"World Peace Is None of Your Business" Reviews

Imbrie

With under 4 weeks until the (UK) release of WPINOYB, the first reviews of the album are imminent. In fact, I'm surprised that none have appeared yet.

Anyway, perhaps this thread can be used to compile reviews/links to reviews.

Edit: Mojo's August issue, available on June 24th, will carry a review of the album, which I assume will be favourable as the cover boasts it's his best album in 20 years.

Last edited:
My Review Of The New Album

It's slow on first listen. Much slower than any record before. Slow as in tempo I mean. You get the feeling this has too many different influences all fighting with each other. There are more than a few...world music nods. You'll see what I mean.

There aren't a lot of really obvious singles. The lyrics and music are the worst of his career. I really hate to say it. I do. This is not a good album.

Scandinavia sounds exactly like the live version.
I'm Not A Man starts with a minute and a half of street sounds. It starts slow and picks up in the way It's Not Your Birthday Anymore does but is close to eight minutes long.
Staircase At The University is the most upbeat and poppiest thing here. Should've been the first single.
Kiss Me A Lot is pretty bad lyrically. Really.
Smiler With Knife is sparse. Voice and classical guitar mostly.
Kick The Bride Down The Aisle sounds better on record than live because of the orchestration and backing vocals.
Art-hounds you may know. It's upbeat but too long
Neil Cassady Drops Dead is pretty tough sounding. Lyrically it's awful.
Julie In The Weeds is pretty midtempo and boring.

I've only listened to it twice in the last day so maybe it will all change. Doubt it though.

Cue the people wondering if this is real. "Has she really heard it etc etc etc." Yes.

Re: My Review Of The New Album

Forgive Someone, Drag The River, how are those?

I never understood the point of explaining how music sounds to someone who hasn't heard it. It's like describing to a blind man how a skyline looks.

I definitely believe it's more "slow" than the last few albums but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

So, the first Amazon review is in! :lbf: I'm glad you have an early copy.... but c'mon, please at least quote some of those terrible lyrics to make it a little more interesting reading.
Is this 2 out of 5 stars?

I was wondering if there'd be any lyric changes to "Art-hounds" — something about its only live performance (to date) seemed to give that "rough-draft" vibe.

So, the first Amazon review is in! :lbf: I'm glad you have an early copy.... but c'mon, please at least quote some of those terrible lyrics to make it a little more interesting reading.
Is this 2 out of 5 stars?

Here is a bit of the best song on the album I think

Staircase

March April may
She crammed night and day
I hadn't seen her smile in awhile
repeat
Staircase at the university
she threw herself down and her head split three ways
If you don't get three A's, her sweet daddy said
you're no child of mine and as far as I'm concerned your dead
repeat

Here is a bit of the best song on the album I think

Staircase

March April may
She crammed night and day
I hadn't seen her smile in awhile
repeat
Staircase at the university
she threw herself down and her head split three ways
If you don't get three A's, her sweet daddy said
you're no child of mine and as far as I'm concerned your dead
repeat

Sounds sort of like something Neil Hannon would write.

Funny you'd mention Divine Comedy as there is some horn in it

Funny you'd mention Divine Comedy as there is some horn in it

Now he needs to do another album. The last one wasn't bad, the songs just sort of dropped off toward the end of it, though. Always enjoy me some Divine Comedy.

Would you care to elaborate a bit more about the lyrical content of the album? A track-by-track mini-review of how strong the lyrics are?

Fantastic. An anonymous reviewing the album, stating it's not good and lyrically even worse, however failing to even mention Istanbul and Mountjoy which have amazing lyrics ( because this much we know). How surprising.

Thanks for your review, although it kind of goes against everything we've been hearing about the album so far.

I'm curious how you managed to get hold of a deluxe copy of the album. I assumed it was only the 12 track proms which would be in circulation.

thread title is misleading in relation to the contents of the thread.

Thanks for your review, although it kind of goes against everything we've been hearing about the album so far.

I'm curious how you managed to get hold of a deluxe copy of the album. I assumed it was only the 12 track proms which would be in circulation.[

Good point. As I said earlier, Istanbul is his best songs in years and Mountjoy has fantastic lyrics. I also enjoyed the other songs I've listened to, so far. Then you have the reviews and feedback from a few music journals which has been very, very good.

Obviously it's not going to please everyone because music and art are subjective and in Morrissey's case, some people are not going to like it even if was the queen is dead ;). I many times wonder what would happen if Morrissey would come up with "some girls are bigger than others" or "meat is murder" now, in 2014. I bet some people would hate the lyrics, :D :)

It's slow on first listen. Much slower than any record before. Slow as in tempo I mean. You get the feeling this has too many different influences all fighting with each other. There are more than a few...world music nods. You'll see what I mean.

There aren't a lot of really obvious singles. The lyrics and music are the worst of his career. I really hate to say it. I do. This is not a good album.

Scandinavia sounds exactly like the live version.
I'm Not A Man starts with a minute and a half of street sounds. It starts slow and picks up in the way It's Not Your Birthday Anymore does but is close to eight minutes long.
Staircase At The University is the most upbeat and poppiest thing here. Should've been the first single.
Kiss Me A Lot is pretty bad lyrically. Really.
Smiler With Knife is sparse. Voice and classical guitar mostly.
Kick The Bride Down The Aisle sounds better on record than live because of the orchestration and backing vocals.
Art-hounds you may know. It's upbeat but too long
Neil Cassady Drops Dead is pretty tough sounding. Lyrically it's awful.
Julie In The Weeds is pretty midtempo and boring.

I've only listened to it twice in the last day so maybe it will all change. Doubt it though.

Cue the people wondering if this is real. "Has she really heard it etc etc etc." Yes.

This would've been useful and/or worrying if we hadn't already heard 6 of the songs.
We already know that Istanbul is brilliant. We know that Bullfighter is the his best jangly upbeat songs for years. We know that Earth is a cracking piece of music, with some nice simple lyrics even if they cover old ground. We know WP is a bit duff lyrically but pretty good musically.
If there are songs even better than these e.g. Staircase that is v encouraging.

Tags
morrissey new album
Back
Top Bottom