Snippet from Alan Bennett's 'Keep On Keeping On'

Uncleskinny

It's all good
Subscriber
My wife is reading the aforementioned book and read this snippet which some of you may be interested in.

F4z6CLF.jpg

My wife is reading the aforementioned book and read this snippet which some of you may be interested in.

F4z6CLF.jpg
Nice to know that even at his advanced years, Mr Bennett can always be relied upon for a good quote. I have a feeling this book has a couple of other small Morrissey mentions as well. I read in Untold Stories (AB's previous diary anthology) that he always replies to letters and decided to put this to the test a year or so ago; he didn't disappoint. Top bloke. We will lose something very precious when he goes.

Last edited:
The rest minus the above:

"3 December. Find an old note from Morrissey, c.1995.
Alan Bee
Yesterday you decline, but today your agent says you accept. Oh joy! If you fancy giving your cycle clips an airing I’ll be in tonight at 7, 7.30, 8-00, with cloth on and pot of.
Most loyally,
a snooker pal of Kathleen Harrisons."

"An element of Morrissey’s appeal, particularly for his Northern (or poorer) audiences is his rawness. Whatever success he has had has never given him any sort of veneer, no coating of wealth or sophistication. He still looks like a plasterer, or his mate."

" 9 August. What music we should use is decided initially by Nick H. reading out a list of songs for the boys to approve. The Smiths they like (whom at least I have heard of) and anything by Kate Bush; any songs that have been in Billy Elliot are automatically ruled out and Madness too (whom I also like). But whereas most of the songs I have never heard of, the boys have only to hear the title before they can reel off the words with an accompanying routine as it’s the music they’ve grown up with."

Regards,
FWD.

I read somewhere he described Morrissey as raw and that he looked like a plasterer or his mate.

hey Morrissey my road is full of potholes,start digging.cant imagine M doing a job which involved hard labor.

Re Alan Bennett saying Morrissey looks like a plasterer.
Morrissey could be very handy person we really don't know what he's really like -could be grouting his bathroom tiles as I write this.

Re Alan Bennett saying Morrissey looks like a plasterer.
Morrissey could be very handy person we really don't know what he's really like -could be grouting his bathroom tiles as I write this.
I would bet cash money that Morrissey can barely replace the toilet roll (DAMON! MY ARSE-WIPE! NOW! AND PRE-HEAT IT YOU SAVAGE! )
let alone grouting the tiles.

You mean this Damon fanning gods 'representative on earth.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom