Morrissey’s dream of a number 1 single finally to come true!

Maurice E

Well there are plenty of indie snobs out there who will claim to have no interest in chart positions but Morrissey certainly isn’t one of them! He never wanted his music to be confined to the indie ghetto. He wanted his songs to be played on the radio, to reach the top of the charts and to be performed on Top of the Pops!

So, intriguingly, here we are, nearly 20 years since the Smiths’ demise; his dream of having, or at least writing, a number one single in the UK hit parade may be about to come true (Stop me and Timbaland are currently fighting it out for the top spot; just 1,000 sales between the two; with huge radio support, the song will continue to sell well through to the weekend unlike when solo Moz songs are released and the fans get them early in the week).

It would be particularly gratifying for Moz coz the song’s off Strangeways which he’s always maintained (contrary to critical opinion) is the best Smiths album. Also, as it doesn’t sample the original, Mike Joyce won’t get a penny! Furthermore, the huge success of their composition could even re-ignite Morrissey and Marr's friendship!

So come on, get out there and buy the CD! This is finally a chart campaign worth getting behind. Having a Morrissey/Marr song at the top of the UK chart will mean a million times more than LIAP or MIM limping to 37 on downloads…

Last edited:
Well there are plenty of indie snobs out there who will claim to have no interest in chart positions but Morrissey certainly isn’t one of them! He never wanted his music to be confined to the indie ghetto. He wanted his songs to be played on the radio, to reach the top of the charts and to perform on Top of the Pops!

So, intriguingly, here we are, nearly 20 years since the Smiths’ demise; his dream of having, or at least writing, a number one single in the UK hit parade may be about to come true (Stop me and Timbaland are currently fighting it out for the top spot; just 1,000 sales between the two; with huge radio support, the song will continue to sell well through to the weekend unlike when solo Moz songs are released and the fans get them early in the week).

It would be particularly gratifying for Moz coz the song’s off Strangeways which he’s always maintained (contrary to critical opinion) is the best Smiths album. Also, as it doesn’t sample the original, Mike Joyce won’t get a penny! Furthermore, the huge success of their composition could even re-ignite Morrissey and Marr's friendship!

So come on, get out there and buy the CD! This is finally a chart campaign worth getting behind. Having a Morrissey/Marr song at the top of the UK chart will mean a million times more than LIAP or MIM limping to 37 on downloads…

It wont mean the same without Morrissey signing it. Its just a cover version.

Yes, it is rather bizarre. Even more so for me since "Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before" was one of the very first Smiths songs I loved.

I've now downloaded the song and given it a few listens. At first I was against it, but now I think it's not so bad. I actually like the orchestral arrangements quite a bit. It really is faithful to the original in many ways, but its personality is wholly transformed, too, which is exactly what good cover versions are.

A big drawback in Ronson's version, though, is "Stop Me" doesn't translate well into a soul version. I'm not sure he understood the lyrics. He mentioned "You Keep Me Hangin' On" in that letter on his website, which is the point of view opposite to the singer's. Essentially, in Ronson's reading, he's giving us an extremely silky, soulful liar. Adds a layer of irony to it, I suppose, but I don't know-- it's a little strange.

Anyway, I am happy for Morrissey and Marr. I doubt it will ignite their friendship, but it does validate their songwriting I suppose. Now if Andre 3000 would just do his version of "Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me" we'd all die happy.

I listened to the cover -- it was better than I thought, but the tempo made it drag on too long. I agree with the poster above who mentioned the orchestration, very nice. The vocals (I'm not familiar with the singer) are interesting, a bit like a more clubland Murray Lightburn (who they could've hired, too).

I don't know why, but somehow it recalled the Sparks' remix of Suedehead, which I liked more, probably because it has Moz' original vocals (accept no substitutes).

Edit: Oh, and although Joyce won't see a penny, he will see pennies from those who get curious and pay to check out the original.

Last edited:

It would be worth getting behind if I could be arsed but I can't. Hope it gets to number one though. Be class and another chapter in the Moz story... "Oh I've had a number one single. I wasn't on it but I've had that taste of the high life. I suspect they'll be asking me to appear on the next Band Aid record next!"

Having a Morrissey/Marr song at the top of the UK chart will mean a million times more than LIAP or MIM limping to 37 on downloads…
I have to disagree. I would much rather have seen either of those 2 songs make it to number 1 or top ten than that cover version. Dont mind the concept of covers, there's a couple of good ones on Smiths is Dead but not that. It just sounds so bad you don't even listen to the lyrics.

I have to disagree. I would much rather have seen either of those 2 songs make it to number 1 or top ten than that cover version. Dont mind the concept of covers, there's a couple of good ones on Smiths is Dead but not that. It just sounds so bad you don't even listen to the lyrics.

Yes, I too would obviously rather a Morrissey-sung song was enjoying the success of Stop Me.
But we're never gonna download an old Moz/Smiths song into the chart and, even if we did, radio stations wouldn't be interested.
So, if we wanna help Moz improve his chart profile (or whatever reason), it makes more sense to help this song get to number one.
The situation is currently marginal (Timbaland and Stop Me are battling it out for number 1) so buying the CD could actually make all the difference, whereas downloading or multiple-purchasing Life is a Pigsty/Meat is Murder would only have lifted it from 163 to 162...

Manson, I have to say, just to make myself calm down and feel better, that you're an absolute moron. First, you have a paddy about the 'Life on Mars' insults because you don't understand the question, and now the above. Plus, you're named after an average performer who can't sing and uses shock tactics to sell albums. What is the point to your existence?

P.S I'm sure you're a great human being in real life, but your internet persona sucks donkey ass.

the mark ronson version is the most stupid thing I have ever heard...cheapass shit...If that is going to be the song you get a no 1 hit with....
you want to go home and cry and die.

an advert on Kiss Fm calls it a work of genius or something! i don't think they are talking about morrissey/marr.
in the office i think i hear it being played about ten times a day.

morrissey dreams of it being number one so he can fill his wallet with cash
:D

It really aint that bad actually.

I just hate how the title has been chopped to just leave 'stop me'. I find that really irritating for some reason

an advert on Kiss Fm calls it a work of genius or something!

Everyting is 'genius' nowadays though. Or a 'masterpiece'. Especially in hair-indie outlets such as Kiss, nme etc

I just hate how the title has been chopped to just leave 'stop me'. I find that really irritating for some reason

This too bugs the living shit out of me, it's like they're trying to neutralise the quirkiness of the original totally.

I am not alone!

Well, I went out and bought the CD. Not for any musical merit, but for completeness' sake in my Smiths box, and also in the hope it might be a high-flyer.

Peter

Well, I went out and bought the CD. Not for any musical merit, but for completeness' sake in my Smiths box, and also in the hope it might be a high-flyer.

Peter

I thought about it but just can't bring myself to buying ANY single nowadays. Your Smiths box will be worth something one day!

Manson, I have to say, just to make myself calm down and feel better, that you're an absolute moron. First, you have a paddy about the 'Life on Mars' insults because you don't understand the question, and now the above. Plus, you're named after an average performer who can't sing and uses shock tactics to sell albums. What is the point to your existence?

P.S I'm sure you're a great human being in real life, but your internet persona sucks donkey ass.

i put a spell on you

Back
Top Bottom