All this talk about "the" covers album?

There's all sorts of tricks to fulfilling contracts with minimal effort if you're coming to an end with the company. You don't fulfill your end, you get sued.
Nobody says you have to release something good, or original, though I am interested in hearing what covers he will choose.

I said Neil Diamondesque, because going a covers route is kind of a dad/grandpa music way of going about it. Also, if people are at a point where they
like your voice, but not necessarily the songs you're coming up with, you go with covers. Maybe they'll still like your voice doing other people's songs.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJNbijG2M7Oz_dbNuNk_VU7xNoEsiR4Y7
God, that's awful. He's murdered two of my favourite Randy Newman songs. Mind you, I've hated Neil Diamond ever since Sweet Caroline for reasons very particular to me, so I've borne a grudge for a long time.

Even if it is a 'revenge album', I really hope Morrissey's still got enough self-respect to do better than that.

Prediction

-Album will consist of 12 cover songs
-Will release late 2018 or Q1 2019
-3 Singles (Chain Gang, Im in the mood for dancing,Subway train)
-Will tour UK and Europe early 2019
-Will possibly say more controversial things to promote the new album

God, that's awful. He's murdered two of my favourite Randy Newman songs. Mind you, I've hated Neil Diamond ever since Sweet Caroline for reasons very particular to me, so I've borne a grudge for a long time.

Even if it is a 'revenge album', I really hope Morrissey's still got enough self-respect to do better than that.
There's only one Numan, and his name isn't Randy "Marble-mouth" Newman. :D

I wouldn't think it's a revenge album so much as just fulfilling the obligation as quickly and un-messily as possible, given his history and the fact
that I'm sure that history has made plenty of the money people inform him up front that if he stiffs them, he'll pay.

Good point.
Add this to the list of things artists can do if near the end of contract. That said, if Morrissey is aware that he is persona non grata with his record label, why would he (given previous history) even try to do anything remotely innovative (in the context of him changing his album releases).
BMG should have kept the Twitter account as a portal to advertise and not let it go so easily - their main 'portal' does him no justice currently. If they are 'embarrassed' by Moz & his recent proclamations, it isn't professional to live that out on promotion for his work. There will be zero in his record contract that says: 'if you mention Waters, we won't make punters aware there's a new single out' - which is basically my point: BMG could do more (and do for some artists).
Regards,
FWD.
It's not just him. There's no real push for any older artist anymore, and the fact that they did so much for LIHS was fairly surprising to me.
I think the choice of doing covers is a self aware move on his part, and while I don't doubt there will be some politically relevant choices in the mix, it does seem a bit like he is registering that the majority of the end of 2017 and most of 2018 was a PR disaster for him, and the cancellation/low sales seems to have possibly made him aware that he's done a bit of damage. I always root for the guy deep down, like the ex you couldn't stay with but you wish well anyway.

There's only one Numan, and his name isn't Randy "Marble-mouth" Newman. :D

I wouldn't think it's a revenge album so much as just fulfilling the obligation as quickly and un-messily as possible, given his history and the fact
that I'm sure that history has made plenty of the money people inform him up front that if he stiffs them, he'll pay.
Marble-mouth?! :eek: That's a bit harsh. If you're going to get all competitive about Newmans/Numans I feel I should bring Gary's nasal whine to your attention :)

Why do you think he would be trying to fulfil his obligation as quickly as possible? Are you thinking he's fallen out with BMG?

Marble-mouth?! :eek: That's a bit harsh. If you're going to get all competitive about Newmans/Numans I feel I should bring Gary's nasal whine to your attention :)

Why do you think he would be trying to fulfil his obligation as quickly as possible? Are you thinking he's fallen out with BMG?
Gary Numan is a singing robot from the future. Randy Newman is like a Piano playing Bob Dylan with cerebral palsy! I just can't.

I think that it comes down to money, as it always does. They invested and likely did not recoup, so going the safe way with a curio like a covers album
is a good strategy for getting their money back. I also think that BMG likely viewed him as a risky investment going in, and I can't see any conceivable reality where they weren't beyond irritated at the way he flubbed the landing as hard as he did with LIHS.

Just a small point of order as we debate:
Could anyone please direct me to anywhere Morrissey was shown to be signed for a 2 record deal with BMG.
I think this is one of those instances where someone here made a 'definitive' statement about the issue and was believed regardless of any facts (deluxe edition comes to mind here too). I sift through a lot of this stuff weekly and have never found anything other than Korda saying:

"Q. What else does his partnership with BMG cover?

A. We have also signed the publishing going forward as well [worldwide for future releases]. It’s a long-term relationship."

If anyone has anything more solid to refer to, please enlighten me. Obviously, more than a 2 album contract might explain things differently.
Thanks,
FWD.

Could anyone please direct me to anywhere Morrissey was shown to be signed for a 2 record deal with BMG.
I think this is one of those instances where someone here made a 'definitive' statement about the issue and was believed regardless of any facts (deluxe edition comes to mind here too). I sift through a lot of this stuff weekly and have never found anything other than Korda saying:

A. We have also signed the publishing going forward as well [worldwide for future releases]. It’s a long-term relationship."

If anyone has anything more solid to refer to, please enlighten me. Obviously, more than a 2 album contract might explain things differently.
Thanks,
FWD.
I think you may be right, FWD. I do remember someone (can't remember who) confidently claiming it was a 2 record deal and thinking, I wonder how they know that? And since then it's come to be accepted as fact. Maybe it's as simple as that.

I don’t know if the covers album is as strategic a move as people are making it out to be. He seemed to catch the cover bug on tour before any of the big media controversy started and to me just seems to be running with it

Thanks,
FWD.
I don't have facts, as usual, speculation is the name of the game. It's not common to sign for more than two or three for anyone. I didn't mean to make any kind of definitive statement since my name isn't Peter Katpiss, but it would be unusual for an artist of his advanced age and position to get a four album, or even more unlikely, an open ended deal without clear stipulations.

But has it been stated anywhere that Morrissey is unhappy with BMG? He would be insane to try to wriggle out of that contract, since the chances of him getting another deal from a major company (and he has no time for the independent labels) are practically zilch.

Just because a handful of people have opinions about Morrisseys opinions and views, doesn't mean BMG
has interpreted what he has said recently in the same way.
And I'm sure they did their homework before signing him, and knowing that he has said 'controversial' things in the past and will most likely do it again, well, they may even see it as an asset.

Anyways.....

CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS COVERS RECORD !!!

:D:rock:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom