Johnny Marr's new album - post your own review/thoughts here

It's hard to do anything but damn this album with faint praise, unfortunately. I was looking forward to it after hearing 'Hi Hello' which, though lyrically insipid, was a lovely bit of music. It's an album of nice moments and, if it was the product of a new talent, it would be quite promising.

It would be great to review this album on its own terms, without recourse to mentioning Marr's erstwhile songwriting partner, but it simply isn't possible to do so with any degree of honesty. This album reveals the staggering, insurmountable difference between the two talents.

The lyrics aren't terrible, because the lyrics aren't anything. They are so bland and pointless, it's as if Marr is consciously striving to avoid inspiring even a moment of thought in the listener. While Morrissey, for good or ill, inspires everything from love and rage to bafflement and utter disdain, Marr (at least lyrically) inspires nothing and nobody.

Marr's voice is fine. He can sing. But that's all that can be said for it. It's functional.

While it's arguable that comparing Morrissey's and Marr's lyrics and singing voices is unfair, the same can't be said for Marr's inability to find a vocal melody. It's here that the absence of Morrissey is truly felt. Morrissey approaches lyric melodies as a musician, his voice his instrument. Put simply, he crafts and sings a discernible tune. Marr's vocal melodies just sit there, subservient to everything else. It's as if Marr doesn't think the vocal melody is as important as a guitar riff or a bass line or a keyboard squiggle. It's as if -- and this is unforgivable -- he doesn't understand the role of vocal melody in popular song. Sometimes, as with 'Hi Hello' he almost manages it, but on the whole his songs are not really songs at all; they're instrumentals, with singing and lyrics tagged-on, masquerading as songs.

Ultimately, this album leaves Marr exposed as a musician (a sublimely gifted musician) desperately in need of a vocally tuneful and lyrically challenging collaborator.

Last edited:
It's as if Marr doesn't think the vocal melody is as important as a guitar riff or a bass line or a keyboard squiggle. It's as if -- and this is unforgivable -- he doesn't understand the role of vocal melody in popular song. Sometimes, as with 'Hi Hello' he almost manages it, but on the whole his songs are not really songs at all; they're instrumentals with singing and lyrics tagged-on, masquerading as songs.
I think you may have hit the nail on the head.

While it's arguable that comparing Morrissey's and Marr's lyrics and singing voices is unfair, the same can't be said for Marr's inability to find a vocal melody. It's here that the absence of Morrissey is truly felt.

Seriously, if you're listening to a record and feeling the absence of Morrissey, what you should really be doing is listening to a Morrissey record.

Quite.
Seriously, if you're listening to a record and feeling the absence of Morrissey, what you should really be doing is listening to a Morrissey record.

My thoughts? Less guitars, less riffs, less energy than 'The Messenger' and 'Playland' - instead it's slightly darker, with more extended grooves, less obvious 'hooks', and more of an emphasis on vocals, synths, bass and atmosphere. My first listen was not a positive experience, however I've enjoyed it more on each subsequent listen, so it definately seems to be a grower.

My one real complaint with 'Playland' was how closely it stuck to the formula and sound of 'The Messenger' - it just seemed like more of the same, only not quite as good. 'Call the Comet' does at least show Johnny trying to develop his sound and do something different - I suspect it's not the big guitar album a lot of people (ie old Smiths fans) were hoping for, but maybe the live versions will be a bit more 'in your face'.

Still too early to give a final judgement for me so I'll need a few more listens (and I don't trust anyone who makes a cast iron judgement on an album's quality within a couple of days of it being released), but at the moment it's floating round a 7 out of 10 territory - good, but not a classic.

After hearing it two times I have to say I can only stay for Hi Hello and Day in day out , but only because it´s Johnny Marr with some nice acoustic guitars. This is not my music and this is not my voice. LIHS is sooooooo much better in every way!

After hearing it two times I have to say I can only stay for Hi Hello and Day in day out , but only because it´s Johnny Marr with some nice acoustic guitars. This is not my music and this is not my voice. LIHS is sooooooo much better in every way!

