"X's comeback and Morrissey's fall when do we let musicians off the hook for thinking bad thoughts" by Stephen Thomas Erlewine

Here's a thoughtful, although for me almost entirely wrong, attempt to look at pop artists and how we judge their work in light of their "views" - using Morrissey and X as case studies.

https://sterlewine.substack.com/p/xs-comeback-and-morrisseys-fall

This section, for example, I genuinely don't even begin to recognise Erlewine's reaction to the songs:

Once a lyricist of extraordinary empathy, Morrissey has let his compassion curdle to the point that he's encouraging suicidal souls to just kill themselves at Jim Jim Falls. It's a nasty note to begin an album and it reverberates through the record, turning the superficially heartfelt "Love Is On Its Way Out" and "Bobby, Don't You Think You Know" in hectoring little numbers. The hardness of spirit proves to be a compelling counterpoint to the liveliness of the music, amounting to the debut of a new variation of Morrissey's persona.

But hey, we're all entitled to our own interpretations of these songs.

How many of you guys commenting on Boz's abilities are professional musicians yourselves, by the way? I am and cannot believe anyone who has any experience as a professional musician could consider Boz merely a "strummer" or someone who doesn't contribute anything outstanding - Boz is fantastic and while not a virtuoso (MOST aren't!), he is truly top drawer.

I interpreted that "Boz is a strummer" remark as a joke. I am not a musician, but I know that Boz has co-composed fantastic songs like Jack The Ripper, The More You Ignore Me, Now My Heart Is Full and Madadjusted, and many other enjoyable tunes.

Tags
i am not a dog on a chain info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom