what made you frown today?

oh not me, i missed about a day a week when i was young. in grade five i missed 51 days. i remember the number because they circled it in red and put exclamation marks besides it on my report card (which afterward i went around boasting about).

oh ive been wanting to read the goldinch too! but ive got so many other books hanging around my floor that i have to read first before i think about buying any new ones. i've only read 'the secret history' by donna tart which i thought was pretty good. well enjoy it!

51 days? That is impressive. That's almost one third of a school year. LOL

When I turned 16 I refused to take part in (Catholic) religion class. No feigning illness, I just told them I wasn't going to attend. Since I am a protestant there wasn't much they could do. I attended one mass and got a high pass, LOL. I think they wanted to avoid a big stink. This is pretty much how I remember Catholic mass:

Last edited:
51 days? That is impressive. That's almost one third of a school year. LOL

When I turned 16 I refused to take part in (Catholic) religion class. No feigning illness, I just told them I wasn't going to attend. Since I am a protestant there wasn't much they could do. I attended one mass and got a high pass, LOL. I think they wanted to avoid a big stink. This is pretty much how I remember Catholic mass:

sounds fair. did you attend a catholic school or something. i dont think i'd even mind religion class, if we had it. sounds like it'd be easy.

51 days is impressive isnt it?! i dont know how i got away with it. and even now i dont know WHY i hated school so much and felt like i shouldnt have to go, i had no legitimate reason.

also lol @ your text :D

i wish i hadnt returned movies a day late last time i rented them, because i want to rent some more tomorrow but now im too ashamed. what if video store guy is thinking "tut tut" or something? :o

sounds fair. did you attend a catholic school or something. i dont think i'd even mind religion class, if we had it. sounds like it'd be easy.

51 days is impressive isnt it?! i dont know how i got away with it. and even now i dont know WHY i hated school so much and felt like i shouldnt have to go, i had no legitimate reason.

also lol @ your text :D

Sorry for late reply, life got in the way of morrissey-solo. Normal forum duties will be resumed now, including the spamming of the site with my hot boyfriend's travel itinerary and the amount of steps from my holiday villa to the beach. Yes, I went to Catholic school. It put me off religion quite a bit. How you doin?

i wish i hadnt returned movies a day late last time i rented them, because i want to rent some more tomorrow but now im too ashamed. what if video store guy is thinking "tut tut" or something? :o

Gee Rifke, are you really worried? And ashamed? :D
One day? Is that a major offence in Victoria? Do you have to pay a penalty?
I reckon you are a regular customer and a good one.
Let him think "tut tut" and if he does make a remark, I am sure you will have a good rep!y available.
He's not exactly a civil servant, a policeman to have any authority and criticise you.
As if, pffh.
Maybe it is because I am a Dutchman, I hate all authorities telling me what to think, do or feeling ashamed for. :thumb:

Sorry for late reply, life got in the way of morrissey-solo. Normal forum duties will be resumed now, including the spamming of the site with my hot boyfriend's travel itinerary and the amount of steps from my holiday villa to the beach. Yes, I went to Catholic school. It put me off religion quite a bit. How you doin?
life got in the way?!? i dont understand, how can life get in the way when you're supposed to be resting?!
ooh viennese catholic school? was it very rigid? were you taught by nuns?
yay for normal forum duties being resumed! cant wait to hear how many steps to the beach! what do you do when you're at the beach? do you swim? or just lie in the sand? do you tan? i really dont understand what is the point of going to the beach! i'd way rather sit in a nice leafy garden than go to the beach.
eh, im good. same as ever!

Gee Rifke, are you really worried? And ashamed? :D
One day? Is that a major offence in Victoria? Do you have to pay a penalty?
I reckon you are a regular customer and a good one.
Let him think "tut tut" and if he does make a remark, I am sure you will have a good rep!y available.
He's not exactly a civil servant, a policeman to have any authority and criticise you.
As if, pffh.
Maybe it is because I am a Dutchman, I hate all authorities telling me what to think, do or feeling ashamed for. :thumb:
yes, i would have to pay a fine but it's only like $2. im not really worried, but i just kind of feel silly. i mean, i feel silly in the first place, going there renting my silly movies. if i werent such a regular customer it wouldnt be a big deal to me, but there's a personal aspect to it that makes me feel uncomfortable. i dont know, im a bit of a neurotic bunny!

yes, i would have to pay a fine but it's only like $2. im not really worried, but i just kind of feel silly. i mean, i feel silly in the first place, going there renting my silly movies. if i werent such a regular customer it wouldnt be a big deal to me, but there's a personal aspect to it that makes me feel uncomfortable. i dont know, im a bit of a neurotic bunny!

I think I sort of, can understand the feeling but not relating to you renting your silly videos, as the ones you named are not that at all. Is is that not many people are renting videos and you feel kind of "left out" in this so-called digital society? Making you feeling silly?

I'd say, f*** it, do what you want and the question remains to be seen if your are really missing out that much!
At the same time, I like it how you describe the feeling of being silly as it does make a relativation regarding all serious, complicated, distressing and boring things of life.

life got in the way?!? i dont understand, how can life get in the way when you're supposed to be resting?!
ooh viennese catholic school? was it very rigid? were you taught by nuns?
yay for normal forum duties being resumed! cant wait to hear how many steps to the beach! what do you do when you're at the beach? do you swim? or just lie in the sand? do you tan? i really dont understand what is the point of going to the beach! i'd way rather sit in a nice leafy garden than go to the beach.
eh, im good. same as ever!

I've been taking a few trips to the hospital, exciting isn't it?

Viennese Catholic school. There were a few nuns, but mainly normal teachers. It was kind of like a regular school but with a heavy focus on religious education. Lots of moralising, lots of masses, lots of Vater Unsers. Needless to say it was awful. The most horrendous thing they did was kick out a pregnant and desperate 16 year old girl because she “brought shame on the school” (instead of helping and supporting her when she really needed help and support). I got into trouble once because I wore a Sister of Mercy t-shirt, which they thought was a serious provocation because “that kind of music is the work of the devil”.

The beach. Where to start? Of course I swim. That’s the first thing I do. It’s a nice little secluded beach, part rocky part sandy, and the colour of the sea - there are all possible shades of blue, from turquoise to sapphire. The water is crystal clear and the temperature perfect, not too cold, not too warm. I’ve recently discovered snorkelling - all the cool creatures that live under water, crabs, beautiful fish, ugly fish! Then it’s time to dry off, maybe read some stuff, drink some stuff, or to just sit and contemplate life, just sit in silence, just soak it all in. As I live in one of the darkest, greyest cities (since you like cold and dark, have you considered emigrating to Gothenburg instead of Paris?) I have such a need for sun, light and warmth that I can just sit or lie on the beach and soak up the sun for hours. When it gets too hot I just go for another swim. Then, after a 20 min walk along a rocky path along the coast (with the most beautiful views, an old lighthouse, one of these little whiter-than-white chapels and all kinds of exotic plants growing, from wild orchids to a rare type of buttercup to funny cacti, even though the landscape at first seems sparse) there’s a little bay with a tavern where Yannis and his wife serve lovely vegan and vegetarian dishes and the wine costs 80 cents a glass. So we eat and hang out for a while. Maybe another swim. Then at 15:00 it gets too hot (all the shops and restaurants close between 15:00 and 18:00), so back home and sleep. Then back to the beach for another swim. When I’m alone I sometimes sleep on the beach, in a hammock between two olive trees. It’s the most amazing thing. There’s always a gentle breeze, and it’s so quiet and you can see the stars and the Milky Way (I can’t but most people can; just knowing that you can see the stars and the Milky Way makes me happy though) … and the best part is waking up on the beach and going for a swim at sunrise. I have a cup, a lighter and some nescafe stashed away behind a rock so I can make coffee on the beach in the morning, on some old campfire thingie that a bunch of French hippies left behind. Ahh. :)

Last edited:

Viennese Catholic school. There were a few nuns, but mainly normal teachers. It was kind of like a regular school but with a heavy focus on religious education. Lots of moralising, lots of masses, lots of Vater Unsers. Needless to say it was awful. The most horrendous thing they did was kick out a pregnant and desperate 16 year old girl because she “brought shame on the school” (instead of helping and supporting her when she really needed help and support). I got into trouble once because I wore a Sister of Mercy t-shirt, which they thought was a serious provocation because “that kind of music is the work of the devil”.

