Years of Refusal is utterly mediocre

Re: Let's all calm down, and be honest.....

I listened to it once and was not impressed. I will listen to it a few more times and see if it grows on me.

I listened to it once and was not impressed. I will listen to it a few more times and see if it grows on me.

I don't think I've even listened to an album once and been impressed right off.

Oh, I have. Peter Heppner's new album, for example. I heard the opening track and new it would be brilliant, and it was.

The first time I heard Maladjusted, I was blown away, same for Viva hate, Your Arsenal, Vauxhal etc.

This one... not so much. It may grow on me in time, it may not. Hence why I've decided to give it a few more listens atleast to decide.

It's a tremendous album. I think the fact that we have already got so used to All you need is me and That's how people has disappointed a few. Morrissey on his own has such a strong body of work, never mind the Smiths, that it is easy to pick holes but for me it is up there with Quarry, Vauxhall, Arsenal etc. We are all getting older, as Moz is, and maybe some negativity is part of the cynicism that people develop as they age. My opinion is lighten up and enjoy him while you can. Bring it on Mozzer!

With most other artists I can listen once and form an accurate opinion.

Morrissey is different. You can't judge his work after one listen.

This is what worries me about some Morrissey fans: they miss out on such great music because they won't buy into anything else :tears:

Morrissey is my favourite artist without a doubt, but there's loads of good stuff out there too.

I agree but seems like plenty here judge after one listen.

I hereby retract all negative comments I've made regarding YOR

It's not too bad, really.

:rolleyes:

I thought this thread needed resurrection. I really don't want to be a killjoy and post how average I find this album on the "YOR is Utterly Brilliant" thread. This way those who think this uberwork of Morrissey's can have their thread, and people grounded in reality can have their own.:)

Sigh... Everyone happy now?:):crazy:

Last edited:
Granted I've only had the record for a little more than 24 hours...I'm finding it just okay (you might even say mediocre :p) so far. I've skipped the tracks that I know, Skull, Mama, Paris, AYNIM, THPGU, and Farewell to get a flavor of the 'new' ones...but will add that I really do love Mama and AYNIM. :) I almost wish I hadn't heard the other tracks already, I'd think I'd like it better as a whole.

Of the new tunes, Carol is easily my favorite followed by It's Not Your Birthday Anymore. Black Cloud is pretty good too even tho it just. seems to. end. I think the 'torch song', You Were Good in Your Time while slow, will grow on me. I haven't decided if I like the voices throughout and eerie notes tacked on the end of it yet... I'm OK By Myself will probably/eventually get under my skin, but Sorry Doesn't Help is just blah... melody seems all over the place and too much yodeling (or whatever we're calling it--it appears often YoR) I'd rather he add more lyrics than rely on the oh whoa ho... or nooo nooo noooos... y'know? ;) but that's another thread...

I obviously need to give it more time to form a full opinion but right off...meh. So sue me.

I think it's his worst too. Lots of people think it's either Kill Uncle or Maladjusted, but they both have some gems, as it's been pointed out. This one has nothing really. The only song I can enjoy is Mama, but the lyrics are so mediocre and it's a shame. When he writes good lyrics the music happens to be shit or the other way round. This one, to me, looks like a bad rework or Your Arsenal (the album I like the least)

Are you people actually Morrissey fans? Or do you just pretend to - to try to impress peoples? Do you possess brains of your own? Are your ears working properly? Or are you mentally injured?

Are you people actually Morrissey fans? Or do you just pretend to - to try to impress peoples? Do you possess brains of your own? Are your ears working properly? Or are you mentally injured?

So, to be a fan a must blindingly love everything Morrissey does? I am a Morrissey fan who is intensely disappointed with his new album. It has a few moments, but by-in-large I don't care for it. I'm not sure why that makes me a villain, as it seems many here disliked YATQ and ROTT both of which I thought were very enjoyable albums?

So, to be a fan a must blindingly love everything Morrissey does? I am a Morrissey fan who is intensely disappointed with his new album. It has a few moments, but by-in-large I don't care for it. I'm not sure why that makes me a villain, as it seems many here disliked YATQ and ROTT both of which I thought were very enjoyable albums?

I think of recent albums YATQ and ROTT are the closest I got to the charm i found when I first listened to the Smiths' debut.

Tags
blind worship emma = yoda emma álainn :) emma is suspect emma purrrs emma rules! hitlercat! ilovemma respect the comtesse whaaa whaaa whaaa
Back
Top Bottom