Jessie Tobias - 10 years with Moz - thoughts?

In terms of ranking the players, he just barely edges out Spike Smith.

Not suitable for printing. Generally disappointed that he has stuck. Annoyed that he wrote the sleeve note for Live 25. Gutted that his presence in part created an untenable position for Alain in the studio. Don't get me started on his songwriting. He is the necessary evil to look past in continuing to follow Morrissey in 2014.

I've heard stories from other fans that he is a very nice guy and that's as may be. Artistically, he has been a bad match for Morrissey. I feel like he has benefited from being a cheaper option than Alain. He seems to be a personal friend with Morrissey, which has probably cemented his place. But sometimes you can't work with your friends.

Curious to read this. I bought it on iTunes so no notes or anything.

Last edited:

Curious to read this. .
It's very strange and rambling, with all the Random Capitalization of his recent TTY statement: 'One of those months that feels like being trapped inside a Smouldering oven. Smog and a Stagnant heat...Dazed at a Stoplight'. etc.

I should have edited my post to read that I was annoyed that he wrote the sleeve note for Live 25 and that it was so cack-handedly done. You've reminded me again.

"Jessie Tobias - 10 years with Moz - thoughts?"

It's a win for Boz. No more coming in secondplace to Alain in the songwriting department and even BB knows that his current duds are still better than Jesse's best.

"Jessie Tobias - 10 years with Moz - thoughts?"

It's a win for Boz. No more coming in secondplace to Alain in the songwriting department and even BB knows that his current duds are still better than Jesse's best.

That was true before the current album but it sure as hell ain't true now. Neither Alain nor Boz ever wrote anything as melodic and jangly as Bullfighter, and from the reviews it sounds like Jesse's other new songs e.g. Smiler with knife, are even better.

That was true before the current album but it sure as hell ain't true now. Neither Alain nor Boz ever wrote anything as melodic and jangly as Bullfighter, and from the reviews it sounds like Jesse's other new songs e.g. Smiler with knife, are even better.

I don't normally respond to Anonymous posts - Why the hell are they allowed here? Who the hell are you anyway? - But am totally in accord here - Smiler With Knife is getting rave reviews, I'm excited to hear this song! ...and I don't get excited very often...

These are my favourite Tobias compositions. I think it's a great effort for only 2 albums as writer so far (not including WPINOYB). I can't wait to hear what his new songs sound like re The Bullfighter Dies.

In no particular order:

If You Don't like Me Then Don't Look At Me

You Have Killed Me

All You Need Is Me

I'm Okay By Myself

Children In Pieces

On The Streets I Ran

The Youngest Was The Most Loved

In The Future When All's Well

Last edited:
These are my favourite Tobias compositions. I think it's a great effort for only 2 albums as writer so far (not including WPINOYB). I can't wait to hear what his new songs sound like re The Bullfighter Dies.

In no particular order:

If You Don't like Me Then Don't Look At Me

You Have Killed Me

All You Need Is Me

I'm Okay By Myself

Children In Pieces

On The Streets I Ran

The Youngest Was The Most Loved

In The Future When All's Well

That’s a lot of gold, right there. Never understood why there’s so much Tobias hate.

from the reviews it sounds like Jesse's other new songs e.g. Smiler with knife, are even better.

I'd take all reviews with a grain of salt as they're more concerned about generating potential sales than actual musical quality, but you'll just have to wait and see.

Last edited:
When "the lads" were chided (mainly by the brits) during the Kill Uncle live shows for their lack of playing ability, I don't think anybody even considered their potential songwriting ability. Then to come out with the musical one-two punch of Your Arsenal and Vauxhall?? Glam, rockabilly, ballads, Smiths-worthy guitar tracks -- it was pretty stunning. Jesse certainly hasn't been that impressive. His tracks never surprise as far as innovation, but marred's list above is a solid list of songs (I even find the Sparks-like Sorry Doesn't Help a guilty pleasure). He just doesn't have the range of Boz and Alain. However, Bullfighter is a little pop gem and I'm looking forward to what else is coming. I'm an optimist!

Jesse certainly hasn't been that impressive. His tracks never surprise as far as innovation, but marred's list above is a solid list of songs (I even find the Sparks-like Sorry Doesn't Help a guilty pleasure). He just doesn't have the range of Boz and Alain. However, Bullfighter is a little pop gem and I'm looking forward to what else is coming. I'm an optimist!

You sum it up quite well. On the bright side, his songwriting isn't as bad as his guitar tone but at this point in his career he is what he is. I'll never forget one early critique of him during the Ringleader era when one commenter claimed that Alain could have written Jesse's stuff in his sleep!

I genuinely think Morrissey wants to be entirely front and centre, with the band as a group of session/pub musicians somewhere miles behind him. Morrissey's band are servicable - but they are very much a backing band. I think he might be worried he'd lose some of the focus and limelight if he worked with genuinely talented musicians. It's a shame, but I think he's opted for the easy life, which is understandable.

I agree. However, team Moz did reach out to Bernard Butler (of Suede fame) when Alain left. Granted Butler is not a household name but he is a critically acclaimed writer/player/producer.

Story goes he passed on the opportunity to focus on The Tears reunion with Brett Anderson. For me, the music on that Tears album is fantastic. Brett's contribution are what doomed that project (my opinion).

I still salivate at what a Morrissey/Butler composition might be like.

Ok, Jesse co-wrote 5 songs on WPINOYB

I'm not a man
The Bullfighter dies
Kiss me a lot
Smiler with a knife
Kick the bride down the isle

So far I've only listened to bullfighter and kiss me a lot. I must say I'm impressed. Kiss me a lot is amazing, in my opinion.

Story goes he passed on the opportunity to focus on The Tears reunion with Brett Anderson.

I still salivate at what a Morrissey/Butler composition might be like.

I seem to remember reading somewhere around the time, that Butler was 100% up for it if it was a proper collaboration deal - ie: working on new songs together, but that wasn't the deal available at the time. Instead it was a case of 'I've just kicked Alain out of the band, come along and spend the next couple of years touring 'You Are The Quarry', with no guarantee of anything beyond that.

Of course, Jesse grabbed hold of that opportunity and it worked out for him - but it's not altogether surprising Butler didn't jump at the chance.

Back
Top Bottom