Morrissey mentioned on Deceiver.com

Cassius

Bring on the Bull

PETA made the mistake of going after TMZ for criticizing punk rocker Morrissey (a PETA spokesman) after he chowed down at the STK steakhouse in West Hollywood.

Apparently PETA is fine with steakhouses (!?), according to the powers that be:

PETA big cheese Ingrid Newkirk tells TMZ she’s got no beef with steakhouses — she’s been to the STK in New York herself.

We’re wondering if it’s ok for Pam Anderson to shop for spandex at Fred the Furrier…

UPDATE: Michael McGraw from PETA just called us to say he was upset by our story, adding, “PETA is fine with vegetarians dining at steakhouses. It’s just like shopping at stores like Whole Foods that also sell meat, because it’s good to show proprietors they can make money by selling veggie options.”

But then it turns out that Morrissey didn’t actually eat at STK that night. He went next door, to the Belmont, and his rep says as a vegetarian Morrissey refuses to eat at steakhouses.

Neat trick, TMZ. You just got PETA to give us all their blessing to eat at Ruth’s Chris, Outback, and Sizzler, just to save face with one of the spokesmorons in their stable (and a lesser one at that). Nice going!

Here's the pic they used:
morrissey.jpg

i actually think it's good sense to say it's OK to go to a steakhouse under those circumstances. i've been to barbeque places and order the veggie burgers or vegetable plates. i think that everybody wins in that situation. you can go with your non-veggie friends and it makes your dining choices appear common-place and part of a workable daily life rather than something everybody has to treat with kid gloves. Veggie-heads are already stuck with the tag of being a "weirdo" without adding to it.

if anyone is veggie, imagine how few friends you would have if the only place you went was the local Vegan restaurant. it's like if you decided to watch only weird foreign films when people you hang out with would like to see a comedy or something where shit gets blown up every 3 minutes. it is inconvenient and completely at-odds with the reality of today's society.

Errr...how did you come across deceiver.com? Please tell me you don't regularly frequent it. TMZ's bad enough! But 2nd hand TMZ that continues to distort and bury the truth (Moz wasn't at BTK) way down in the story!?

Well, compared to these sites, SoLow is looking mighty fine! :p

i actually think it's good sense to say it's OK to go to a steakhouse under those circumstances. i've been to barbeque places and order the veggie burgers or vegetable plates. i think that everybody wins in that situation. you can go with your non-veggie friends and it makes your dining choices appear common-place and part of a workable daily life rather than something everybody has to treat with kid gloves. Veggie-heads are already stuck with the tag of being a "weirdo" without adding to it.

if anyone is veggie, imagine how few friends you would have if the only place you went was the local Vegan restaurant. it's like if you decided to watch only weird foreign films when people you hang out with would like to see a comedy or something where shit gets blown up every 3 minutes. it is inconvenient and completely at-odds with the reality of today's society.

Agreed. It is difficult enough to eat out as a vegetarian. I undertsand Morrissey's stance on not entering Steak Houses and fully applaud and respect him for it. I actually don't like a lot of the vegetarian choices at other restaurants and tend to have orders made with changes to suit my eating habits. Many vegetarian only restaurants I have been in don't make much I want to eat. ( Usually the wait staff says, "Oh you're vegetarian, Well we have pasta." That would be great if I liked pasta. And there are only so many salads one can stomach in this world.) At least at other restaurants I can order the sides and veggies. And it is always so fun to watch the waitress or waiter freak out about me changing their menu. I thought the waitress at Disneyland was gonna cry when I told her I wanted the Monte Cristo with no Monte Cristo sandwich- just the veggies. She said they couldn't do it. I told her I will pay for the overly priced meal just don't put the sandwich on the plate. She said she couldn't do that. WHAT? She started freaking out and i told her the last time I was tehre the chef came out and I explained what i wanted and it was fine. She wasn't so sure. Such a hassle every time. Eating out is not fun when you have less choices.

Errr...how did you come across deceiver.com? Please tell me you don't regularly frequent it.

I look at it sometimes. And why not? It's just celebrity gossip, not anything important. Granted, Deceiver.com isn't something that I'd cite as a source for a paper. :p

Errr...how did you come across deceiver.com? Please tell me you don't regularly frequent it. TMZ's bad enough! But 2nd hand TMZ that continues to distort and bury the truth (Moz wasn't at BTK) way down in the story!?

He wasn't at STK either.
Sorry, I couldn't resist. :)

What kind of joint is the Belmont? Sounds swank.

I think there is a difference between a restaurant that serves variety of things including meat, and a steakhouse that primarily serves meat. This is especially true for big chain restaurants, like McDonald's, that are (in)directly responsible for the slaughtering of millions of animals per year. I don't want to give them my money, not even for a bag of fries.

He wasn't at STK either.
Sorry, I couldn't resist. :)

I know all about not being able to resist impulses! :p

You know I'm using BTK to allude the Bind, Torture, Kill serial killer. BTK reminds me of what humans do to animals in factory farming. I thought of it because on Monday night, the night Moz was bothered by the paparazzi, there was this song played at the gothskate that featured the repetition of "bind, torture, kill" over an industrial beat. Stuck in my head.

What kind of joint is the Belmont? Sounds swank.

Why don't you find out for yourself? ;)

That grey exterior sure looked fugly. But it is a pricey place.

I think that PETA was doing a real balancing act here. Let's say that he did eat at STK, even though we know he didn't. Wouldn't eating a salad there add to their overall profits*? PETA probably doesn't want to make Morrissey mad. He might start promoting the Humane Society instead.

*Of course this logic would also mean that no one could go to a grocery store that sold meat. I guess you'd have to buy everything at farmer's markets and eat no processed food at all.

Back
Top Bottom