Which record label should release "Bonfire Of Teenagers"?

@Ketamine Sun
Nice try, of course, fiercely opposing opinion to all my points. I expect nothing else from you. I don't think that his fall from the pedestal is only due to the bad, so unfair press, but also to his musical and lyrical development. What is a song by IANADOAC worth compared to any song by the Smiths? Nothing at all. You can gloss over that and a few Morlocks would agree with you but in the end you are a blind worshipper who fails to see the reality. "Roots" means his work with The Smiths and the start of his Solo career, when people with a musical taste and vision surrounded him and knew what fitted him.
Artistically, he hasn't been at his zenith for a long time (re-enter Alain Whyte) and only people like you see his career as a progressive one. And I'm sure Ricky Martini would love to have hot sex in his mother's backyard too. I'm afraid you have no imagination.
You don't seem to be able to differentiate between arguments against Morrissey's lyrics in the past 10-15 years and the mediocre music of his minions. Just always: "No, it's not like that!".

BOT will ROTT!

Last edited:
Because, I dont't want him to sound like a tired, washed-up copy of latter-day Depeche Mode (River clean).
Because, I dont't want him to sound like Ricky Martin meets some other hot latino star (all of WPINOYB).
Because, I dont't want him to use flamengo guitars and castanets too.
Because, I don't want him to improvise like he does on "The secret of music", because it's bloody awful and he isn't Eno or Reed.
Because, I dont't want him to use breakbeat drums patterns to try to follow the 90s Zeitgeist (Jim Jim sic!).
Because, I don't want him to sound like some dark hip Postpunk band like he does on the awful extra material on LIHS.
Because, I don't want him to sound like The Doors 1968 (Lover-to-be) to please the American market.
Get back to Britain, find your musical roots and a guy like Stephen Steet, who knows about those roots. And try to remember what made you irresistible in the first place. It wasn't talking openly about right-wing Politics (Farage for Prime minister anybody?) or alination from everything accept the few left ones aka chosen ones.

Now you @Ketamine Sun
I'd love to hear Martin Gore's version of "Once I Saw The River Clean." It's pretty easy to imagine. I agree with lots of the rest of that though. :thumb:

I absolutely love Once I Saw the River Clean. It's superior to basically anything Depeche Mode has released since 2005. And I say this as a huge DM fan.

Thank you, but NO. I hope Alain Whyte delets the master reel, so further reissues of IANADOAC will exclude this tiresome DM copy.
And on this occasion, he should delete everytyhing that tries to sound like The Editors or Interpol (Not Magazine, @Ketamine Sun) l from the LIHS era and beyond.

Last edited:
Because, I dont't want him to sound like a tired, washed-up copy of latter-day Depeche Mode (River clean).
Because, I dont't want him to sound like Ricky Martin meets some other hot latino star (all of WPINOYB).
Because, I dont't want him to use flamengo guitars and castanets too.
Because, I don't want him to improvise like he does on "The secret of music", because it's bloody awful and he isn't Eno or Reed.
Because, I dont't want him to use breakbeat drums patterns to try to follow the 90s Zeitgeist (Jim Jim sic!).
Because, I don't want him to sound like some dark hip Postpunk band like he does on the awful extra material on LIHS.
Because, I don't want him to sound like The Doors 1968 (Lover-to-be) to please the American market.
Get back to Britain, find your musical roots and a guy like Stephen Steet, who knows about those roots. And try to remember what made you irresistible in the first place. It wasn't talking openly about right-wing Politics (Farage for Prime minister anybody?) or alination from everything accept the few left ones aka chosen ones.

Now you @Ketamine Sun
90s.JPG

@Ketamine Sun
Nice try, of course, fiercely opposing opinion to all my points. I expect nothing else from you. I don't think that his fall from the pedestal is only due to the bad, so unfair press, but also to his musical and lyrical development. What is a song by IANADOAC worth compared to any song by the Smiths? Nothing at all. You can gloss over that and a few Morlocks would agree with you but in the end you are a blind worshipper who fails to see the reality. "Roots" means his work with The Smiths and the start of his Solo career, when people with a musical taste and vision surrounded him and knew what fitted him.
Artistically, he hasn't been at his zenith for a long time (re-enter Alain Whyte) and only people like you see his career as a progressive one. And I'm sure Ricky Martini would love to have hot sex in his mother's backyard too. I'm afraid you have no imagination.
You don't seem to be able to differentiate between arguments against Morrissey's lyrics in the past 10-15 years and the mediocre music of his minions. Just always: "No, it's not like that!".

BOT will ROTT!

TLDR

Must suck being you.

Oh, you give up your fight against windmills, abandon your hard-headed defence strategy and get personal. Regrettable.

I see you’re familiar with the Gysin/ Burroughs cut-up technique.

Surely a loss is guaranteed if it never comes out at all? Maybe it’s not simply about the money for Moz.

Morrissey is a millionaire - he doesn't need the money. Actually, maybe if it never gets released he can write it off as a tax loss?

I know lots of examples of "lost" albums but those are usually situations where the band isn't happy with the results and so they go and write more and/or re-record. Is there an example where an established artist has a completed album (that they are happy with) but can'f get a label to release it? If so, how long was the wait? (BOT announced by Morrissey back in May I think so we're 7 months in)

I know lots of examples of "lost" albums but those are usually situations where the band isn't happy with the results and so they go and write more and/or re-record. Is there an example where an established artist has a completed album (that they are happy with) but can'f get a label to release it? If so, how long was the wait? (BOT announced by Morrissey back in May I think so we're 7 months in)
It won't be this year by looks - via any 'major label' that is.
The buying-in sheets for said companies are already at the end of December/Jan.
None of the big players are going to completely change their ordering system to accommodate a hurried release.
Self-funded, digital, small imprint etc are options, but that really doesn't fit with the last few decades worth of releases.
I don't totally believe global shortages of anything has impacted fully on music releases this year - my local record shop has offered a huge array of artists & formats throughout the year and taken delivery of said mostly as planned.
Maybe it will become more of an issue next year?
Given they share the album & singles for free on YT these days - a tour would be the moneymaker not physical products (which isn't happening right now).
Considering some of the people involved with the album, I'm surprised nobody has found a solution, but (as with a lot of things) this may just be Morrissey being obstinate more than anything else!?
Regards,
FWD.

When record labels are inundated with artists who are prepared to 'play the game' in terms of advances, promotion, etc, they have no need to sign an artist who steadfastly refuses to play the game.

He doesn't sell enough to warrant the arseache of having to deal with him.

I worry that (as others have mentioned on this thread and elsewhere), it could be the title track that's the obstacle here. Obviously he's written about controversial topics since the first Smiths album but given his comments about the Manchester bombing I can't see the lyrics to any song about it being anything except provocative and likely to cause (rightly or wrongly) all manner of bad press. And as the title track, it would be inescapable.

If he had an album of lyrics like "Once I Saw the River Clean" on the other hand, I could imagine a few labels taking a punt on that...

Back
Top Bottom