The More You Ignore Me... alternate footage

Raphael Lambach

I was on Passions.. reaind about Morrissey videography and I've seen this [about Thhe More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get]:
An alternate video for this song has the latter footage mixed with footage from other videos (mainly "Tomorrow" and "Glamourous Glue"). This is uncompiled but was broadcast on MTV.

I've never watched this "alternate footage". Have someone?

Last edited:
I have this on a promo VHS, the audio is also different with the opening riff different from the normal version and the song also fades out sooner than the normal version.

I seem to recall that this was cobbled together by the record company as the original video shoot was delayed, with the knock-on effect of the proper video not being released to media outlets in time to promote the single. There's no unseen footage in it and it was fairly clumsily cut. Apparently Moz bailed out of the original video shoot in Los Angeles, which was set to be directed by the sublime Anton Corbijn. This delayed the whole project, with the video eventually being shot by Mark Romanek. For some reason, for many years, this video was attributed to the photographer Albert Watson.

I seem to recall that this was cobbled together by the record company as the original video shoot was delayed, with the knock-on effect of the proper video not being released to media outlets in time to promote the single. There's no unseen footage in it and it was fairly clumsily cut. Apparently Moz bailed out of the original video shoot in Los Angeles, which was set to be directed by the sublime Anton Corbijn. This delayed the whole project, with the video eventually being shot by Mark Romanek. For some reason, for many years, this video was attributed to the photographer Albert Watson.
i would have loved to see a moz video shot by anton..i love his work
his pics he shot of moz are divine too

i would have loved to see a moz video shot by anton..i love his work
his pics he shot of moz are divine too
Me too sista. I think they had some kind of falling out over that video shoot cos he's never worked with him since then. Maybe Anton asked Moz to dress up as a fish or something! It's a pity cos they seemed to work well together. I can't imagine many photographer's being allowed in to photograph Morrissey (and 'companion') in his Primrose Hill home, as Anton did in '94.

Me too sista. I think they had some kind of falling out over that video shoot cos he's never worked with him since then. Maybe Anton asked Moz to dress up as a fish or something! It's a pity cos they seemed to work well together. I can't imagine many photographer's being allowed in to photograph Morrissey (and 'companion') in his Primrose Hill home, as Anton did in '94.
you know i always wanted to know who came up with the idea of this particular arrangement/constellation:moz, jake or anton...
mozbelly-1.jpg

i want to a exhibition of his many years ago in düsseldorf.

Well, my frineds. is there some link where I can watch this video? I'm looking forward to see this version... I've looked for in on You Tube, I've googled it and I have found nothing about that. When I've read mention of this one on Passions I drove myself mad...Everything I have is only information and word..at leat, for the time being.

I like Anton pics..they're really funny. By the way, doesn't anyone know who the man with Morrissey on this "belly shot"?

Where's Flax...? D'you have a copy of this?

Last edited:
Interesting history, thanks. I can't recall ever hearing this background before. Was it in an article at the time?

Going through Romanek's site years ago I don't think he had any images/mention of the video. I guess it was too "minor" in his oeuvre.

The interesting part is the audio.

Mikael, I was wondering if you could you share with us this video? I do believe most of people here haven't seen it...

Interesting history, thanks. I can't recall ever hearing this background before. Was it in an article at the time?

Going through Romanek's site years ago I don't think he had any images/mention of the video. I guess it was too "minor" in his oeuvre.
This was in those halcyon pre-internet days when info was scarce and you had to deduce certain things. I recall a news story in 'NME' just prior to 'Vauxhall & I' that announced that Moz had walked out on a video shoot and a 'Rolling Stone' interview for some unspecified reason. Later on that year in some article on Anton I remember a reference being made to a recent abortive video with Morrissey. 2+2=...?
I'm mystified though as to why the video was credited to Albert Watson for so many years. My guess is that after Moz nixed Anton his big-shot management of the time (the guys who booked prestigious NY and LA shows without telling their client :doh:) dialled the next hot photographer-cum-director of the day and pegged Watson, and somehow the credit stuck, even though he chose to pass.

It's just a montage of "The Malady Lingers On" video? unimpressed!:mad:

The alternate video version for ' The More You Ignore Me.... '
You can find it here to watch/download - 3mins 39secs, from the VH1 channel.

http://www.vbox7.com/play:6900ad3b

Whenever MTV show a best of...this version is always broadcast.

EDIT: I couldn't watch this video...
It loaded... only and allowed me to watch
Is there some possibilities of posting it on YouTube?

Last edited:
Mikael
I watched the alternate video and I didn't notice any difference in the beginning riff? Is this the one you are talking about? The link is above on this thread.

Back
Top Bottom