"World Peace..." review (National Review)

Excellent piece by BB.......a very good writer.

Last edited by a moderator:
In a summer of wonders, WPINOYB is the stunner, the climax, the zenith that arrived to spin midsummer, a quantum leap into a new dimension. All the various dramas and foibles that attend it's troubled gestation and birth will be forgotten. "in the interregnum, morbid symptoms appears". There's no doubt now that "Morrissey" has burnt his bridges and also, hilariously, doesn't give a fcuk. After 5 years of fuming, plotting, scheming, he faced yet another Corporate Rock Plot as well as byzantine tour machinations and just said "Fcuk it!"

Other than the unconfirmed claim that "Morrissey" is now a genuine vegan aiming for a PlanetOfPlants dietary harmony, the money shot of this review is in these words:

"a troubled confrontation with everyday hegemony"

Whether or not "Morrissey" collapses and caves in and allows himself to be herded back into the Adult Fake Rebel Yell Rock Radio of Green Day-esque drivel is now irrelevant: he had the bollocks to tear up his own selfie in front of a very public mirror and in doing so, smashed down the wall that was imprisoning him with a dysfunctional coterie of 'fans' who love him only as a reflection of their own memories of fading youth.

There's no money to be made in recorded music and playing live appears to be a total prison bitch situation of travelling 18 hours a day to play to who? You lot? No thanks, would be the rational answer of anyone sane. If his health allows him to decamp to 'developing world' territories to tour this music and build a new Audience, then good luck to him. If he only craves money then writing is probably a better bet, but the novelty of "AutoHagiography" will not be repeated. Nobody reads books nowadays: if books were going to change anything, it would have happened with the printing press, etc. Ditto the gramophone. We're doomed.

If he retires, I hope he finds some kind of peace after turbulent decades wasted chasing the chimera of 'fame'. When he's laid to rest, the consensus will emerge that this record was his defining moment, his absolute rebellion against everything and everyone, including, of course, "Morrissey".

With every good wish
"BrummieBoy"

[swirling in the Black Pool of Dublin
Friday 1st August 2014 CE]

ps: Nobody is 'anonymous' on the internet. I pointed that out with my very first post on this site long ago and far away. Carry on imagining your ravings arent' being monitored by HR, but they are! ....trust me.....they are....

pps: still no sign of "Morrissey" here on the other island.

Dear son,

Very good text.

we'll let you know

In a summer of wonders, WPINOYB is the stunner, the climax, the zenith that arrived to spin midsummer, a quantum leap into a new dimension. All the various dramas and foibles that attend it's troubled gestation and birth will be forgotten. "in the interregnum, morbid symptoms appears". There's no doubt now that "Morrissey" has burnt his bridges and also, hilariously, doesn't give a fcuk. After 5 years of fuming, plotting, scheming, he faced yet another Corporate Rock Plot as well as byzantine tour machinations and just said "Fcuk it!"

Other than the unconfirmed claim that "Morrissey" is now a genuine vegan aiming for a PlanetOfPlants dietary harmony, the money shot of this review is in these words:

"a troubled confrontation with everyday hegemony"

Whether or not "Morrissey" collapses and caves in and allows himself to be herded back into the Adult Fake Rebel Yell Rock Radio of Green Day-esque drivel is now irrelevant: he had the bollocks to tear up his own selfie in front of a very public mirror and in doing so, smashed down the wall that was imprisoning him with a dysfunctional coterie of 'fans' who love him only as a reflection of their own memories of fading youth.

There's no money to be made in recorded music and playing live appears to be a total prison bitch situation of travelling 18 hours a day to play to who? You lot? No thanks, would be the rational answer of anyone sane. If his health allows him to decamp to 'developing world' territories to tour this music and build a new Audience, then good luck to him. If he only craves money then writing is probably a better bet, but the novelty of "AutoHagiography" will not be repeated. Nobody reads books nowadays: if books were going to change anything, it would have happened with the printing press, etc. Ditto the gramophone. We're doomed.

If he retires, I hope he finds some kind of peace after turbulent decades wasted chasing the chimera of 'fame'. When he's laid to rest, the consensus will emerge that this record was his defining moment, his absolute rebellion against everything and everyone, including, of course, "Morrissey".

With every good wish
"BrummieBoy"

[swirling in the Black Pool of Dublin
Friday 1st August 2014 CE]

ps: Nobody is 'anonymous' on the internet. I pointed that out with my very first post on this site long ago and far away. Carry on imagining your ravings arent' being monitored by HR, but they are! ....trust me.....they are....

pps: still no sign of "Morrissey" here on the other island.

What utter bollocks.

Again, I repeat - utter bollocks.

I have WP.

What does 'we'll let you know' mean? You'll let me know what?

Dear little sister,

"I never bought it" - YOUR STATEMENT!

we'll let you know

No, I haven't bought it but I have it.

And you'll let me know what? How strange.

Dear little sister,

So, ("I haven't bought it") it is stolen! And you dare to judge masterpiece! WORLD PEACE IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS.

we'll let you know

Dear little sister,

So, ("I haven't bought it") it is stolen! And you dare to judge masterpiece! WORLD PEACE IS NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS.

we'll let you know

Why are you calling me your little sister? What are you going to let me know? Why the bizarre insertion of the album title in capitals?

Why are you calling me your little sister? What are you going to let me know? Why the bizarre insertion of the album title in capitals?

we'll let you know - (that) you know nothing.

Gosh brummie, I actually like the statements sometimes. But f$&@ man, I have to look up so many words you use to know what you mean.

Gosh brummie, I actually like the statements sometimes. But f$&@ man, I have to look up so many words you use to know what you mean.

Here you go No1uno....The song that Morrissey hates, that's stuck in his head...from Oboe Concerto....from another thread... you asked about this:

Here is my answer....I can't believe that all of those fans on the other thread did not know....

The song is the song of the siren.....the song of death..... If you know Morrissey's catalogue and you don't listen just superficially you'd know it...

We all have this song stuck in our head....everyone of us. The grinning skull is singing in your ear right now but you distract yourself from it.... by doing anything....anything at all but facing it. What does it mean...what does it mean? Morrissey sings in the scathing Art Hounds...

When Morrissey performs and rips his shirt off in concert after giving it everything he has he's saying look at me God or mr. Death....I did all I could as an artist....I don't have anything else....you can take my ass now.

When he talks to the world via his web site he doesn't sign under some fake ass name. When he performs or does an album it's him at his creative best making a statement about the earth and you and me and him......

He's a human being that wants to be heard.....we all want to be heard. But we were all born hysterical and spend our whole life it seems trying to get over it. We do what we can but earth is the cruelest planet that you will never understand....

Death makes life seem like a fraud....and maybe it is. Maybe your life and everything you've accomplished means no more than a dinosaur fart in a windstorm....there's a good chance that that is the truth.

Morrissey sometimes thinks that if people would not kill and eat animals we would stop being such murderous bastards....but he really knows better....that's the reason for the horrifying screams at the end of I"m Not a Man...

This album maybe the best he's every done.....but it definitely won't be the most popular. It's too damned real.....

So get over your selves......Death is waiting. You can run...but you can't hide.... The realization that we are on a spinning planet somewhere in space and all we know for certain is that we die....everyone of us....should make us better people. But the lie will continue.....

the fact that no one here knew the answer to this question proves this is not a fan site.......no ones listening and everyone's lying,

One of the few real fans here on this site that I've seen....is brummieboy.

I think it's high time to admit my unabashed like for Armond White and his reviews. I enjoying seeing things from his perspective and he is often the voice of reason amidst the fanboyism that replaced level-headed and informed film criticism years ago. I know that he had pronounced admiration for Pauline Kael. Him being a fan of Morrissey, as sycophantic as this may come across, just deepens my respect for the man. I am excited to read this. Thanks Chick Pea.

Good to read ol' Armond White. Thoughtful essay, as always.

It has been reported a while back about his book on Morrissey called, "Knee Deep in Great Experiences" being published in the near future. Has anyone seen this book out yet?

Good to read ol' Armond White. Thoughtful essay, as always.

It has been reported a while back about his book on Morrissey called, "Knee Deep in Great Experiences" being published in the near future. Has anyone seen this book out yet?

I don't think it ever materialized, unfortunately.

EDIT: Searching for updated information on the book brought me to Armond White's review of ROTT for Slate, another good read.
http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/music_box/2006/05/the_politics_of_morrissey.html

Last edited:
"Knee Deep in Great Experiences: A Study of Public Enemy & Morrissey" was threatened in 2006. O Why are we waiting? :confused:

I asked Armond White on Twitter a few nights ago if he's still planning the Morrissey book. He said yes.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom