keeps growing more quickly than I can listen to stuff, and now exceeds more than 4,000 songs.

You do need some gadgetry in place to benefit fully. You need a smartphone that can handle the app, which lets you use your phone to play offline-stored playlists even outside network range. You need either a computer or an ipad that you can connect easily to your stereo. It's also an advantage to have dock-station speakers small enough to move around, or a Wi-Fi radio such as a Squeezebox (on which you can use Spotify).

I've been at the other end of things, with a pretty large collection of both vinyls and CDs, and some serious attention paid to a good stereo. Love the sleeves and artwork and liner notes too. What I find though is that this nearly utopian access to music combined with great convenience of use easily trumps the joys of ownership, artwork and sound quality. In the end, the music is what it's all about. And the bottom line with this combination of access and convenience is that you end up listening to much more music - and a greater variety of music - than before.

One thing you do need to do is impose some structure on your listening. Avoid those awful "similar bands" algorithms, which just keeps you going in circles. Listen to whole albums, and give stuff at least a few hearings if you decide to put it on your active list. Follow a couple of good sites for reviews, and use that to feed your playlists - like Pitchfork, or The quietus, depending on your taste. Find a balance between exploring in volume, and listening to stuff in depth and repeatedly.

A final point: The cost is trivial, compared to records. A tenner a month. The equivalent of a about three packed sandwiches at a gas station.

Last edited:
I would do the whole streaming thing if I owned my own internet connection, but alas, I do not, I just have to get by with the 20 gigs I was able to get over on this new computer of mine :straightface:

Interesting reply, Qvist! The only reason why I've never tried this whole Spotify thing is because I assumed that you couldn't play your music on the move without a Wi-Fi connection. I need really need to look into this. It certainly makes sense when you consider that a Spotify subscription starts at £4.99 a month, while a typical new album on iTunes is, I think, £7.99.

Exactly. You can set playlists to "available offline", in which case the tracks are stored on your device exactly as if they were MP3s. Provided you have the premium version, you can carry a large and changeable music library around on your smartphone, without the need for a network.

Vinyl is great for the serious music collector. There is a definite improvement in sound quality versus the digital compression of a CD, and you're (usually) getting the most for your money when it comes to packaging and physicality. CDs are fine if sound quality isn't a huge deal for you and you want something physical and portable for your money. There are a lot of great MP3 sites (like www.mp3caprice.com) that offer 320kbps audio files for dirt cheap. Far superior to Amazon or Itunes, who charge standard prices -- and oftentimes more -- for tracks and albums. More and more LP formats include digital download cards with them so you can have the music in every way possible.

And people say mp3 albums are cheaper. I bought 'Ringleader of The Tormentors' + Joni Mitchell's Hejira and Siouxise and the Banshees Juju, all in CD format for under £10 and it wasn't even an offer. They're just so cheap. People don't realise that these downloads and streaming start of cheap until these companies get the bigger share of the market. Then they can start hiking the prices up to ridiculous amounts.

And people say mp3 albums are cheaper. I bought 'Ringleader of The Tormentors' + Joni Mitchell's Hejira and Siouxise and the Banshees Juju, all in CD format for under £10 and it wasn't even an offer. They're just so cheap. People don't realise that these downloads and streaming start of cheap until these companies get the bigger share of the market. Then they can start hiking the prices up to ridiculous amounts.

http://www.amazon.com/Years-Refusal...71&sr=1-1&keywords=morrissey+years+of+refusal

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Exactly. You can set playlists to "available offline", in which case the tracks are stored on your device exactly as if they were MP3s. Provided you have the premium version, you can carry a large and changeable music library around on your smartphone, without the need for a network.

Thanks for the info, Qvist! Following your reply, I finally downloaded Spotify a few days ago and I pretty much immediately upgraded to the £4.99 a month option. Sound quality isn't the greatest so far, and I don't know what the portable offline version is like yet, but I'm absolutely loving the service! There are some more obscure things that I can't find on it (and even some less obscure things that aren't there, I guess, because of legal reasons), but the selection of music is mostly outstanding. I'd prefer it if there was a more thorough search mode and if Spotify recommended you music based on your listening habits. But, all in all, it's an absolute bargain for £4.99 a month. I can't believe I didn't sign up to it earlier, but I think it was just because I was stuck in this mentality of wanting to "own" things. Cheers!

It may be £4.99 a month now, but just wait until people turn to spotify over the likes of Itunes and CD's; the price will slowly start to creep up just like it has and still is with MP3 players.

Can't believe people still listen to CD's. Spotify is extremely conventional and handy, wherever you are, whether online or offline. It's also economically very viable. And when you really want to enjoy the music and want something physical, vinyl is the best. There's really no place for the CD-format in 2013.

Last edited:
MP3's, mostly because I live in front of a computer and am too lazy for anything else, plus I have become addicted to scrobbling for some reason... Troubling.

Also, Skylarker, I was using a tape deck in my car until about a couple of years ago. I managed to score a very nice refurbished Sony unit for my car later, and it supports USB. I only recently started using that function, but it's apparently old tech.

It's like the future right here and now for me, though. Flash drives are certainly less wasteful than me burning 500 CDr's like I was doing before... IDK if I had a point to make... other than privileged scum don't need to be such c***s about things. Smartphones are for c***s. Morrissey-loving, first-world c***S!

Also, anyone who says hardcopies are obsolete doesn't know jack-shit about anything. Even if I never play a CD/tape/record/reel/MiniDisc (still use them all to some extent... even own a f***ing LaserDisc player, just no discs, ha) after ripping, I'd at least like to know it won't disappear when my hard drive inevitably crashes. "Casual music listeners" who get everything from the iTunes store or some shit can FOAD.

Can't believe people still listen to CD's. Spotify is extremely conventional and handy, wherever you are, whether online or offline. It's also economically very viable. And when you really want to enjoy the music and want something physical, vinyl is the best. There's really no place for the CD-format in 2013.

What a generic opinion.

depends on the person in my opinion,but theres nothing i love more then going to the local record store and flicking threw some new/old releases.I have a fairly decent sound system set up in my studio and i find it antagonizing sometimes to switch from a new record to a compressed mp3 sound.From talking to some people through the internet/record stores,i find people collecting vinyl seem to view collecting as more of a hobby than a quick past time.Also the value of your records rarely go down. ive bought and sold using discogs which is really great for finding not so well known records and gaining back your money if you ever did decide to switch to mp3! anyway good luck in your choice,peace

Back
Top Bottom