Day in day out is probably my fav on the album. It’s a good album in a style I enjoy. It’s not gonna change my world or make me think to hard but I enjoy it when it’s on

It's hard to do anything but damn this album with faint praise, unfortunately. I was looking forward to it after hearing 'Hi Hello' which, though lyrically insipid, was a lovely bit of music. It's an album of nice moments and, if it was the product of a new talent, it would be quite promising.

It would be great to review this album on its own terms, without recourse to mentioning Marr's erstwhile songwriting partner, but it simply isn't possible to do so with any degree of honesty. This album reveals the staggering, insurmountable difference between the two talents.

The lyrics aren't terrible, because the lyrics aren't anything. They are so bland and pointless, it's as if Marr is consciously striving to avoid inspiring even a moment of thought in the listener. While Morrissey, for good or ill, inspires everything from love and rage to bafflement and utter disdain, Marr (at least lyrically) inspires nothing and nobody.

Marr's voice is fine. He can sing. But that's all that can be said for it. It's functional.

While it's arguable that comparing Morrissey's and Marr's lyrics and singing voices is unfair, the same can't be said for Marr's inability to find a vocal melody. It's here that the absence of Morrissey is truly felt. Morrissey approaches lyric melodies as a musician, his voice his instrument. Put simply, he crafts and sings a discernible tune. Marr's vocal melodies just sit there, subservient to everything else. It's as if Marr doesn't think the vocal melody is as important as a guitar riff or a bass line or a keyboard squiggle. It's as if -- and this is unforgivable -- he doesn't understand the role of vocal melody in popular song. Sometimes, as with 'Hi Hello' he almost manages it, but on the whole his songs are not really songs at all; they're instrumentals, with singing and lyrics tagged-on, masquerading as songs.

Ultimately, this album leaves Marr exposed as a musician (a sublimely gifted musician) desperately in need of a vocally tuneful and lyrically challenging collaborator.
It's a bit musically- schizophrenic isn't the word- but scattered? Diverse? He's definitely showing that he's comfortable with several styles, but I can't get past that so much of it reminds me of Love & Rockets, or The Cure/Bunnymen, etc. Plenty of it sounds like "Johnny Marr" for sure, but it's disjointed as an album, and the mood of one song at the end doesn't necessarily flow into the next song with any grace.

It blows:cowface: :soccerball:s.
What a catastrophe of a Comet album.:drama:

It's a bit musically- schizophrenic isn't the word- but scattered? Diverse? He's definitely showing that he's comfortable with several styles, but I can't get past that so much of it reminds me of Love & Rockets, or The Cure/Bunnymen, etc. Plenty of it sounds like "Johnny Marr" for sure, but it's disjointed as an album, and the mood of one song at the end doesn't necessarily flow into the next song with any grace.

It certainly lacks focus. It's really crying out for a great vocal 'melodist' to add another layer of musicality and tunefulness.

Leaving aside the vocal melody thing as others have said what I think, there doesn't seem a lot of point in him insisting on singing his own songs and then just autotuning hhis vocals into submission. It would make sense if you'd spent so much time on the music that you'd top that off by maybe getting a string of guest vocalists or just finding one. Given his obvious record sence, it baffles me that he can't see the importance of having a good singer.

Leaving aside the vocal melody thing as others have said what I think, there doesn't seem a lot of point in him insisting on singing his own songs and then just autotuning hhis vocals into submission. It would make sense if you'd spent so much time on the music that you'd top that off by maybe getting a string of guest vocalists or just finding one. Given his obvious record sence, it baffles me that he can't see the importance of having a good singer.

Could just be the enjoyment/reward he gets out of singing his own songs outweighs the objective truth that a singer with a stronger voice would make the songs better received

Statements like that are baffling imho. The album is okay but I can't hear anything I would call bold and inspiring.

Thank GOD, or hero :frogface: can never be dropped from his flagship record label, New Voodoo Records, a fine imprint:rolleyes: which happens to be owned by :frogface:.

Logically, this entails that :frogface: can continue to put out sucko :chicken:albums from there to eternity.:menholdinghands:

Maybe the next one will be CALL THE ASTEROID:drama:

Back
Top Bottom