"By Grand Central Station I Sat Down & Wept"

I have also read the book, it is absulutely wonderful. If you can find the binding with "Of Rogues & Rascals" included, it contains some great quotes as well, although they are not related to Smiths material...OR&R is considered to be a sort of sequel to "By Grand Central Station..."

Both books are really touching in their personal honesty, and the authors sometimes sarcastic tone can be quite amusing when it isn't heartbreaking. The writing itself is quite beautiful, and while it is difficult to understand at times, does make re-reading more enjoyable.

good luck

What? Someone who actually knows who Violet Trefusis was? Hurrah, there is hope for the world yet. ( she was Vita Sackville West's lover, I believe?)I will look for, " Of Rogues & Rascals"- definitely.

Last edited:
What? Someone who actually knows who Violet Trefusis was? Hurrah, there is hope for the world yet. ( she was Vita Sackville West's lover, I believe?)

Hell Yes!

"Mrs. Keppel's Daughter" by Diana Souhami was absolutely wonderful, it was how I was introduced to her and the whole messy situation. Great book, highly recommended. Souhami is very funny.

And yes, she was Sackville-West's lover, and she was also the daughter of Mrs. Keppel, who was the mistress of Edward VII.

I bought this book long before I knew Moz liked it, based on the title and cover art alone. My copy has an image of an angel statue on the cover, which caught my eye. I read the first sentence and I was hooked.

I plunged right in and all of a sudden all these lyrics began sprouting out of the page. I got all tingly....and I thought, I bet Morrissey has read this.

This was well over 10 years ago, and I had just started to look for web sites about Moz on the Internet. I found one that had a list of literary references in his songs (I cannot for the life of me remember which site it was, or if its still around). I didn't see Elizabeth Smart mentioned anywhere, so I compiled my list of quotes and song lyrics and sent the webmaster an e-mail. He hadn't heard of the book before and he sent me a thank you and posted all my references, and I thought that was really really cool.

Mind you, I'm sure Morrissey had mentioned the book before in interviews, or someone else had noticed it before me, but I never knew til I read it and it was like a special discovery....

Anyway, I personally love the book.

But I love things that are done on a grand and dramatic scale. It's biblical in proportion, yeah, you could say its too much, but for me it isn't. I like the passion, the murky depths of it. It's one long passionate dirge. And never dull.

I've read it many times, and I always pick new things out of it to love.

I say get it :)

I'm guessing the site is most likely - http://www.compsoc.man.ac.uk/~moz/nicked.htm

Very good for everything pre Quarry years.

Elizabeth Smart's Diaries are also a very good read.

Oooh, something else to add to the Amazon wishlist.
(I, too, turn to Amazon when I'm feeling down).
Do you the title of the Diaries? I'm just pulling up books about that abducted girl named Elizabeth Smart.

I just ordered the new David Sedaris. Can't wait.

Hell Yes!

"Mrs. Keppel's Daughter" by Diana Souhami was absolutely wonderful, it was how I was introduced to her and the whole messy situation. Great book, highly recommended. Souhami is very funny.

And yes, she was Sackville-West's lover, and she was also the daughter of Mrs. Keppel, who was the mistress of Edward VII.

Yes, I know of Violet. :)
Kate, you smarty pants :p

Do you the title of the Diaries? I'm just pulling up books about that abducted girl named Elizabeth Smart.

Oh!!! You will LOVE the new Sedaris. ("Being Engulfed By Flames") I was out in the living room on the sofa cracking up. It's almost as funny as, "Me Talk Pretty One Day" Worth every penny. Re: Elizabeth Smart- there was some sort of investigative program on last week about her, and I'm not sure if I'd want to read about her kidnapping. (shudder)

Elizabeth Smart's Diaries are also a very good read.
My total in my cart is already up to over $200- I've got to omit some things. :( The problem is, I want to read everything! Diaries! I love diaries. I've got all of Virginia Woolf's diaries and I honestly think they are better than her works. (Though who can resist A Room Of One's Own"?

Last edited:
Hell Yes!

I have it! Very very funny! LOL, messy situation indeed. Violet looked like a little doll.

I read A Taste Of Honey a few days ago and highlighed all of the Smiths influenced quotes. though I don't think the library would like me very much if they noticed. :p

At the moment the only thing I can see going for it is that it's short.

Seems to be mainly popular amongst the Americans. No offence but that's a different language.

Back
Top Bottom