Will Music ever have a rebel again

In this day & era will music ever have a cutting edge icon the like’s of Sid Vicious again.

I don’t think of Sid as a cutting edge icon. Maybe a minor symbol of rebellion, ‘punk rock’ or something closer to a fashion statement unfortunately.

But I have thought about all the great singers that really brought something new to the table, and have become icons or they were strong individuals/influencers that may not be duplicated in these times.

Some are still alive ... Patti Smith, Morrissey, Dylan ...
Some have gone ...
Bowie, Mark E Smith, Nico, Scott Walker, etc.

put simply, I guess it’s partly time and place from which individuals with a vision (like the ones I mentioned above) can become what they became. But I also think it’s up to the current generation. Do they even want or need that kind of person in their lives to shape their life, their personal world.

And is it a good or bad thing that the current generation or a future generation won’t need to look outside of themselves for that special weirdo to inspire them, guide them?

I mean, there’ll always be pop stars, or celebrity figures, but that’s not what I’m talking about.

Last edited:
I don’t think of Sid as a cutting edge icon. Maybe a minor symbol of rebellion, ‘punk rock’ or something closer to a fashion statement unfortunately.
For once I agree with KS! Sid was not really a rebel, he was just a tragic junkie, who was pushed to an early grave by easy success, adulation and by his own actions. He had no talent and brought nothing of any worth to the table.

Because we all here are getting old, it's easy to think that it's all going to hell, that there are no new heroes and rebels in popular music. The younger generations have their own heroes, which we just don't recognixe, because we're not into hip hop or DJ scene or grime or whatever.

Yep, I too agree with @Ketamine Sun. Sid’s the establishment’s postcard idea of a rebel. I guess young children getting into punk rock sees him as a rebel as well.

As far as living rebels go... Morrissey is an obvious answer. Definitely not because of the music, but because of the lyrics and how he...well, behaves. And is Dylan a rebel in 2021? How so? I adore Willie Nelson, and he sure was a rebel back in the 70’s, but is he a rebel today? I doubt it. And I really doubt that he gives a shit.

For once I agree with KS! Sid was not really a rebel, he was just a tragic junkie, who was pushed to an early grave by easy success, adulation and by his own actions. He had no talent and brought nothing of any worth to the table.

Because we all here are getting old, it's easy to think that it's all going to hell, that there are no new heroes and rebels in popular music. The younger generations have their own heroes, which we just don't recognixe, because we're not into hip hop or DJ scene or grime or whatever.

Yeah, I know it’s easy to read and dismiss my post as just some old fogey saying how great the old days
were, but I don’t actually think it’s all going to hell.

Though, I do believe that even some of the young folks that find inspiration in the Hip Hop DJ or grime genre can see these figures don’t really measure up to the depth, danger or damage of someone like an Iggy, Nico, etc.

It’s not a fair comparison. That’s not to say that current ‘artists’ can’t be important to this or any generation.

But more importantly in my post, I posed the question ‘is it a good or bad thing that the current generation or a future generation won’t need to look outside of themselves for that special weirdo to inspire them, guide them?’

And I’m leaning towards maybe it is a good thing that our current
times have not or can not produce another Dylan, Iggy, Morrissey, etc.
And maybe they don’t need or want that anyway.

Maybe it’s better? healthier? I guess only a older generation may perceive a younger generation as missing out?

At least the recordings will never die, and if one cares enough to, then they will find what they need.

Yeah, I know it’s easy to read and dismiss my post as just some old fogey saying how great the old days
were, but I don’t actually think it’s all going to hell.

Though, I do believe that even some of the young folks that find inspiration in the Hip Hop DJ or grime genre can see these figures don’t really measure up to the depth, danger or damage of someone like an Iggy, Nico, etc.

It’s not a fair comparison. That’s not to say that current ‘artists’ can’t be important to this or any generation.

But more importantly in my post, I posed the question ‘is it a good or bad thing that the current generation or a future generation won’t need to look outside of themselves for that special weirdo to inspire them, guide them?’

And I’m leaning towards maybe it is a good thing that our current
times have not or can not produce another Dylan, Iggy, Morrissey, etc.
And maybe they don’t need or want that anyway.

Maybe it’s better? healthier? I guess only a older generation may perceive a younger generation as missing out?

At least the recordings will never die, and if one cares enough to, then they will find what they need.
I was lucky a friend of an ex boyfriend played a mix tape I was able to discover Morrissey from hearing. What was I hearing, a ghost? I thought surely it couldn't be someone in reality as it was at the time.

As far as living rebels go... Morrissey is an obvious answer. Definitely not because of the music,
Come come nuclear bomb!
but because of the lyrics and how he...well, behaves. And is Dylan a rebel in 2021? How so?

That Christmas record was pretty rebellious. When people expected
another Dylan record. Punk move.
I adore Willie Nelson, and he sure was a rebel back in the 70’s, but is he a rebel today? I doubt it. And I really doubt that he gives a shit.

He doesn’t give a shit, where others would, is rebellious enough.

Anyway, I think it’s fair to look at the art and person that they were rather than what they’ve become, example John Lydon. And even Patti Smith who has still held on to her beatnik look hasn’t done much work that inspires me now, but her
first four records, and for me especially the first two, no young current artist can or has touched or reached the beauty of those masterpieces,

for me. And believe me when I say
my ear and heart is looking.

Come come nuclear bomb!

Anyway, I think it’s fair to look at the art and person that they were rather than what they’ve become, example John Lydon. And even Patti Smith who has still held on to her beatnik look hasn’t done much work that inspires me now, but her
first four records, and for me especially the first two, no young current artist can or has touched or reached the beauty of those masterpieces,

Look here. It's my lyrics and vocals. What do you hear?

Come come nuclear bomb!

Haha, true.

Yeah, you’re probably right about Willie. And I guess you could say once a rebel always a rebel. It’s generous in some cases, but generally fair.

Back
Top Bottom