WPINOYB: Is the album growing on you?

The amusing thing for me is how much people liked Years of Refusal when it came out and now it seems to have plummeted in everyone's estimation. There seems to be very little in common that ties this album together. Quarry and Ringleader had themes and a solid foundation in my opinion. Refusal and World Peace are experimental. Alain Whyte is sorely missed. I think the fans on this site are trying very hard to like this, a lot of people seem to be saying it's a grower. It will fade and Quarry will emerge at the top of everyone's list again.

The amusing thing for me is how much people liked Years of Refusal when it came out and now it seems to have plummeted in everyone's estimation. There seems to be very little in common that ties this album together. Quarry and Ringleader had themes and a solid foundation in my opinion. Refusal and World Peace are experimental. Alain Whyte is sorely missed. I think the fans on this site are trying very hard to like this, a lot of people seem to be saying it's a grower. It will fade and Quarry will emerge at the top of everyone's list again.

Quarry is still at the top of mine (as far as post 90’s output) but that doesn’t mean I don’t love the new one!

Refusal and World Peace are experimental.

I agree with you on this one point, and I think it's a large part of why WPINOYB and YOR are my favorite post-'90s albums. I don't want to hear the same things over and over. It's exciting to hear new things happening, and I really do like this lineup. (Without even trying!)

I agree with you on this one point, and I think it's a large part of why WPINOYB and YOR are my favorite post-'90s albums. I don't want to hear the same things over and over. It's exciting to hear new things happening, and I really do like this lineup. (Without even trying!)

Honestly if he put out an album that sounded exactly like “the old stuff” people would still find a way to complain anyway. I like the fact that he’s taken a lot of chances that, to me, he really pulled off!

YOR has not plummeted in everyone's estimation at all. There are plenty here that still like it. Some of us just like, if not love WPINOYB and don't have to try at all.

Blimey!
I've been posting quite a few negative comments about this album over the past week on here - not overly negative or insincere, I hope; just how I actually felt about it - but I gave it a rest for a couple of days and I just played it through again for the first time. My God, it's wonderful! How could I have been so stupid to dismiss it so out of hand???
I hope it lasts, but right now I feel like this is one of his absolute best albums since The Smiths!!! <3

Blimey!
I've been posting quite a few negative comments about this album over the past week on here - not overly negative or insincere, I hope; just how I actually felt about it - but I gave it a rest for a couple of days and I just played it through again for the first time. My God, it's wonderful! How could I have been so stupid to dismiss it so out of hand???
I hope it lasts, but right now I feel like this is one of his absolute best albums since The Smiths!!! <3

Please see a doctor immediately.

Blimey!

Haha.

Oh, it's wonderful and not just in the sense of it being a great, great album but it also makes you realise the vast chasm between being stuck in the past, putting Morrissey into a box of your own making, desperately hoping he goes back to 1987 and opening up to the present and seeing Morrissey's ever-changing creative genius in its true evolving glory.
Certainly, World Peace is None of Your Business is his most ecstatically free and creatively energetic album since The Smiths broke up. It's Morrissey completely unbridled by the past and writing his legacy anew!!!

Oh, it's wonderful and not just in the sense of it being a great, great album but it also makes you realise the vast chasm between being stuck in the past, putting Morrissey into a box of your own making, desperately hoping he goes back to 1987 and opening up to the present and seeing Morrissey's ever-changing creative genius in its true evolving glory.
Certainly, World Peace is None of Your Business is his most ecstatically free and creatively energetic album since The Smiths broke up. It's Morrissey completely unbridled by the past and writing his legacy anew!!!

If Morrissey is 'completely unbridled by the past', why is he still called Morrissey and sings with the same voice and makes albums and has a quiff, and....

Ah f*** it. Yes, you're right, Morrissey is more revolutionary than a spinning wheel on a frictionless surface in a vacuum.

Last edited:

Well said. It's absolutely amazing when you trace the journey of the early insular Morrissey to the incredibly broad worldview expressed with this album. I do wonder if that's what some British fans don't like about it...

I agree.
It's weird, after the period of quiet after Years of Refusal, the world of Moz became dominated by his stupid utterences, gossip and other such trivia.
I began to forget why I liked him in the first place.
And then we get Autobiography and the new album.
Both wonderful and crafted.
This is what he is about, not the nastiness, rascist remarks and UKIP support.

sniff sniff, marred will you f*** off, can smell u anywhere

I agree.
It's weird, after the period of quiet after Years of Refusal, the world of Moz became dominated by his stupid utterences, gossip and other such trivia.
I began to forget why I liked him in the first place.
And then we get Autobiography and the new album.
Both wonderful and crafted.
This is what he is about, not the nastiness, rascist remarks and UKIP support.

I'm glad you like it, Peterb. I honestly think it's a remarkable record and the Morrissey fans I have spoken to in real life think the same.

Well said. It's absolutely amazing when you trace the journey of the early insular Morrissey to the incredibly broad worldview expressed with this album. I do wonder if that's what some British fans don't like about it...

i dont like it coz its shit.

You saying its only british fans that dont like it?

I can't stop listening to it now. It's getting better and better with every listen. I haven't felt this personally affected by a Morrissey album since the '90s, honestly.
If anyone is not really feeling it at first I would suggest giving it a rest for a couple of days and listening to it again with refreshed ears. It's just completely opened up, for me...! :)

Back
Top Bottom