Morrissey: The king of Samples

haha i thought maybe you were joking, but i wasnt sure!

i really thought you would think i was joking! Next time I'll use "I am joking" smilies!

I was on baltimore sun's forum trying to give the poor ravens marching band a little credit. people are so rude and bitchy online in baltimore AND in real life! i think its cool there's still at least two NFL marching bands. and all these slackers sitting around at home are talking shit about the band, come on, give me a break, i dont see THEM going out there and marching around and sitting through the rain and snow to support a team that has lost 7 games in a row!

I read somewhere on this site a little while ago that the bassline to Alsatian Cousin was the same bassline used in Grandmaster Flash's "White Lines." I love both songs. :)

white lines.......DON'T DO IT!

"White Lines" used the bassline from "Cavern" by Liquid Liquid which is also a pretty nifty little tune. I seem to remember they (Grandmaster & Melle Mel) got sued for it aswell.

The piano bit at the end of "Tomorrow" - does anyone know what that was sampled from? It IS a sample, right? It's quite nice, I wish it went on longer. I like to hear it on loop.

Richard

Coupla things...
In the beginning of Swallow On My Neck you hear a slight commotion -a sniffle and what sounds like ice in a glass?

And then, it's as if Morrissey was telling me the answer for this thread on the way home tonight :rolleyes:
... as I listened to 'The Harsh Truth of The Camera Eye'. It has the camera shutter sounds in it (ala Girls On Film ~lol =o) and some other indistinguishable sounds- creaks, claps and slams -very haunted housey (which I like) and there's the part "...and it tells the harsh truth and nothing but WHOO! (yelp)...laughter's all..."

Geek that I am, I've made a list and I'll be listening for all these tiny hidden samples while I soak in a bath tonight.

Maybe I will come up with more... of course, the king of it all is the intro to "I Know it's Gonna Happen Someday..." I love that one so, so much, because it reminds me of a specific time and place. I also want to know what that female voice is singing.

but....P. Diddy is a joke

seriously, it was so lame when he was all over everywhere in like 2004, ENOUGH

back to the subject at hand...'teachers are afraid of the pupils' uses that orchestra loop, cant remember the info on it, but it's great none the less

Tend to disagree... man is a brilliant businessman. When the rest of those in his genre were buying up bling he was buying up song rights multiplying his income.

On top of that he basically reformatted hip hop making it radio friendly in a way that no one up that point had been able to at the level he was.

of course, the king of it all is the intro to "I Know it's Gonna Happen Someday..." I love that one so, so much, because it reminds me of a specific time and place. I also want to know what that female voice is singing.

It May All End Tomorrow has it as:
Original:

...Drüber Nachdenken ob nicht von jungen Leuten vielleicht mehr Impulse kommen als von Alten, denen nichts mehr passieren kann...
...Wenn es gut geht, wird das ???forum im nächsten März...
...Für Heiner Müller bedeutet es die Vorbereitung...
[Tuning]
...Die von Franken??? bis nach Berlin...Aber nun ist etwas von ???...
[Switching to French Channel]

Translated:

...We should think about young people who are ready to try more new ideas than ... old ones [people], to which nothing bad can happen anymore...
...If everything works fine, the ???council is going to...next march...
...For Heiner Mueller it means the preparation for...
[Tuning]
...Which reaches from ?Franken? to Berlin...But now something of the ???...

back to the subject at hand...'teachers are afraid of the pupils' uses that orchestra loop, cant remember the info on it, but it's great none the less

It's the opening of Dmitri Shostakovich's Symphony No. 5 in D minor. Funny that The Smiths intro music was often Prokofiev's "Romeo and Juliet" Suite No. 1 (as heard on "Rank")...unsurprising that M goes for heavy Russian classical.

The piano bit at the end of "Tomorrow" - does anyone know what that was sampled from? It IS a sample, right? It's quite nice, I wish it went on longer. I like to hear it on loop.

Richard

I adore that piano part, it sounds like they wrote it though, could be wrong, also thanks for the info on Teacher are afraid...

Back
Top Bottom