What are your origins?

They say my family name was invented when a Belarussian (OR could've been also Polish though) soldier, who apparently fought for Russian army, was wounded by this river in Finland in the 1700's. A Finnish priest's daughter healed him and they fell in love and bla bla bla so they are my ancestors. The river is mentioned in pope's documents because they believed it was evil for it suddenly chanced its flowing direction or something. I guess that Belarussian (OR Polish, they don't know for sure) was so keen on this river that my family is named after this river.
So we don't know, maybe you still are the only Belarussian in here....?
What's your story then?

It's a few pages back... My grandfather is Belarussian and my mother lived there until the age of six. He anglicised his accent and name - well, actually, he chose a completely different name that was much more English - and he doesn't often talk about Belarus. It's sad, because if my mother hadn't told me that she'd lived in Mahilyow, I wouldn't even know I was part Belarussian.

It's a few pages back... My grandfather is Belarussian and my mother lived there until the age of six. He anglicised his accent and name - well, actually, he chose a completely different name that was much more English - and he doesn't often talk about Belarus. It's sad, because if my mother hadn't told me that she'd lived in Mahilyow, I wouldn't even know I was part Belarussian.

I'd say you're still the only true Belarussian in here. My Belarussian roots are sooooo ancient and faded comparing to yours :o
Why doesn't he talk so much about Belarus? Did something happen in there? Maybe it was the best way to start a new life, not remembering the old one.. ?

I'd say you're still the only true Belarussian in here. My Belarussian roots are sooooo ancient and faded comparing to yours :o
Why doesn't he talk so much about Belarus? Did something happen in there? Maybe it was the best way to start a new life, not remembering the old one.. ?

:( Don't leave me! I feel so alone now! *sobs* :p

I dunno. I've never asked him. It's always seemed rude to ask. I'm guessing that he has his reasons not to talk about it - it was the U.S.S.R. at the time, after all. When he does talk about it, it tends to be to my mother and about what she remembers of living there. He lived in lots of places - Bahrain, Czechoslovakia, Canada, to name a few others.

Quite very Polish. Both my parents are Poles, as are their parents. There could be some Jewish/German/Eastern European further back but we don't know.

:) Where in Poland are your folks from? Mine are from Wrocław. That used to be in Germany, so German is in there too.

My mother's side are completely Mancunian (around Moston and those parts) from as far as my Grandma can date and my father's very much Lancastrian (Leyland) with Welsh roots. My dad's side is extremely close knit, bordering on incestious. :o Really.

I don't really know but I have epicanthic folds which annoy me no end. My Grandad (on paternal side) was from Tiger Bay so who knows?! Mother was from Irish stock :thumb:

Scunthorpe... for some reason.

thank god I never lived there.

What's so funny about Dallas?

Funny, I always thought you were from Transylvania. Oh silly me.

hahahahahaha Dallas so funny. I said you were a redneck

The furthest way back I know are Great-Grandparents and they all came from Manchester and everybody since has too. Only now we have strayed a massive 5 miles or so to Stockport

focus on my awesome origins for a change!... and then lets dance to the sound of congas, shall we?
I am all for that. I'll bring the salsa.

Back
Top Bottom