Is Vauxhall And I Better Than Any Smiths Album?

Meat is murder is f***ing ace.

Meat is Murder may well be the best thing Moz has ever been involved in.
The album that challenges that is The Queen is Dead.

I don't understand how a Morrissey fan can think that MiM is anything other than the knees of a bee.

That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore, Well I Wonder and Barbarism Begins At Home (and How Soon Is Now on certain editions) are all great tracks, the rest I can give or take I'm afraid. I'll give it another listen.

That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore, Well I Wonder and Barbarism Begins At Home (and How Soon Is Now on certain editions) are all great tracks, the rest I can give or take I'm afraid. I'll give it another listen.

What about rusholme ruffians, what she said, nowhere fast, I want the one I can't have. They beat anything moz has ever penned, it's personally not my favourite smiths album but them tracks are unreallll!!! And I bet u listen to world peace and think its great..

No.

End of discussion.

I think Morrissey's best writing is on that album. Even if you don't like the sound of it, and for me it was the hardest to get into musically (but one of the best once you have), just listen to the words. What she said, Well I wonder, The Headmaster Ritual, Rusholme Ruffians, I've honestly never heard better songs anywhere ever.

His two greatest masterpieces are 'Meat is Murder' and 'The Queen is Dead'.
I think there's a very clear difference of emphasis between the two. The earlier album is more serious and the emotion is much more palpable, whereas there's far more humour on 'The Queen is Dead' and a lightness of touch - it's almost as if Morrissey perfects 'being Morrissey' on the latter album, but the earlier album is purer in emotion and sensibility. I find 'Meat is Murder' just stays with you in a much deeper way.
Having said all that, I think the title track on MiM is pretty pretty pretty naff.

I’m amazed at some of the songs on “Vauxhall” that people say they don’t like. Wow.

I tend to lump The Smiths/Morrissey together in name only, like when I’m telling people who (one of my) favorite artists is. I do the same thing with Descendents/ALL. Even though some of the ingredients of both are the same, there’s a lot of differences.

there was only one Smithsalbum that I even considered not being as good as as Vauxhall & I, but even that has
That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore, Nowhere Fast & Meat Is Murder :straightface:
still, Vauxhall has some songs I really love like:
The More You Ignore Me, the Closer I Get, Speedway, Now My Heart Is Full, Why Don't You Find Out for Yourself, & even Hold on to Your Friends
so yeah, for me, Vauxhall And I is a better album than Meat Is Murder :eek:
however, I really do believe that comparing the Smiths and Morrissey is, kind of pointless, especially for those of us that got into the Smiths when, or near to, when they first came out, so their albums belong to that bygone era of "our formative years" and honestly, I cannot imagine the me that would NOT have bought Meat Is Murder :crazy: played it a whole lot
but then years later, as an actual adult :squiffy: ran out to get Vauxhall And I :confused:
as I did, it just does not compute for me :o

for me, going from me being a Smiths fan to that of Moz's music seems like a natural progression :guitar:
although I've know of many from my youth that were into the Smiths but not really a fan of Morrissey's music
usually because its not as "accessible" or something like that :cool:

now that I think a bit about it, I am a bit fascinated by people that are either first get into Moz's music then the Smiths
or that really don't care for the Smiths, as a matter of fact, I know one such English woman right now, she likes a lot of Moz's stuff and even knows a lot of Pulp :thumb:
but the Smiths just aint her bag, the weirdo :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom