Do you share Morrissey’s taste in music?

Love the man and HIS OWN music but 90% of the music Moz likes is pure sh*t :cool:

I am a believer that Patti Smith is perhaps the most overrated person in music history 'aside from jim morrison'

I am a believer that Patti Smith is perhaps the most overrated person in music history 'aside from jim morrison'

Patti Smith is one of the very few in the other 10% of music Moz likes that isn't sh*t....

Love Patti, Agree on Jim.....most overrated ever BONO/U2

The thing about Patti Smith is, yes, a lot of her stuff sounds crappy now. I like Patti Smith and I can't listen to half her songs. But consistently, from band to band, artist to artist, almost every one of the groups I like have stated that she was an influence. That's impressive. She deserves her reputation, especially now that she's started showering again.

The thing about Patti Smith is, yes, a lot of her stuff sounds crappy now. I like Patti Smith and I can't listen to half her songs. But consistently, from band to band, artist to artist, almost every one of the groups I like have stated that she was an influence. That's impressive. She deserves her reputation, especially now that she's started showering again.

Pure Evil :D

I loved reading his "Under the Influence" liner notes (except the part where he compared women to disease-carrying rats) and related very much to his passionate, lifelong obsession with music. I've had similar experiences of being haunted by a song for years, even decades.

Sorry to go off-topic, but WHAT on earth did he mean??

I only like Kristeen, I have under the influence and I find it almost unlistenable
apart from hey Joe.

I think Colorado Springs from Sack is a great song. I don't have under the influence so I cannot comment on the rest of it.

I am pretty sure Morrissey and I do not have the same musical taste.

I do like Good Timin' by Jimmy Jones. He mentioned playing this 7" in an interview back in 91.

Sparks are my favourite band.

Also Lou Reed, Franz Ferdinand, New York Dolls,

Don't know alot about his musical tastes...

He was talking about the girls that used to go to the local youth club dances. They sounded like they were a bit scummy looking and he said you felt you might catch something if you kissed one of them. He was not talking about women in general.

I shudder to think what he meant... maybe he was referring only to a certain group of girls in a specific location, rather than the general insult it seemed to be -- I really don't know. But it seemed a disturbingly misogynist metaphor from someone who considers/ed himself a feminist.

Tell me if I'm overreacting: I won't be hurt.

EDIT: Alrighty, I saw Danny's post and I'm somewhat placated. He would know -- I'm pretty sure he's English. :)

Last edited:
No, I really don't like any of the music M gives as his influences. But, I think it's very much a "had to be there" thing. That is the music he was listening to as his life changed, and the music formed part of the change. For me, the Smiths and Morrissey were the soundtrack of my adolescence. As was Depeche Mode, Cure, New Order, and many more, although I know M has stated he hates all their music. But that's the music that was new and different then, for me. It's all about what you identify with, what stories the songs tell you. Intensely personal. I couldn't criticize someone's taste in music anymore than I could criticize their choice of sexual partners- both are equally impassioned and personal choices. Most I can say is, "that doesn't turn me on."

I’ve really enjoyed tracking and down and listening to the artists Morrissey mentions, I’m pretty impressed with most of his choices. I love the old 60’s songs- people like Billy Fury, Twinkle and Vince Eager. I’m also pretty keen on Jobriath, Pony Club, Kristeen Young and Nico. I feel quite indebted to Morrissey in some way for introducing me to some wonderful music I highly doubt I would’ve come across otherwise.

Unfortunately, much as I try, the New York Dolls just give me a bit of a headache!

Back
Top Bottom