20th anniversary of Wolverhampton gig

Kewpie

Subscriber
22nd December 1988 was the first gig of Morrissey without Johnny Marr.

I found out about the gig less than 24 hours before when I arrived in Edinburgh from Dundee.
(All the victims of Lockerbie disaster RIP).

I wish I arrived in Wolverhampton an hour earlier. :(

Last edited:
22nd December 1988 was the first gig of Morrissey without Johnny Marr.

I found out about the gig less than 24 hours before when I arrived in Edinburgh from Dundee.
(All the victims of Lockerbie disaster RIP).

I wish I arrived in Wolverhampton an hour earlier. :(

I turned down a lift to Wolverhampton, and opted to do what I did every Thursday night and go to the Hacienda. I decided it was a waste of time and would end up in dissapointment. Later (past midnight some time) I got a tap on the shoulder and my mates were back. They had jumped the queue, got in and still managed to get back for a drink. However, I had a really good night anyway. I also gave up smoking that day.

I turned down a lift to Wolverhampton, and opted to do what I did every Thursday night and go to the Hacienda. I decided it was a waste of time and would end up in dissapointment. Later (past midnight some time) I got a tap on the shoulder and my mates were back. They had jumped the queue, got in and still managed to get back for a drink. However, I had a really good night anyway. I also gave up smoking that day.

Your mates were really horrible.

I went by myself, didn't think about jump the queue.

Your mates were really horrible.

I went by myself, didn't think about jump the queue.

I say "mates" because I have friends. They were people I was studying with at the time, who offered me a lift. I spent the evening with my friends instead.

I was a very shy young man at the time. I would never have had the nerve to jump the queue!

I was 8 years old and walked past the civic with my dad. I asked what all the people were doing there with their hair and glasses. I was taken home (after buying my mother's xmas tapestry needles) and given a lesson in Smiths lore and the rest as they say...is history.

Incidentally, we haven't been allowed any decent gigs since in Wolverhampton. We're not to be trusted.

I so wish I would have been there and more yet that this entire Live Performance would have included on "Hulmerist", maybe one day, :guitar:

BTW, did anyone else here manage to get/find a bootleg copy of this on vinyl?

I did and it come from Italy all of places. It was released by some record company called El Topo and it includes the songs:

Intro
Stop me if you think you've heard this one before
Disappointed
Interesting Drub
Suedehead
Last of the famous internatinal playboys
Sister I'm a poet
Death at one's elbows
Sweet and tender hooligan

Wolverhampton Civiv Hall
December 22, 1988

The album is titled "Morrissey: Untitled" and it features a brown, front sleeve with a Moz picture with his arms crossed, very Oscar Wilde-esque, and a picture of James Dean and Oscar Wild and a second Moz pictured riding a car adjusting his glasses. the LP has the words "El Topo 1 A and 1 B" to differ both sides, hand written.

El Topo - Finito di stampare nel mese di gennaio 1988 da Nava Milano S.p.A Via Martin Lutero, 5 20126 Milano

I found this item at thrift record store in 1988, I've not played it in years.

I wonder if there is a decent quality bootleg or recording of the gig out there somewhere?....

The only copy i have ever heard is one with some fella who sounds like an aeroplane yelling before and after every song..

"YeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.....................YES!"

Back
Top Bottom