Morrissey in City Life's Best Of 2004

M

Miss Misery

Moz gets two nods in the Manchester magazine's Best Of 2004 list:

Single of the Year:

Irish Blood, English Heart

For the first time in almost 15 years, Mozzer's solo career is as viable as the legacy of The Smiths. Following on from the Channel 4 fly on the wall documentary, it seemed that the world was ready to embrace his eccentricities. From the self-depreciating, anecdotal lyrics to the pulsing anthemic chorus, Steven Patrick Morrissey had finally earned it, baby.

Pop Gig of the Year:

Morrissey @ MEN Arena

The night HE came home. You Are The Quarry had put Morrissey in a very strong position with his most cohesive material in years. And the sense of anticipation for this one-off was palpable, with all 17,000 tickets selling in little more than three hours. But nothing could compare to the actual appearance of the birthday boy (!) flanked by his band/gang. The set was a dream- 'Jack The Ripper', 'Irish Blood, English Heart', 'I Have Forgiven Jesus', 'Rubber Ring' and 'There Is A Light That Never Goes Out' all performed by a band who fed off both star and crowd for energy. No mere comeback, this was a reclamation, as Morrissey ripped his own shirt off not once but twice. As the man says in 'First Of The Gang To Die', 'He stole our hearts away...' Indeed.

Re: Also....

Just noticed that YATQ is also in the magazine's top 20 albums (focus, girl!) :

Alienation ever his muse, years spent rejected, indicted and ignored finally came together creatively in what has been the year of the Moz. Quarry delivers some of his finest work since Viva Hate, including the rousing 'First Of The Gang To Die', the bitter, triumphant 'You Know I Couldn't Last' and 'Let Me Kiss You'-surely only Mozzer could stage such a glorious comeback and relaunch Nancy Sinatra's career into the bargain.

Back
Top Bottom