The beach. Where to start? Of course I swim. That’s the first thing I do. It’s a nice little secluded beach, part rocky part sandy, and the colour of the sea - there are all possible shades of blue, from turquoise to sapphire. The water is crystal clear and the temperature perfect, not too cold, not too warm. I’ve recently discovered snorkelling - all the cool creatures that live under water, crabs, beautiful fish, ugly fish! Then it’s time to dry off, maybe read some stuff, drink some stuff, or to just sit and contemplate life, just sit in silence, just soak it all in. As I live in one of the darkest, greyest cities (since you like cold and dark, have you considered emigrating to Gothenburg instead of Paris?) I have such a need for sun, light and warmth that I can just sit or lie on the beach and soak up the sun for hours. When it gets too hot I just go for another swim. Then, after a 20 min walk along a rocky path along the coast (with the most beautiful views, an old lighthouse, one of these little whiter-than-white chapels and all kinds of exotic plants growing, from wild orchids to a rare type of buttercup to funny cacti, even though the landscape at first seems sparse) there’s a little bay with a tavern where Yannis and his wife serve lovely vegan and vegetarian dishes and the wine costs 80 cents a glass. So we eat and hang out for a while. Maybe another swim. Then at 15:00 it gets too hot (all the shops and restaurants close between 15:00 and 18:00), so back home and sleep. Then back to the beach for another swim. When I’m alone I sometimes sleep on the beach, in a hammock between two olive trees. It’s the most amazing thing. There’s always a gentle breeze, and it’s so quiet and you can see the stars and the Milky Way (I can’t but most people can; just knowing that you can see the stars and the Milky Way makes me happy though) … and the best part is waking up on the beach and going for a swim at sunrise. I have a cup, a lighter and some nescafe stashed away behind a rock so I can make coffee on the beach in the morning, on some old campfire thingie that a bunch of French hippies left behind. Ahh. :)
oh gosh, that actually sounds very idyllic, love the way you described it! doesnt sound like a bad way to endure the summer at all! in the land of the gods, no less! aren't you afraid of the things that live in the ocean though? jelly fish and sting rays and sea weed that grabs your ankles and pulls you under? i've never been swimming in the ocean, not once! so, does everything reopen again at 18:00 or what's the deal? what time does dancing and cocktails commence?
it's nice that it's a secluded beach, here i was envisioning it full of tourists. also, there's something very poignant about you saying that you cant see the stars but it makes you happy just knowing that you can <3
about those 'whiter than white' buildings, i've always wondered when they were built. i mean, are they very old buildings or is that the way they're still building them? they look great, but doesnt the glare from the sun on them hurt your eyes? my eyes hurt just looking at pictures of them.

oh, haha, im not emigrating to paris, silly. although i do love the idea of throwing my arms around paris, i imagine it would be too hard to find a job there (judging from all the moroccans who have to resort to following you trying to get you to buy their questionably attained gold chains). im just using that as my starting point, since it's the cheapest place to fly to on the continent. i would love to live in sweden, now you're talking! i imagine swedens probably very rigid about illegals too though, no?

religious people are funny. my mom had some very religious friends and i remember they wouldnt let their daughter watch care bears because it was "satanic". i remember they had this book hanging around their coffee table called "turmoil in the toybox", about how the devil gets his hooks into your children through cartoons and whatnot. i thought it very ominous.

everything good with you health-wise? is that it for your greek adventures or will you be going back? say hi to yannis for me!

I think I sort of, can understand the feeling but not relating to you renting your silly videos, as the ones you named are not that at all. Is is that not many people are renting videos and you feel kind of "left out" in this so-called digital society? Making you feeling silly?

I'd say, f*** it, do what you want and the question remains to be seen if your are really missing out that much!
At the same time, I like it how you describe the feeling of being silly as it does make a relativation regarding all serious, complicated, distressing and boring things of life.
i definitely do not feel like im missing out! if i felt that i was missing out i would get on board with all the digital stuff. no, i like being a luddite. i think the reason why i say it is 'silly' is not because i myself think it's silly--i take my interests very seriously, i assure you--but because i imagine that's how other people see it. i guess im just used to that being the reaction whenever i have an interest in something that other people--being philistines--cant understand. and always, whenever i confess my interests to people--which ive stopped doing, because other people are philistines--i've always felt very cheap afterwards, because i know they think it's silly. so i guess that's why renting movies makes me feel awkward, because they see me as this silly girl who comes in and rents armloads of movies, the kind which a lot of people might not see the appeal in, and for what purpose? so, you see, i just like my interactions with the video store people to be as brief as possible.

i definitely do not feel like im missing out! if i felt that i was missing out i would get on board with all the digital stuff. no, i like being a luddite. i think the reason why i say it is 'silly' is not because i myself think it's silly--i take my interests very seriously, i assure you--but because i imagine that's how other people see it. i guess im just used to that being the reaction whenever i have an interest in something that other people--being philistines--cant understand. and always, whenever i confess my interests to people--which ive stopped doing, because other people are philistines--i've always felt very cheap afterwards, because i know they think it's silly. so i guess that's why renting movies makes me feel awkward, because they see me as this silly girl who comes in and rents armloads of movies, the kind which a lot of people might not see the appeal in, and for what purpose? so, you see, i just like my interactions with the video store people to be as brief as possible.

Okay, I understand but maybe to me there is a different meaning to the word silly. As many people stick to that word and rating it completely negative and derogative.
To me it doesn't. Silly can be quite funny, surprising, disarming and innocent too, as children can be.
It's all semantics of course. :rolleyes:

How is it you accept yourself as a luddite, but at the same time there is this awareness of how other people might think of you as being silly (in a negative sense, for you) ?
Does it influence your thinking, or feelings in a negative way?
Are you in any way adjusting your behavior to deal with the philistines now?
Because you know, after earlier experiences, it will disappointe you to be open and honest to them?

You see, I am interested for having to deal with these issues myself.
And, I realise not all people are philistines, although many are but still I like to give people the benefit of the doubt even if the chance is great I might be disappointed.

You are right of course to take your interests serious as I do but sometimes I rethink and just laugh about it all and think it to be very silly.

So now, finally the last 5 years or so, I don't give a damn anymore what other people might think as you said yourself, the majority consists of philistines.
It took me a long time but I do feel more free now.
But I must say, I am curious about the short encounters you have with videotore guy. :D

Okay, I understand but maybe to me there is a different meaning to the word silly. As many people stick to that word and rating it completely negative and derogative.
To me it doesn't. Silly can be quite funny, surprising, disarming and innocent too, as children can be.
It's all semantics of course. :rolleyes:

How is it you accept yourself as a luddite, but at the same time there is this awareness of how other people might think of you as being silly (in a negative sense, for you) ?
Does it influence your thinking, or feelings in a negative way?
Are you in any way adjusting your behavior to deal with the philistines now?
Because you know, after earlier experiences, it will disappointe you to be open and honest to them?

You see, I am interested for having to deal with these issues myself.
And, I realise not all people are philistines, although many are but still I like to give people the benefit of the doubt even if the chance is great I might be disappointed.

You are right of course to take your interests serious as I do but sometimes I rethink and just laugh about it all and think it to be very silly.

So now, finally the last 5 years or so, I don't give a damn anymore what other people might think as you said yourself, the majority consists of philistines.
It took me a long time but I do feel more free now.
But I must say, I am curious about the short encounters you have with videotore guy. :D
well that's just it. they think it's childlike of me, i think, in the sense that they dont take it seriously. no, things not in the mainstream are not to be taken seriously. that's just a weird quirk of mine, a self indulgence. now, if i liked will ferrel movies then we could talk!

*sigh* it's really hard, you know, being surrounded by philistines all the time.

i dont feel that i adjusted my behaviour but rather that i wised up. i didnt know, see, that all these people were philistines before. i always gave them the benefit of the doubt. if i had known that they were i wouldnt have talked to them about things of importance in the first place, since i try to eschew philistines altogether, as a rule. the only change is that now i know.

it's not that i care what they think; i just feel like they're not fit to receive anything i have to say.

i love klaus nomi so much; he's supplanted oscar wilde as my eternal favourite person, never thought i'd see that day. whoever thought some little wisp of a thing could topple the megalith that is oscar, and yet.... oh, but it's no good! he's dead and im alive! oh klaus, what are we to do.......

Last edited:
i love klaus nomi so much; he's supplanted oscar wilde as my eternal favourite person, never thought it'd see that day. but he's dead and im alive! oh klaus, what are we to do.......

Oh Klaus, he had his nazi party book under his pillow until the day he died. He was a staunch nazi and was famous for painting swastikas on jewish peoples homes.

The New York Post had an article on this but it has since been deleted.

oh gosh, that actually sounds very idyllic, love the way you described it! doesnt sound like a bad way to endure the summer at all! in the land of the gods, no less! aren't you afraid of the things that live in the ocean though? jelly fish and sting rays and sea weed that grabs your ankles and pulls you under? i've never been swimming in the ocean, not once! so, does everything reopen again at 18:00 or what's the deal? what time does dancing and cocktails commence?
it's nice that it's a secluded beach, here i was envisioning it full of tourists. also, there's something very poignant about you saying that you cant see the stars but it makes you happy just knowing that you can <3
about those 'whiter than white' buildings, i've always wondered when they were built. i mean, are they very old buildings or is that the way they're still building them? they look great, but doesnt the glare from the sun on them hurt your eyes? my eyes hurt just looking at pictures of them.

oh, haha, im not emigrating to paris, silly. although i do love the idea of throwing my arms around paris, i imagine it would be too hard to find a job there (judging from all the moroccans who have to resort to following you trying to get you to buy their questionably attained gold chains). im just using that as my starting point, since it's the cheapest place to fly to on the continent. i would love to live in sweden, now you're talking! i imagine swedens probably very rigid about illegals too though, no?

religious people are funny. my mom had some very religious friends and i remember they wouldnt let their daughter watch care bears because it was "satanic". i remember they had this book hanging around their coffee table called "turmoil in the toybox", about how the devil gets his hooks into your children through cartoons and whatnot. i thought it very ominous.

everything good with you health-wise? is that it for your greek adventures or will you be going back? say hi to yannis for me!

I am getting better, thank you. I’ll be going back to work on Wednesday. I’ll just have to be careful and am not allowed to exercise for three months. I don’t know about my Greek adventures yet but I’m a little into the idea of spending Christmas there this year. I’ve never done that, am curious what it’s like. It would also be nice to escape the usual Christmas madness here.

The white houses, they still build them like that. They have very strict building regulations: Houses cannot exceed two floors (ground and first) and the first floor area must either be equal to or exactly 1/3 of the ground floor. Doors and windows must be made of wood, must conform to certain aesthetic standards and you are only allowed to paint them blue, teal or light grey. Buildings need to be white-washed (they can refuse you electricity if not) - even Starbucks need to comply!

Screen Shot 2017-08-13 at 10.00.48.png

About Sweden. I would like to take back my suggestion because … I can’t really recommend it wholeheartedly. You once said that you preferred scuzzy Seattle to Vancouver because Vancouver is just boring (I hope I’m not misquoting you). That’s kind of how I feel about Sweden. If you walk around Stockholm everyone looks nice and is well-dressed, it’s all very clean and nice and perfect, but it’s a little boring and … lacking something. It’s beautiful but devoid of soul. Of course it’s difficult to find under the table work, if not impossible. And yes, it’s very rigid, and very, I dunno, unwelcoming and weird sometimes. Vienna or Amsterdam are much more fun if you ask me.

I can’t believe you’ve never been swimming in the ocean. To be fair I’ve only swum in the North Sea twice as it’s not very inviting, and I totally get your point. But the Aegean Sea is wonderful and the creatures that live in it are very friendly. I came across a sea turtle once. They are very shy. They are endangered now and a lot of them get killed by fishing nets, speed boats and plastic, but every once in a while you get to see one, and it was the most beautiful and humbling experience to swim with one of these wonderful creatures that have been around for millions of years. See, the ocean isn’t horrible, the only horrible things about it are speed boats, fishing gear and pollution. Yes, humans killing marine life makes me frown, today and every day.

I need some coffee now.

Just seeing the Starbucks logo always makes me crave coffee. Like Pavlov's dog.

Forgot to say above that cocktails and dancing rarely commence before midnight. Locals don't even eat dinner before 22-ish.

Last edited:

It sounds pretty much like my summer days by the lake. I am fortunate enough to live near lake, so as soon as I get out of work (at 2 pm) I get right there and don't come home until around dinner time. Yesterday was just perfect. Water temperature 22, air 36. I sunbathe a lot and I have to identify with you that when you live in a cold climate, you make the best of what the hot days can offer. I just soak it up like an iguana and when it gets too hot a just go for a swim. Yesterday, a sudden wind came out of nowhere which created massive waves for about an hour. All the kids came in and crashed into the waves like dolphins. I wish I had a camera to take a picture of it.

Just seeing the Starbucks logo always makes me crave coffee. Like Pavlov's dog.

Forgot to say above that cocktails and dancing rarely commence before midnight. Locals don't even eat dinner before 22-ish.
I beg you to watch this movie. If you care you won't buy another cup from Starbucks. Indeed, the rich must get richer and the poor must stay poor.

Back
Top Bottom