Morrissey and envy

A

Anonymous

Recently I became aware of the fact that Moz very often mentions that he "envys certain people" or "envys certain characteristics in people". I find it good that someone can admit these feelings because I think, generally, envy is a feeling which many people don't find easy to admit. Here are two examples ...

On "macho, working-class youth":

"Above all, I envy their sense of freedom. They don't need to use their imagination all that much, they act upon impulse - and that's very enviable. Theirs is a naturalness which I think is a great art form, which I can't even aspire to. I don't feel natural even when I am fast asleep. The only impulse I have ever served is making records and doing sleeves. That was the opening for it all. Before that, it was all twisted."

Any other examples?

Last edited by a moderator:
Recently I became aware of the fact that Moz very often mentions that he "envys certain people" or "envys certain characteristics in people". I find it good that someone can admit these feelings because I think, generally, envy is a feeling which many people don't find easy to admit. Here are two examples ...

On "macho, working-class youth":

"Above all, I envy their sense of freedom. They don't need to use their imagination all that much, they act upon impulse - and that's very enviable. Theirs is a naturalness which I think is a great art form, which I can't even aspire to. I don't feel natural even when I am fast asleep. The only impulse I have ever served is making records and doing sleeves. That was the opening for it all. Before that, it was all twisted."

Any other examples?

hes to self aware to be natural. hes an observer and he is not asleep. also I think it somewhat important to qualify that envying something doesn't mean you envy everything about them and don't really think this a trait of Morrissey but rather a trait all people share in comparing there lives to others experience and a road not traveled. I say this to counter the inevitable people who will say then why doesn't he go off and live there and be one. I don't think morrisey any more enviable than anyone but rather that he sees more and is more aware and thus has more to comment on which he does so more articulately than others. its one of the qualities that makes him a great writer. hes no more enviable than anyone else living one life and posses an interest in human experience

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom