What are your origins?

Bump. I remembered this rather fun website the other day - fun in the way that it's something to play with when bored. I don't know whether similar sites exist for other countries, but this one tells you the concentration of people with your surname in the UK:

http://www.nationaltrustnames.org.uk/

It also gives you little statistics about your name in other countries, like how common it is in the U.S. relative to the U.K. and the ethnicity of your name in the U.K. It has told me that I've probably originally come from Yorkshire, Scotland, Wales and Brummieland. :p

On my mother side, my grand parents were polish. On my father side, we come from the center of France (Berry) for centuries.

I've been told I'm related to Benjamin Rush who signed the Declaration of Independence which most likely means I'm of English origins, but pissy exploratory Englishmen who didn't care for England for some reason and decided to move to America. :)

British through and through (I think). One side of my family is from Norfolk, and the other side hail from the Birmingham area. I have a little bit of Welsh in me too. :)

Have you got the Norfolk accent though?.It's dire I'm sorry to say.I hope I still have more of an Essex accent in me than Norfolk.

Have you got the Norfolk accent though?.It's dire I'm sorry to say.I hope I still have more of an Essex accent in me than Norfolk.

No, I just have...well, no accent at all really, just sort of neutral . :D I have to say the Norfolk accent is one of the only regional accents in the country that I find difficult and slightly grating to listen to. None of my family have it, at least not strongly, which is fortunate.

American for many generations. Prior to that, I'm a mix of Irish/English/Welsh/Scottish/German.

Bump. I remembered this rather fun website the other day - fun in the way that it's something to play with when bored. I don't know whether similar sites exist for other countries, but this one tells you the concentration of people with your surname in the UK:

http://www.nationaltrustnames.org.uk/

It also gives you little statistics about your name in other countries, like how common it is in the U.S. relative to the U.K. and the ethnicity of your name in the U.K. It has told me that I've probably originally come from Yorkshire, Scotland, Wales and Brummieland. :p

When I set it to 1998, I don't get anything because apparently there aren't 100 people in the UK with my surname, so it doesn't get included...
For the other year, the greatest concentration is in East/East Central London. Which is nearly where I live now. :)

Mancunian Irish. Father Irish, Mother Mancunian. Born on St Stephens day in Manchester, in a Maternity Hospital they have since pulled down. Parents had three possible male names for me - Michael, Patrick and Martin, but opted for the saints name. I've never asked what the female names they had planned? No Blue Plaque.

I'm mostly Italian and Polish (great grandparents came off the boat in the early 1900's from both countries) but I have a tad Irish in me and Native American in me from my father (who I never met.)

Interesting fact about Depeche609:
My great ( x's 9 ) grandfather is King Jan Sobieski iii of Poland (1629 - 1696)

I don't know when Poland stopped being ruled by royalty but I wish they still were cause I'd be rich, biatch...:lbf:

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing interesting, but I know part of my paternal grandmother's family came to America from England in the mid-1800's. My grandfather on that side also told me his grandfather or great-grandfather came over from Ireland sometime in the 1800's. On my mother's side there's English and German stock, how far back, I don't know. There's supposedly a little Cherokee Indian thrown in somewhere on my father's side, but I think many Americans (especially Southerners, it seems) can claim at least a small amount of Native American heritage. So...mainly English, German, and Irish for me.

Irish Eskimo, terrible at tarmacing but the winter months are a doddle. x

When I set it to 1998, I don't get anything because apparently there aren't 100 people in the UK with my surname, so it doesn't get included...
For the other year, the greatest concentration is in East/East Central London. Which is nearly where I live now. :)

That's weird, you'd expect it to be the other way around unless you have a really awful surname like Mad. :p
No results for one family surname, in either year, nor for different ways of spelling it.

That's weird, you'd expect it to be the other way around unless you have a really awful surname like Mad. :p
No results for one family surname, in either year, nor for different ways of spelling it.

I've never thought it was that bad, aside from being long and always having to spell it to people...but I'm starting to doubt myself! :p

Back
Top Bottom