"World Peace..." enters at #2 in UK album chart

Last edited by a moderator:
The Morrissey apologists are all on twitter claiming Harvest did nothing for promotion. Are they insane?

#2 makes me happy. Not as happy as #1, but happy nonetheless.

First Keane, now Ed Shitstain. Moz gets cockblocked from the #1 spot by some rather crap musicians.

I think #2 is quite good considering the circumstances, even if radio keeps ignoring Morrissey, he can still get a place in the charts.

To use Rafa Benitez style approach

Fact Morrissey is obsessed with chart positions and will be gutted he didn't get to Number One. His post on TTY last week saying where CD was avaiable in UK showed this

Fact Not sure what first week sales were but you can guarantee that it's his staunch and solid fan base that will have bought it . If he released s new album next week or next year he would be guaranteed a similar number of sales

Fact Where he has lost out is the "floating" buyer. YATQ had the biggest promotional push I can recall Jools Holland Jonathan Ross etc... Seeing him on these sort of things would influence the casual purchaser ROTT saw a Channel 4 special YOR saw the live performance on Radio 2
No such thing for WPINOYB No major interviews and just the apology of an NME article

Fact Ed Sheeran plays the game . This is what I posted on another thread a week or so ago

Re Ed Sheeran whether you like him or not he plays the "game "
He's been omnipresent on BBC MTV etc helping to widen his appeal
Moz certainly seems to be going for the less is more re interviews etc

Who can say what is behind his approach to WPINOYB promotion
Not fully recovered from the US tour?
Unhappy with the Twitter debacle

I think the album is a good soild Moz album and great to have new stuff from him

Final fact The album won't get to Number 1 now - October tour or not

To use Rafa Benitez style approach

Fact Morrissey is obsessed with chart positions and will be gutted he didn't get to Number One. His post on TTY last week saying where CD was avaiable in UK showed this

Fact Not sure what first week sales were but you can guarantee that it's his staunch and solid fan base that will have bought it . If he released s new album next week or next year he would be guaranteed a similar number of sales

Fact Where he has lost out is the "floating" buyer. YATQ had the biggest promotional push I can recall Jools Holland Jonathan Ross etc... Seeing him on these sort of things would influence the casual purchaser ROTT saw a Channel 4 special YOR saw the live performance on Radio 2
No such thing for WPINOYB No major interviews and just the apology of an NME article

Fact Ed Sheeran plays the game . This is what I posted on another thread a week or so ago

Re Ed Sheeran whether you like him or not he plays the "game "
He's been omnipresent on BBC MTV etc helping to widen his appeal
Moz certainly seems to be going for the less is more re interviews etc

I think the album is a good soild Moz album and great to have new stuff from him

Final fact The album won't get to Number 1 now - October tour or not

All excellent points. I was in Morecambe today, at one of my very favourite places - The Old Pier Bookshop - it's an absolute gem of a place, ramshackle piles of books piled high in nooks and crannies. Just like a bookshop should be. Anyway, I picked up a copy of the Tony Visconti autobiography - it has a Morrissey foreword - and in that foreword, he mentions Ringleader going to number one...so nothing changes.

tvBDEtg.jpg

P.

Not sure what first week sales were but you can guarantee that it's his staunch and solid fan base that will have bought it.

A possible solid fan base of circa 20,000 in the UK really is quite depressing, if not greatly surprising.

YATQ had the biggest promotional push I can recall Jools Holland Jonathan Ross etc...

It also had two superb lead off singles in Irish Blood, English Heart and First Of The Gang To Die, both vastly superior to anything on World Peace. World Peace is not very likely to attract many new fans, but, alongside his continuing PR issues, might well alienate some of those who have hung on this long.

Depressed most likely. Financially he hopefully doesn't have much to worry about, but from a career perspective it is probably quite hard to get up in the morning at the moment.

Quarry had big promo push - reached #2
World Peace had none to very little - reached #2

Read Into that what you will..

I do blame promotion the general strategy.

The wrong singles were chosen, they werent proper singles and general promotion was just too little too late.

My mate at work is a casual morrissey listener and he didnt even know a new album was being released.

People don’t buy albums like they used to, bottom line.

I was interviewed by Mojo, or Uncut - I forget which, anyway, in the printed issue I made this exact point - that people simply don't buy physical product any more. I was interested to learn that Spotify plays are now going to count to chart outcomes. The industry is in catch-up mode.

P.

I do blame promotion the general strategy.

The wrong singles were chosen, they werent proper singles and general promotion was just too little too late.

My mate at work is a casual morrissey listener and he didnt even know a new album was being released.

They strategy was to release it now, when only one other album (ed sheeran) would prove the only competition. It was a dead cert to reach at least #2 from the outset, not for its quality and booming sales but for the fact its got no other competition, (unless youre counting dolly parton?) If they'd released it any other week of the year, they might have faced stiffer competition on the whole, might not have got nowhere near #2. So great strategy in that respect.

I was interviewed by Mojo, or Uncut - I forget which, anyway, in the printed issue I made this exact point - that people simply don't buy physical product any more. I was interested to learn that Spotify plays are now going to count to chart outcomes. The industry is in catch-up mode.

P.

Really? I had no idea re: Spotify. We should all play the new album on loop on Spotify while we sleep :)

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom