Check out this description of Morrissey in an article on the so-called "reunion"

• Thread starter The Seeker of Good Songs
  • Start date
T

The Seeker of Good Songs

from: http://www.hecklerspray.com/hecklerspray/2005/12/the_smiths_to_r.html

Well, The Smiths are kind of reforming, anyway.
Two members of the seminal Manchester pop band have announced that they will be teaming up for the first time since The Smiths split in 1987.

Disappointingly, the reunion won't be involving crazy-quiffed yelping Smiths frontman Morrissey. The long-awaited get-together will instead feature bassist Andy Rourke and legendary guitarist Johnny Marr - a man whose fingers are so dexterous he reminds hecklerspray of that strange stretchy monster-bloke in an early episode of The X-Files.

In a good way.

Former Smiths (CDs) Marr and Rourke will be leaping onto the same stage - in a context yet to be revealed - during the Manchester Vs. Cancer benefit gig, taking place in the northern province itself on January 28th next year.

Speaking about the event, thoroughly nice chap (a description not often dished out by this website) Marr said:

"Andy told me about this project he was involved in and of course I literally stood up and applauded. I said I'd get involved if he needed any help. Absolutely glad to do it. It's a privilege to do it. It's not the easiest thing in the world to get something like this together, because it has to be on a fairly big scale for it to be significant."

The Smiths have certainly been going through an odd resurgence of late. Earlier in the year, ex-drummer Mike Joyce attempted the somewhat cheeky manoeuvre of putting up previously unreleased Smiths material on eBay ... which Morrissey responded to by posting a scathing response on a fan site.

Indeed, the most interesting thing about the upcoming Manchester gig is that Mozza himself is rumoured to "be involved" in some way. Could this be hinting at a special on-stage surprise come the evening itself? hecklerspray really wouldn't like to say.

We would like, however, to place one request. If a band is set to reform, would it be possible for another band to take it upon themselves to level out the karmic balance of things and split up immediately?

Yes, Arctic Monkeys. We're talking to you...

eBay goodies? The Smiths? We're on it

[story by C J Davies]

Back
Top Bottom