XFM 25: The Queen is Dead (June 26)

This Sunday XFM (a London/Manchester radio station) is celebrating The Queen is Dead as part of it's '25' series.

This month on Xfm 25 - our look back at albums turning 25 this year – we celebrate one the most influential records of the 1980s – The Queen Is Dead by The Smiths. Much loved by fans for featuring There Is A Light That Never Goes Out and now regarded as arguably their greatest work.

Ian Camfield explores the making of this landmark album and the legacy it has left behind. The Queen Is Dead will then be played in full at the end of the documentary. Contributors include guitarist Johnny Marr, engineer Stephen Street, Brett Anderson, Billy Bragg, Mani, Guy Garvey and Clint Boon.

Xfm 25 airs Sunday June 26 from 10pm.

http://www.xfm.co.uk/onair/shows/xfm-25-the-queen-is-dead-by-the-smiths

Having not listened to previous programmes in this series I am not sure what to expect, but it should be interesting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy Shite.
I just got back from a mates house who PLAYED me the scuppered second disc from the 20th Anniv. edition of TQID that Marr quashed. I just about shat myself when he showed it to me. Except for the b-sides , I had never heard any of these . No, he wouldn't let me copy it but he did let me write the tracks down.
He told me he got it from someone who had been sacked at the Warners offices in Kensington and they had fished it from a bin in 2006!

NINETEEN Tracks!

The Queen is Dead - demo version
Frankly Mr Shankly - demo
I Know it Over - demo
Never Had no One Ever - demo
Cemetary Gates - Demo
Bigmouth Strikes Again- Demo
Unloveable - demo
Some Girls are Bigger than Others - demo
Vicar in a Tutu - demo
Boy With a Thorn in his Side - demo mix
Girlfriend in a Coma - demo (reggae)