J. D. Salinger's uncollected short stories (on tape)

Skylarker

People come second, or possibly third.
I started recording myself reading Salinger's uncollected short stories. We'll see how many I get through. People tend to either love Salinger or hate him; I'm definitely in the former camp.

Here's The Young Folks.

Of special interest to readers of this magazine might be Vladimir Nabokov’s copy of “Fifty-five Short Stories from The New Yorker, 1940-1950.” Nabokov’s handwriting (in English) was small and fluid and precise; in books that he took exception to, such as a translation of “Madame Bovary” by Eleanor Marx Aveling, his correcting marginalia climbed all over the paragraphs like the tendrils of a strangler fig. Nabokov was also a professor of literature, and in his copy of the New Yorker anthology he gave every story a letter grade. The way he wrote each grade in the table of contents next to the story’s title carried the authority of one who expects that hearts will soar or plummet at the sight of his boldly printed capital. Many of the stories did not fare too well, and would not have got their authors into a selective university. Top marks went to Jessamyn West’s “The Mysteries of Life in an Orderly Manner” (A-) and Shirley Jackson’s “The Lottery” (A). Prof. Nabokov awarded only two stories in the anthology an A+: “A Perfect Day for Bananafish,” by J. D. Salinger, and “Colette,” by Vladimir Nabokov.

Back
Top Bottom