Why Morrissey Is Dead To Me, By Gene's Martin Rossiter - The Quietus

Quietus article.

Why Morrissey Is Dead To Me, By Gene's Martin Rossiter - The Quietus

Morrissey was an inspiration to Martin Rossiter, whose band Gene share many fans with the former Smith. But after years of right wing blethering from Moz, Martin has had enough

"I feel ashamed and embarrassed that I quietly remained a Morrissey apologist for many years."

Last edited by a moderator:
We've reached the point in the Morrissey experience when the fans on his most dedicate web-page now resemble the people who ran him off the stage in Finsbury Park because he was the class fairy.

He's finally achieved the validation that eluded him on that day.

Congratulations Moz, you're now one of the guys.

There was a little more to it than that though, wasn't there? Morrissey was in direct conflict with the NME at the time driven, amongst others, by the despicable Seething Wells, who had taken umbrage at The National Front Disco, amongst other things.

I haven't often taken Morrissey's side in recent years, because it is clear to me at least that if he isn't a rather unpleasant individual he does a very good impression of one, but Madstock was down to a section of the Madness fan base as you allude to, coupled with the NME's then determination to get Morrissey at all costs for daring to show the Union flag whilst unfashionable to do so.

The very same flag they adorned their front covers with throughout Britpop. When it was fashionable to do so.

A fun Madstock fact, for younger readers:

"On the 8th of August 1992, the police phoned the British Geological Survey, and they said that people had been phoning in saying that there had been an earthquake in London. They had described some effects like heavy lorries passing outside. People were frightened. Tower blocks were being evacuated because people thought the tower block was going to fall down. It was an intensity of about five. When I told the police that I thought the cause of the disturbance was a Madness concert at Finsbury Park, they didn't believe me at first. I got a phone call the next night from the police who said exactly the same felt effects had occurred - and so they did believe me after all. So my reputation as a seismologist still remains intact!"

- Alice Walker, Seismologist.

A fun Madstock fact, for younger readers:

"On the 8th of August 1992, the police phoned the British Geological Survey, and they said that people had been phoning in saying that there had been an earthquake in London. They had described some effects like heavy lorries passing outside. People were frightened. Tower blocks were being evacuated because people thought the tower block was going to fall down. It was an intensity of about five. When I told the police that I thought the cause of the disturbance was a Madness concert at Finsbury Park, they didn't believe me at first. I got a phone call the next night from the police who said exactly the same felt effects had occurred - and so they did believe me after all. So my reputation as a seismologist still remains intact!"

- Alice Walker, Seismologist.

Morrissey show ... magnitude 5.0 on the Richter scale ! strong vocal chords :)

I had to look her up but she looks like the perfect wife, the type that reads all those women's magazines that tell how to please your man, you know "a maid in the living room, a cook in the kitchen and a whore in the bedroom." And if I started having three drinks at lunch and had an affair with the pool boy she would look the other way.
Top answer and you passed the exam in flying colours!

LOL. Good one. I noticed something ironic about Rossiter's comparison of himself as a "fellow writer" to Moz as a "very capable writer" (actually, Moz is a very artistic writer; remember that Battersea rhymes with fatty.) Rossiter's own writing gets ambiguous in the paragraph where he refers to "a man" and yet he mentions both Moz and Tony Walsh. Newsflash. Moz is not "a man": he's something much bigger and better than a man.

VIVA MOZ!!!!!!!

For Martin to be dead to Morrissey he would have to be alive first.

"The neoliberals did invent a really effective weapon to bully and silence opponents. Political correctness works for several reasons. Calling people the usual epithets—racist, bigot, xenophobe—is about as bad as tagging them as pedophiles. So most people want to avoid being targets." - Marcia Mueller

https://armoryoftherevolution.wordpress.com/2017/03/08/condemning-barbaric-traditions-is-not-racist/

Anyone who dares to say anything against immigration is labled a racist. You all damn well know Morrissey isnt.

eye surgery??

Yes.
Just when the thread started I encountered problems with my eyesight in my left eye. Went to the doctor. After 2 or more consults he found out my retina decided to have his, or her own life without noticing me. I needed chirurgy to have it attached again.
Done this, done that and I am just happy to be able to read the thread again after I found out it was still going on.
I now have a gas bubble in my eye to attach the retina.
It moves around and blurs my eyesight but when all is well it will be vaporized after 7 weeks.
Good times :rolleyes:

Gene should perform "You'll never walk again" in Liverpool and see what happens.

What to say about a large majority of irrelevant, spiteful and non-sensical posts within this thread? Some sensible voices have attempted to request that other articles be posted but no; this thread prevails like an intolerant child. I am utterly saddened that so many have chosen to use a dreadful situation as some kind of petty point scoring. They cannot, they will not be silenced despite the hurt they cause. Morrissey has been extremely foolish about the manner in which he chose to respond to what happened in Manchester but it is nothing to what had appeared on this website. To fans, Morrissey has said nothing new, but I understand why some question the manner and timing of his remarks. Morrissey, by releasing an ill- considered statement, has created this furore - he must take responsibilty for that. Commentators on this site also have responsibility, I believe, to treat the situation in Manchester with the gravity it deserves. If you cannot or will not be respectful of the dead and injured what can you be respectful of?

Oh f*** off with your sanctimonious blather! Was Morrissey 'respectful of the dead' in Oslo? Morrissey is full of shit, always has been but it took a LONG TIME for most of his delusional fans to wake up and smell the coffee. He is a singing troll. Pleasant voice, snarky lyrics but a total f***wit troll.

Violence breeds violence. And compassion towards other human beings starts with what's on the child's dinner plate.

So yes M's Oslo comments though don't understandable to the majority, were pretty accurate, I mean in keeping the comment within the context of his beliefs. But his comments can definitely be seen as 'ill-considered'.

Last edited:
This video doesn't exactly promote tourism does it? I guess she is racist and since she is German then a Nazi too? Since i look a lot like her , there goes my summer European trip but there is no migrant issue so she must be lying..

ph9hppebwo2qbwe.gif

Yes.
Just when the thread started I encountered problems with my eyesight in my left eye. Went to the doctor. After 2 or more consults he found out my retina decided to have his, or her own life without noticing me. I needed chirurgy to have it attached again.
Done this, done that and I am just happy to be able to read the thread again after I found out it was still going on.
I now have a gas bubble in my eye to attach the retina.
It moves around and blurs my eyesight but when all is well it will be vaporized after 7 weeks.
Good times :rolleyes:

Hope you get well very soon Quando. Nice to know everything is ok.

Hope you get well very soon Quando. Nice to know everything is ok.
I can only wish the same!

Reminds me I need to check my eyes since I am after all using lenses but not as often as in the past and I never had any problems. I take vitamin A among other things and that is something the eyes need. Eye sight and the ability to see well in darkness improves dramatically but never take more than 0,8 mg.

I get mine from Germany.

although as someone pointed out morrissey is notoriously anti-free speech (or more accurately anti-criticism of morrissey), and will go to great length to stifle criticism... i actually find it more distasteful that rossiter buys into the whole 'anybody who dares criticism a islam is racist/Islamophobic'.

the whole liberal trend against free speech is troubling. most of morrissey's rants come across as crank-like today, but its more sickening how people seem to think it's the cool thing to do to appear liberal and condemn them as racist etc. he should be able to say whatever the hell he wants without constant knee-jerk reactions. i don't even like what he says, but i like the idea that the free world is built on free speech, unlike islamic countries which liberals tend to defend. rather they should be defending the rights of women. that would be more logical and liberal.

i think largely there is this attitude that religion especially islam must be protected, not so much that it hurts feelings, but more that it cannot stand up to scrutiny. christians also probably realize their faith can't stand up to any criticism or it falls apart... hence this desire to protect that which shouldn't be protected.

if religion causes one fanatic to bomb a bunch of kids, then we need to criticism it and ultimately if we are to continue as a viable 'intelligent' species be rid of all religious nonsense holding us back. how far has science progressed just in the years since the christian enlightenment?

free speech (yes, including morrissey rants) is a part of the reason why.

This video doesn't exactly promote tourism does it? I guess she is racist and since she is German then a Nazi too? Since i look a lot like her , there goes my summer European trip but there is no migrant issue so she must be lying..

She's hot. I guess that makes YOU hot.

Also, I have no clue what she's saying.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom