Morrissey Central "YOU MUST PLEASE REMEMBER" (March 3, 2021)

Nick Kent is on another thread saying he doesn't like Moz's politics - none of them know his politics. There isn't a single accurate/insightful article about it. Not one. 🙄
My advice (seriously) would be to write to John Robb at Louder than War and offer to do an article based on your thread here: I reckon (given that he’s kind of sympathetic) he’d agree.

Nick Kent is on another thread saying he doesn't like Moz's politics - none of them know his politics. There isn't a single accurate/insightful article about it. Not one. 🙄
Is Nick Kent a British Rock critic and a musician?

Did Nick Kent used to be a fan of Morrissey?

Is Nick Kent a British Rock critic and a musician?

Did Nick Kent used to be a fan of Morrissey?

Yes.

Yes - but he wouldn't call it being a fan. He appreciated his art. They fell out because Moz is sensitive & Nick has a particular vision of rock cool.

My advice (seriously) would be to write to John Robb at Louder than War and offer to do an article based on your thread here: I reckon (given that he’s kind of sympathetic) he’d agree.

Yeah, I'm staking out the territory.

I have 2 worries - that I annoy someone key who goes on the offensive.

That Team/Moz feels maligned (by me) & goes on the offensive in ways that don't work out well.

I'd be less cautious if I didn't care. 🙄

Yeah, I'm staking out the territory.

I have 2 worries - that I annoy someone key who goes on the offensive.

That Team/Moz feels maligned (by me) & goes on the offensive in ways that don't work out well.

I'd be less cautious if I didn't care. 🙄
Yes. I think that’s probably a given. Consider that your service is to British culture, and fair play, rather than Morrissey and/or his team? You’ll be frozen forever if you try to anticipate the thoughts of the latter.

I remember Tony Parsons doing an article defending Morrissey in Vox c.1992. It proved a really good read.

Yes. I think that’s probably a given. Consider that your service is to British culture, and fair play, rather than Morrissey and/or his team? You’ll be frozen forever if you try to anticipate the thoughts of the latter.

Yeah, I assume he'd hate my guts - it's an absolute nerve trying to reverse ferret him without even asking.

But needs must - some people were going in for the kill & now I can see doubt is creeping in.

It's him or his team getting so irked they say or do something that makes his situation EVEN worse that bothers me.

It's at a delicate stage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I assume he'd hate my guts - it's an absolute nerve trying to reverse ferret him without even asking.

But needs must - some people were going in for kill & now I can see doubt is creeping in.

It's him or his team getting so irked they say or do something that makes his situation EVEN worse that bothers me.

It's at a delicate stage.

I'd say that depends on your line of argument but you're probably right either way.

I don't think John Robb is a fan of Morrissey judging by the things he says about him.

Maybe John Robb was a Morrissey fan in days gone by but not anymore.

I don't think John Robb is a fan of Morrissey judging by the things he says about him.

Maybe John Robb was a Morrissey fan in days gone by but not anymore.
It’s some years since I spoke to him. Nothing that’s happened recently would’ve changed Robb’s opinion about Morrissey; he always felt he was a ‘little Englander’. Robb was a massive fan of The Clash, so this patriotism is obviously going to be problematic for him.

Nevertheless, Robb has also shared a related admiration of Morrissey’s fierce independence—and this transcends any politics.

Robb is also genuinely open to debate and discussion about all aspects of music, and he’s incredibly informed: we once held a conversation about Stewart Home based on the latter’s love of the Suedehead novel. This openness extends to Louder than War, from what I’ve seen.

So, I think he’d be interested in Nerak’s take on Morrissey’s career—if only for the sake of fairness and balance. And flogging a few more copies of ‘his’ magazine.

It’s some years since I spoke to him. Nothing that’s happened recently would’ve changed Robb’s opinion about Morrissey; he always felt he was a ‘little Englander’. Robb was a massive fan of The Clash, so this patriotism is obviously going to be problematic for him.

Nevertheless, Robb has also shared a related admiration of Morrissey’s fierce independence—and this transcends any politics.

Robb is also genuinely open to debate and discussion about all aspects of music, and he’s incredibly informed: we once held a conversation about Stewart Home based on the latter’s love of the Suedehead novel. This openness extends to Louder than War, from what I’ve seen.

So, I think he’d be interested in Nerak’s take on Morrissey’s career—if only for the sake of fairness and balance. And flogging a few more copies of ‘his’ magazine.

He seems open minded.

I'd argue they've misunderstood - that Moz being clingy about England is because he has an insecure immigrant background (on top of other identity problems) & that lots of diasporas struggle with these feelings. For example:

20210220_220159.jpg

The shipwreck imagery reminded me of this:
20210304_190302.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Have you read John Robb's open letter to Morrissey? It is a very long letter but I might be able to copy it or send a link to it on John Robb's website Louder Than War.com

The feeling I got from John Robb was he was a fan of The Smiths and he is still a Johnny Marr fan. John Robb's open letter to Morrissey reminded me of the sort of things that Billy Bragg says.

Have you read John Robb's open letter to Morrissey? It is a very long letter but I might be able to copy it or send a link to it on John Robb's website Louder Than War.com

The feeling I got from John Robb was he was a fan of The Smiths and he is still a Johnny Marr fan. John Robb's open letter to Morrissey reminded me of the sort of things that Billy Bragg says.

I think we've all mostly seen it.

It was written in the middle of a press/Twitter monstering.

He's not got a history of hating him - Bragg does - & he's not been bitchy.

I think we've all mostly seen it.

It was written in the middle of a press/Twitter monstering.

He's not got a history of hating him - Bragg does - & he's not been bitchy.
What I meant was John Robb and Billy Bragg both claim to be fans of The Smiths and are supportive of Johnny Marr (his music and his politics) and the other former members of The Smiths apart from Morrissey. They both get very emotional in the way they write they feel that Morrissey has let them down in some way.

You are right though that Billy Bragg has a more nasty edge to what he says about Morrissey which makes him come across as being jealous. Billy Bragg also makes so-called 'jokes' at Morrissey's expense as well.

What a gorgeous video and song.
It's possibly my favourite Moz video. He looks fantastic in it. 1. Ignore Me 2. November, 3. Suedehead, 4. My Love Life, 5. Tomorrow. I bet I'm forgetting a great solo video there! He looks top in Glamorous Glue and Irish Blood.

What I meant was John Robb and Billy Bragg both claim to be fans of The Smiths and are supportive of Johnny Marr (his music and his politics) and the other former members of The Smiths apart from Morrissey. They both get very emotional in the way they write they feel that Morrissey has let them down in some way.

You are right though that Billy Bragg has a more nasty edge to what he says about Morrissey which makes him come across as being jealous. Billy Bragg also makes so-called 'jokes' at Morrissey's expense as well.

They're supportive of 'showbiz politics'.

Get them into a real debate about any of the thorny subjects & see how that goes.

It’s called towing the party line—albeit in the most contrite way he can.
kermodes a wank,terrible film critic,no matter what hes reviewing it always gets back to the excorcist which he has seen over 200 times,isnt even the best horror ever made,for me that is the omen.

kermodes a wank,terrible film critic,no matter what hes reviewing it always gets back to the excorcist which he has seen over 200 times,isnt even the best horror ever made,for me that is the omen.
Yes, he’s been talking about The Exorcist for 30 years.

My shouts for best horror are Day of the Dead, Carnival of Souls, Suspiria, Night of the Demon and Frankenstein must be Destroyed.

Yes, he’s been talking about The Exorcist for 30 years.

My shouts for best horror are Day of the Dead, Carnival of Souls, Suspiria, Night of the Demon and Frankenstein must be Destroyed.
yip some good ones there hovis,suspiria is a classic and yet a lot of people just dont get it.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom